THE BROWNS BOARD

Danny Shelton

RoyceRolls

As has been said before here, Ngata had similar rookie numbers. Not saying he *will* be Ngata, but to he say he definitely won't might be premature. When blocked one on one, he seems to move his guy back more often than not. I'd like to see him be able to get past the OL with something other than strength, but he's doing OK for now.

Better technique, all the cliches about lower pad level etc. will improve his consistency. Then you'll likely see him stuffing runs in the backfield a lot more.

As has been said before here, Ngata had similar rookie numbers. Not saying he *will* be Ngata, but to he say he definitely won't might be premature. When blocked one on one, he seems to move his guy back more often than not. I'd like to see him be able to get past the OL with something other than strength, but he's doing OK for now.

Better technique, all the cliches about lower pad level etc. will improve his consistency. Then you'll likely see him stuffing runs in the backfield a lot more.

Yep, I actually remember you listing Ngata's numbers, and it made me feel a lot better. I just feel like asking a guy to live up to Ngata's potential is a stretch. Not saying it's impossible, but they are built very differently. Ngata looks like a physical freak. Probably 6'4 or taller, and built like Mr. Universe. Shelton has the more...uh...rounder physique. lol. But...I still feel like Shelton has an excellent chance to be a solid cog for us.

Ngata is a couple inches taller, Shelton is about 10lbs heavier, at least on their listings. Hoping that's muscle, not turkey! I think Shelton can probably afford to shed a few pounds, while not compromising his ability, if he refines his technique. Should help his pursuit speed and stamina in general while he's at it.

I am hoping to see more consistent play from each of our three D picks this year - Shelton, Orchard and Cooper - and along with the Bryants, Kirksey, and maybe a new OLB, should have some decent talent next year.

"I am hoping to see more consistent play from each of our three D picks this year - Shelton, Orchard and Cooper - and along with the Bryants, Kirksey, and maybe a new OLB, should have some decent talent next year."

Yep, we need the young guys to really take that next step, and one or two of them need to turn into stars. Not every NFL star is a top ten pick. Look at Laveon Bel, Antonio Brown, and dozens of others. You draft a guy with talent, develop him, and occasionally a star is born. THAT'S what we need on defense. I really think Jalen Ramsey can be a good pick for us. Players at his position are rarely, if ever, taken as high as our pick, but he provides what we need. Of course, we also need what Joey Bosa brings, but whatever. Damn...we need too much. LOL. I like Ramsey because he can play safety or corner. Nice to have that versatility. And he makes big plays, tackles, and has that "confidence" that I want on our team.

You have to hope that this year was a down year for our secondary. A lot can of course happen in the off season, but with Haden, Whitner, Gipson (should he resign) and the Williamses, we're looking solid in there at least at starting level, if they play to their ability.

We have legitimate talent holes all over the place, though, and assuming we correctly identify the player, I have zero issue with BPA, it's how good teams are built. Plus, if Gipson leaves, we have a hole at free safety, and I don't know that Poyer will be able to step up and fill it at the same level.

Yeah, we are the swiss cheese of teams in the NFL, with talent holes all over the roster, but that's a good point about the secondary having a good year. The injuries were devastating, and Haden never got going early in the year due to not having hardly any preseason time. I think Gilbert's days might be numbered, but who knows, right? Sometimes things come together for teams, and while that hasn't been true for us, why not have a few things go RIGHT for us? Haden returns to form, Williams plays strong, K'Waun at the nickel, and perhaps Gipson comes back as well.

I think Gipson will be gone, but does anyone know if we can tag him? If we can, that might be a good idea. So we'd have most, if not all of our secondary back. Just need a little (a lot?) of luck with Gilbert.

I want to see Nate Orchard play in the next two games. We need another player that can give us hope. I want to see him make some more big plays.

I'm pretty sure we can tag him, but I'm also pretty sure we won't. He was pissed last year at not getting the right tag, I don't think we want to burn our bridges there. Either get him on a long term deal or let him go.

Gilbert is probably gone I'm afraid. He will get picked up somewhere and end up on a PS maybe, or might find a niche as a return guy, but he's just been way outperformed by other guys drafted much lower (if at all). He might get another year, if Pett stays.

BTW, I went and checked, Shelton had one fewer bench rep than Aaron Donald. Shelton is a couple of inches taller, and about 60lbs heavier. So yeah, he can lose some flab.

I know it doesnt seem like it, but our D line has really improved this year....in a lot of ways......but its hard to tell, with the LB problems and, now, DB problems......

But a couple simple stats to show more plays are ending at the line, than what was happening....

2014 D-Line = 48 tkls - 11 sacks - 49 hurries

2015 D-Line = 100 tkls - 13 sacks - 62 hurries.....

So....with 2 games still to play.....the D-Line has doubled its tackles(run game) and has more sacks and more hurries(pressure)....

And, considering it was mostly new guys....Shelton, Meder, Cooper and Starks....making the difference, Id expect even better next year...

Yep....another interesting stat....for those who think Shelton isnt playing well.....is that he leads the D-Line in tackles......

And considering he is double teamed on almost every play(and sometimes triple teamed), Id say thats an indicator of his play.....

Yep....another interesting stat....for those who think Shelton isnt playing well.....is that he leads the D-Line in tackles......

And considering he is double teamed on almost every play(and sometimes triple teamed), Id say thats an indicator of his play.....

By two, from Jamie Meder. Interestingly enough. Not a knock on Shelton, more kudos to Meder.

Ngata is a different player to my eye... has more "quick twitch" in that big body... and his 10-yd split (1.73) vs. Danny's (1.90) supports that. But Danny can anchor like few I can remember, e.g., Wilfork, even with high pads.

Shelton is a pig. Way out of shape and getting beaten all the time.

He sure did look like pig taking that seahawks OL and driving him into his own runner. Clearly doesn't belong on an NFL field. And you clearly have business evaluating the effectiveness of a 3-4 NT. Do you see a lot of Mr Olympia's lining up at NT in the NFL? They hittin their compulsories before every snap? Showing off those cuts? No they don't you rubbish wanker. Maybe Shelton could join you sat mornings in the park for some deep side bends though?

Archived