THE BROWNS BOARD

If the Browns win Sunday...

Aggie Brown fan

How would it change your perceptions of this team and coaching staff?

I don't think the Browns will win, but I think it's definitely possible. This is the Browns' Super Bowl this year, and Seattle might think they can just show up and win.

IF THIS WIN HAPPENS (and Johnny does well against that great defense), I would at least sideline the idea of blowing up this team, and the idea of punting Johnny.

I don't think the Browns will win, but I think it's definitely possible. This is the Browns' Super Bowl this year, and Seattle might think they can just show up and win.

IF THIS WIN HAPPENS (and Johnny does well against that great defense), I would at least sideline the idea of blowing up this team, and the idea of punting Johnny.

Super Bowl is the Steelers.

This is just a good test.

Zombo

We would have been through this before. I think Mangini went like 1-11 then won the last 4 games of the season.

Not sure that it would prove anything....except to ask: why the fuck didn't they play like this earlier?

Super Bowl is the Steelers.

This is just a good test.

Zombo

The Steelers will probably have a playoff spot locked up going into week 17, assuming they beat the Broncos. If not, that will be a fun game and can salvage the season and set a good tone for next year. A win over the Steelers would also probably save Pettine, Farmer, and Manziel for next year which would annoy a lot of people including me.

Dude, I'm as optimistic as anyone, and I can't begin to imagine a scenario that involves us winning. To be honest, I'd be happy with a strong effort. If we make some plays on defense, get our special teams looking good, and have a couple touchdown drives, I'd be content. Sure, you play to WIN the game, but we're going to maybe the most difficult venue to play, ACROSS the country, and against one of the hottest teams in the league.

To answer your question, "if" we win, I'd go nuts. It'd show just how hard this team is fighting, how our coach REALLY is making a difference, and how our players respond to him. But again, I'd be happy with a 24-17 loss. If we keep it close, don't screw up the red zone, and make it a fun game...I'd be proud of this team.

Would it change what AFC team was first to be eliminated from qualifying for the playoffs? Now that we're reduced to about 7 or 8 games with preseason level of significance - what would we learn?

Teams that drafted Blake Bortles and Derek Carr were willing to endure growing pains of their first round investments to the extent they were willing to be drafting 3rd and 4th overall following those rookie seasons. Blake Bortles didn't start looking like a 3rd pick overall until after he had about 20 starts under his belt. Meanwhile, Derek Carr's nice stats are also taking place while games are still competitive rather than once they have already been decided during junktime. In each case, they committed to their first round QB investment rather than telling him he'll make a nice backup as early as draft day. Gee, that wouldn't make a 21 year old red shirt junior QB feel like he's missing Heisman Trophy caliber performances all throughout the SEC and the partying and bedroom gymnastics that come with it. Then there's this year when the only time we beat an opponent by double digits prior to doing it again to SF - the QB was told he needs to retreat back into extended internship mode. Clearly, Manziel looked like he was much better prepared as a 22 year old red shirt senior than he was at 21 - but Pettine was very quick to put a fire extinguisher on the progress displayed vrs TN. Progress interrupted.

Today? We face a QB that once was in a hurry to leave the pocket and improvise (before he had to but enjoyed success in doing so). Even better on his behalf, he had a defense that gave him all the margin of error a QB could ever want or dream of. It had to feel like he could power snooze for the first 58 minutes even if his competitive drive wouldn't allow such a thing. It's still a calming many QBs in Cleveland have never had the liberty of feeling here since the year Testaverde was a beneficiary of a great defense and Leroy Hoard made the Pro Bowl honoring our running game. Not only could Seattle's D keep the opponent from scoring but they could score or get turnovers so Wilson could begin many drives on the opponents' side of the 50. Meatball on spaghetti, beast mode allowed the defense to rest and freshen their legs with a Superbowl caliber running game. Quite a setup. This year while we were disqualifying ourselves from making the second half of the season mean very much - we spent a significant amount of that time prior to our matchup with SF ranking last in points allowed and many important defensive categories. More specifically, there was no margin of error for our QBs so the outside world really doesn't know both McCown and Manziel were significantly better QBs than they were in 2014.

I began the year thinking we were in the right hands when I noticed we had a 7-4 start prior to an absurd amount of injuries in 2014. Play like a Brown just kept working and working and working so I got me some rose colored glasses I thought would be permanent. Nothing warned me we had insufficient talent. If anything, I thought our coaching staff and FO were working as well as Pettine announced their terrific working relationship was. Then it was like narcolepsy hit this team and everybody woke up de-programmed from what was working. Was 1-2 offseasons following years and years of bad drafting enough to say we have the wrong GM? We had some nice rookie seasons in 2014 but saw some soph slumps in 2015 (Bitonio, Williams & Crow). There were some vets like Kruger, Robertson, Gipson and others that had nice first years with the new staff prior to full install in 2015 leading to their slumps as well.

The biggest worry most of us had was what was going to happen with the QB position and did we make the right move with adding McCown? Before our St Louis matchup, I heard on the radio McCown had the best 3rd down efficiency or statistics in the league while he pretty much enjoyed one of the best passer ratings of his career inspite of the support our defense and running game gave him. Getting behind all the time put him in harms way much too often.

I get to Sundays now and I don't know what is in our best interest. The long time fan in me never stops rooting for this team - but the leadership of it remains in question. I almost liked it more when I was a kid where I didn't give a rat who the owner or head coach was while Greg Pruitt was scoring from anywhere on the field or Jerry Sherk was delivering the achey-breaky and sacky-sacksies.

I guess the silver lining is QB was the least of our worries on the field. I'm not sure how much I should make out of 22 year old kid enjoying 1 night out during a bye week. I'd hate to think my employer would fire me because I tailgated in Cleveland especially if one of the managers noticed I was often the first one in and last to leave in my commitment there. I prematurely joined the crowd of people announcing that was the last straw. If the NFL kicked every young QB that liked to party out of the league - the HOF might have a much bigger echo in the building. Jim Kelly wasn't exactly sober on the Elmwood strip of college bars when he was in his mid 20s. Brett Favre's addictions didn't begin with Vicadin if anyone wants to read up on his rookie season. And who thinks the beloved Bernie Kosar didn't start drinking beer until after his football career? When he could lead his college team to a National Championship before taking the Cleveland Browns to 3 consecutive AFC Championship appearances - when did partying ever stop Kelly, Kosar or Favre from winning? I think there's enough evidence Manziel had a much improved commitment to preparation for 2015 (which could have been his red shirt senior year in the SEC).

Will today tell us any more than last week told us? Prolly not so I guess we need to watch the young guys and hope they go pedal to the metal for 60 minutes and let the chips fall where they fall.

No. 24 Aggies Cruise Past No. 16 Baylor, 80-61

If this could happen in NCAA MBB last night, then anything is possible today. Go Browns!

Pfft... an unranked Buckeye squad cruised wire-to-wire over the #4...

Then there's this year when the only time we beat an opponent by double digits prior to doing it again to SF - the QB was told he needs to retreat back into extended internship mode. Clearly, Manziel looked like he was much better prepared as a 22 year old red shirt senior than he was at 21 - but Pettine was very quick to put a fire extinguisher on the progress displayed vrs TN. Progress interrupted.

Before our St Louis matchup, I heard on the radio McCown had the best 3rd down efficiency or statistics in the league while he pretty much enjoyed one of the best passer ratings of his career inspite of the support our defense and running game gave him.

I love it when you end up arguing with yourself...

that cat is saying to himself " fucking got stuck with dork as my human companion.....can you OD on catnip??? help!!"

Now I get why Stickhole was saying Mike Webster was the greatest Center Ever from Wisconsin. Now Webster is taking photo poses with his Pussy :o

Archived