THE BROWNS BOARD

New Orleans: Confederate monuments to come down

StinkHole

Stuart

Six monuments and statues to be removed.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/17/us/new-orleans-confederate-monuments-vote/index.html

Prediction: Washington D.C. 5 yrs. from now will undergo a purge of monuments.

Thomas Jefferson and others were slave holders. The monuments are symbols of a nation that from its founding was an oppressor.

We are why third world countries exist.

Stuart

Wow. Forgot about that song. Thanks for posting.

Steve, can you belt this one out?

Never really learned it.

I was thinking how ironic it is that the left-wing hippies used to revere the gentlemanly agricultural south and their rebel nature versus the agressive industrial wealthy corporate north.

Now they've done a 180.

WSS

There are people with wisdom,

and then there are liberals...

there is none so blind, as those liberals who will not see.

three liberals refuse to understand about magnets....

29586.jpg

Never really learned it.

I was thinking how ironic it is that the left-wing hippies used to revere the gentlemanly agricultural south and their rebel nature versus the agressive industrial wealthy corporate north.

Now they've done a 180.

WSS

what "liberal hippies" ever revered slave holders and traders? This should be good....let me get my hash pipe for full carpet ride magic.

what "liberal hippies" ever revered slave holders and traders? This should be good....let me get my hash pipe for full carpet ride magic.

Stuart

How you libs love to jump to conclusions.

So everyone that loves the South loves slavery?

While I don't quite understand Steves comment that hippies revered the agricultural South, never was slavery a thought when I read his post.

Uh no. Are you that dense, or just being a liberal.One in the same I know.I oft wondered why its "dense" rather than "sparse".Sparse is emptiness.

Dense...impermeable to knowledge, therefore ignorant.

There are people with wisdom,

and then there are liberals...

there is none so blind, as those liberals who will not see.

three liberals refuse to understand about magnets....

fB19z.gif

still wating on my slavery loving hippies.....................waiting.

where are they?

I assume you didn't listen to the song nor read the lyrics, but suffice it to say that those of you think history began 25 years ago are... (you can speculate as to that)

Its anti war, anti aggression and had little or nothing to do with a couple of percent of southerners that actually had slaves.

Anyway replace the name Lincoln with something that sounds Arabic and telll the story of the Civil War. He didnt care about slaves and didn't think they were equal. He just wanted to keep the Union together killed thousands and thousands of "his own people " to do so.

The victors in any war usually like to write a scenario in which their desire to slaughter, rape, murder, destroy and annihilate others comes from a desire to do good.

But it sounds better to say you want to commit those heinous act because slaves were mistreated.

WSS

Stuart

The people in the South should be no more embarrassed by slavery than the people of the North. The North had slaves as well. If these Southerners should be embarrassed by anything it should be about wanting to preserve slavery, while the North had already abolished it.

Which brings up an on going controversy. Was the Civil War fought only to end slavery? Were these monuments of Confederate leaders taken down because they fought only to preserve the right of slave ownership?

There are compelling arguments that the Civil War was fought primarily to end slavery, and other arguments suggesting that slavery was only one component.

R.E. Lee, a West Point grad, initially struggled to choose which side he would fight, resigned from the Army and fought for the Confederacy...but not because he wanted to preserve slavery ....too all you N.O. morons that voted to remove his statue.

... In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.

— Robert E. Lee, to Mary Anna Lee, December 27, 1856

Lee generally supported civil rights for all, as well as a system of free public schools for blacks, but forthrightly opposed allowing blacks to vote. "My own opinion is that, at this time, they [black Southerners] cannot vote intelligently, and that giving them the [vote] would lead to a great deal of demagogism, and lead to embarrassments in various ways," Lee stated

Oh how some things never change.

especially with their pants hanging down their butts,

and doping themselves out of high school,

and hanging out.

but, yo, they still vote for free stuff.....and the dems.

LBJ did that.... not all white people.

Let's just say that even states that did not have slaves certainly made a nice profit from selling that cotton, the hot commodity of its day, to the British French Germans or anybody else that bought it.

When the South threaten to start selling it directly to the Europeans, eerily similar to Saddam Hussein threatening to sell his oil for euros, what happened?

WSS

Archived