THE BROWNS BOARD

Pope Francis Issues Decree That Jews Should Not Be Told About Salvation In Jesus Christ

OldBrownsFan

Here is one of the the main problems I see with being an atheist and good argument for existence of God:

Nothing Cannot Create Something

The definition of nothing is no-thing. It isn’t anything, and it doesn’t have the power to do anything.

Nothing can also be defined as the state of non-being

So as we look at the vast universe which we know had a beginning (as the bible states) the atheists will say it all came from nothing? What logic is that?

I can understand that that's a difficult thing to wrap your head around, but there are some theories at the moment that are quite promising. The general idea at the moment is that this universe is coming from a larger universe of many more dimensions, with many, many universes, like bubbles on your bath tub. You might ask where did the bath tub come from, but unfortunately, we can't know that, or even make a guess to be honest. We're observing four dimensions out of a theorised 30+ so it's difficult to draw real conclusions.

Either way, using an absence of fact as a proof of god is a sure fire way to have an ever reducing set of proof, and if that's your go to, home run reason why god must exist, I think you'll be in trouble. Maybe not you personally, I doubt we'll find the answer to the problem in our life times, but religion in general.

If it makes you feel better to believe that a god created the universe, then absolutely, more power to you. I don't doubt it helps you lead a better, happier life, and if it means you feel more inclined to spread your happiness around those less fortunate then have at it. Just don't expect anybody to agree that there's a logical proof that it happened.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amigo hundreds of trillions more universes that all came from nothing doesn't sound much more logical to me. But again if it makes you happy and helps you lead a better life...

:)

WSS

There's not a proof that it happened yet, I'm not asking anybody to accept it as fact, just saying 'this is the current thinking' - it's very much the cutting edge of physics. People aren't even sure on the conjecture yet, let alone how to test it. But that's the general idea.

The general idea at the moment is that this universe is coming from a larger universe of many more dimensions, with many, many universes, like bubbles on your bath tub.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe you are on to something with this line of thought:

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:2,3—KJV)

There's not a proof that it happened yet, I'm not asking anybody to accept it as fact, just saying 'this is the current thinking' - it's very much the cutting edge of physics. People aren't even sure on the conjecture yet, let alone how to test it. But that's the general idea.

And no more believable that the idea that there might actually be a species, or being, much more advanced then our selves that we cannot truly comprehend, but who can actually think in terms of eternity.

WSS

Thanks to gftChris for reminding me of this:

"Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of [skeptics] to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time".

- Bertrand Russell

Archived