THE BROWNS BOARD

Take notes from R.Wilson...

thenew23

Russell Wilson just showed Pettine and Manziel how to win games as an undersized QB with mobility. The two QBs have a lot in common...

First, to Pettine, he proved today that you can get out of the pocket and run for 1st downs without being ridiculed by your head coach. You do not HAVE to win games in the pocket, but you do need to be able to. I saw JM pass up a few open running lanes because he's being coached not to take off, ever...

Second, to Manziel, just move the chains. Do whatever is necessary to get those 10 precious yards every 3 plays by any means possible. Wilson is so good at that, and I think JM has the competetive fire to get the job done...

I trully believe that Manziel can do everything Wilson does on the football field. What he might lack in character he makes up by being more athletic and having a stronger arm.

Obviously, Manziel needs better players around him to have the same type of success...

Take notes...

Pet would have zero issues with the way Wilson played today.

Pet would have zero issues with JM playing the way Wilson played today.

JM may have better physical tools than Wilson, but Wilson is far better between the ears... and I am talking solely about on the field.

Wilson makes reads and throws with anticipation... and you can note that all you want, but noting ain't doing.

JM may have better physical tools than Wilson, but Wilson is far better between the ears... and I am talking solely about on the field.

Wilson makes reads and throws with anticipation... and you can note that all you want, but noting ain't doing.

For the most part, exactly what I was going to respond with. Especially the bold.

If your argument is that Wilson is a better QB than Manziel today, especially playing with the Seahawks offense and with their defense in support, I don't see anyone disagreeing. If your argument is that Wilson is a more developed QB than Manziel that has a stronger understanding of the game I don't think you will see anyone disagreeing. That's not the point.

The point is can Manziel develop in to Wilson or similar? I would say the potential is absolutely there. Manziel has better physical tools and is a ferocious competitor. What he lacks is experience and talent around him. Wilson has been surrounded by great talent and a great and supportive coach his entire career, something Manziel can't say.

The greater point though is that the problem with the Browns is not the QB position, or at least it is well down the list. The OL is lacking. The defense is terrible. The WR's are mediocre to horrific. The TE is good.

Take the high draft pick and get another high end OL, a pass rushing DE, or a game breaking WR and build around those areas. The worst case is you build a real team around the QB and if Manziel flames out you have a team you can put a QB in to without throwing him to the dogs.

I've said this multiple times, and I'll say it again....Johnny doesn't run NEAR enough. I completely realize that Johnny needs to develop his pocket skills, and I also realize that scrambling is a good way to get yourself injured. However, Johnny leaves large chunks of yards on the table whenever I see him play. I DO love that he really is making progress within the scope of the offense, and it's exciting to see him look through reads and fire the ball from the pocket, but there are multiple times every time I see him play where he could absolutely GASH the defense for big yards and probably slide to avoid being crunched.

I'm curious as to whether Johnny is focusing so much on throwing from the pocket, or if the coaches have told him NOT to run. Even on his amazing touchdown throw, I think I'd rather see him run it in. He would've gotten hit, and he may not have made it in, but I think he would've. The throw across his body to Gary took forever to get there, and it could've been broken up. Gary did a nice job of shielding the defender and securing the ball, but even the announcer thought it was strange that Johnny didn't just run it in. There's no way to know if he would've made it, and ultimately he made a FINE play, so I don't want to seem like I'm knocking the kid.

Maybe Johnny just needs to figure out the balance between staying in the pocket and running. It's not like he's had a ton of playing time, and perhaps he's so focused on improving his pocket skills, that he's just not thinking about scrambling. The more he plays, and the more film he watches, the more efficient he'll get at picking his times to run. QB's running creates a lot of problems for defenses. You do it a few times, and you make them adjust. You start to dictate how THEY play, and not the other way around. Remember the Jets game where Johnny ran a few times for big gains? I believe almost all of them were wiped out by holding calls, but those are the kind of runs that can really make a difference.

It's not about NEEDING to run, it's about picking the times to get some big yards when the opportunity presents itself, and it's especially important when the receiving corp isn't exactly top notch. Look at what Wilson did. He didn't need to run to win, but when he did choose to run, it was devastating. It's just another element that the defense must account for.

And very few Cleveland Browns fans would have an issue with Mike Pettine if the defense gave up a lot less points and the receivers dropped less balls... But who's counting?

WSS

usually tho the big runs happen because of the holding calls. If he needs to run to win then he needs to go. the GREATS never needed to run.

The hate is strong with you.

Many great QB's have also been runners. Of course you have to be a passer first but being able to run is an extra tool that can makes passing and even running by the RB's easier. It forces a defense to account for the QB as a run threat and that means one less guy that is either rushing or covering WR's.

As for the competitor comment, of course being a competitor does not make someone a great QB. However if you are not a competitor you will never be a great QB. It's one of many skills any QB needs in the NFL to be highly successful.

Will Manziel be great? No one knows at this point. He has shown flashes and he has talent. He also has shown he has a lot of work to do. That's not unusual for any NFL QB with his level of game experience, much less one who has limited talent around him and a terrible defense. If you make a list of the Top 10 QB's in the league very few of them were better than average in their first 10 starts even if they had talent around them.

He's ahead off any QB coming up in this draft so it's a moot point. Let him play and develop like all the other QB's who came in with him. If after next year you have the same criticism, i.e. no improvement, then find another. But it's too late and far too short a time to find another in a weak QB class IMHO. The games I watched with the next savior playing showed he had too slow a release and did not go through progressions very well. Another project. Improve the players around JM and fix the D. Then we will be competitive.

Ag, as of now I disagree, but as always, I admire your devotion... ;)

If your argument is that Wilson is a better QB than Manziel today, especially playing with the Seahawks offense and with their defense in support, I don't see anyone disagreeing. If your argument is that Wilson is a more developed QB than Manziel that has a stronger understanding of the game I don't think you will see anyone disagreeing. That's not the point.

The point is can Manziel develop in to Wilson or similar? I would say the potential is absolutely there. Manziel has better physical tools and is a ferocious competitor. What he lacks is experience and talent around him. Wilson has been surrounded by great talent and a great and supportive coach his entire career, something Manziel can't say.

The greater point though is that the problem with the Browns is not the QB position, or at least it is well down the list. The OL is lacking. The defense is terrible. The WR's are mediocre to horrific. The TE is good.

Take the high draft pick and get another high end OL, a pass rushing DE, or a game breaking WR and build around those areas. The worst case is you build a real team around the QB and if Manziel flames out you have a team you can put a QB in to without throwing him to the dogs.

Context is important. My argument was against the claims the OP was making, e.g., " I saw JM pass up a few open running lanes because he's being coached not to take off, ever...", which IMO is absolute horseshit.

As a Browns fan I find it insulting to ever compare JM to R. Wilson. Who are you trying to kid?

John is a complete waste, he is the asshole version of colt McCoy at best. Mccown was this teams best qb by a fucking mile this year.

I get it though some lighthearted fans are so ready for lightning in a bottle that they will jump on any fucking circus bandwagon.

As a Browns fan I find it insulting to ever compare JM to R. Wilson. Who are you trying to kid?

John is a complete waste, he is the asshole version of colt McCoy at best. Mccown was this teams best qb by a fucking mile this year.

I get it though some lighthearted fans are so ready for lightning in a bottle that they will jump on any fucking circus bandwagon.

If that bandwagon is a QB with any kind of promise, sign me up. When was the last time we had a decent QB. Under 52 years old like your savior McCown?

Russell Wilson is a once in a decade find with a championship pedigree.

Johhny Manziel is just a guy.

Z

Well said! Wilson is a proven winner and he is elite! His second year he beat, Aaron Rodgers, Manning, Brees, and Brady. Then won a Super Bowl. He's light years ahead of Manziel!

The elite QBs have put their team on their back for extended stretches of games and carried the team deep into the playoffs, if not all the way.

Just like Big Ben in his first two seasons, Wilson did not carry his team... he complimented his team's strength... its Defense. In the process he, like Ben, showed that no game was too big for him... and that's good... it's just not "elite"... at least not in my book.

Ben went on to become elite. Wilson? TBD, but I like his odds.

Aside: Chuckled at comments on NFL Insiders today about how the Seahawks' staff has consistently emphasized to Wilson that he develop as a pocket passer and how that emphasis is now paying off.

Pretty stark contrast to this and other threads...

Im not saying Mccown is a savior but its a simple fact he outworked, outplayed, and just simply outclassed John. Like I said no better than Colt McCoy. Kids a loser.

How many games did McCown win this year?

How many games would Wilson win as Browns qb, with all the dropped passes, shitty blocking, no run game and bad defense?

Wilson is playing well, but he has been the beneficiary of an amazing defense, and a great o-line and run game. Johnny or McCown could make the playoffs with that surrounding cast.

I'll go with four for Wilson as a Brown this season... Did I win?

And SEA's OL is anything but great. As for our two top QBs at SEA's helm... I think you are half right.

Yeah, Seattle is declining............. The defense isn't what it was

Yet, Wilson has had a run of 5 games UNMATCHED in NFL history.

Seattle has been doing this for multiple years, and Russell has played in a ton of games. He looks so calm under pressure, and everything he does is smooth. Johnny is more frantic and erratic, and that's just how he is. Will Johnny get better with time and resemble Russell? I certainly hope so, and I really think the talent is there. Like I've said before, what does Johnny do with a top tier defense? With a MEDIUM TIER defense? What was Seattle, 9-12 on 3rd down? What does Johnny do with a few more possessions? If our defense actually makes them punt the damn ball? Seattle goes 5-12 on 3rd down, we get 4 other possessions...that changes everything. Oh, and the running game? Viable receiving targets?

I'm not saying Manziel is the second coming of anybody. He didn't play great, and he was inaccurate for most of the day. But good lord, our defense never gave him the damn ball. Our receivers didn't make the tough catches. We didn't break any tackles, compared to our defense who couldn't tackle my grandmother (she's faster than she looks).

Archived