THE BROWNS BOARD

Clinton says Isis uses Trump in recruiting videos, but Isis actually uses Bill Clinton and Obama

bbedward

I never did any of the hard-core OS work the necessitated a Unix system, and it was awful for gaming, so I switched back to Windows.

Had to use it at uni for a bit, that was red hat and the penguin one.

Part time developer anyway, no need for Unix or Linux.

I don't have any need for it either. I love it philosophically.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never did any of the hard-core OS work the necessitated a Unix system, and it was awful for gaming, so I switched back to Windows.

Had to use it at uni for a bit, that was red hat and the penguin one.

Part time developer anyway, no need for Unix or Linux.

Gaming is better now since steam came to linux. I have xbox though. The only gaming I do on it is emulating old consoles and it's fantastic for that

You guys are way ahead of me on this shit. My recording computer is Windows 8.1. I'd like to go to Windows 10, I guess, but Roland, the manufacturer of my console and digital converters hardware isn't going to write drivers for Windows 10. I think there's a workaround but I will have to hire the guy who built it to do what needs to be done. That remote viewing shit is amazing though! ;)

WSS

To be fair you're a musician and a bunch of us here are in tech jobs in one form or another. Thats like...I play guitar and I'm even fairly good at it but I wouldn't know the first thing about recording. Also I play acoustic so I wouldn't know a Marshall amp from a fender amp and a fender amp from a bag of frogs.

My Volkswagen has a fender branded audio system and you can plug a guitar into it since it has a built in preamp.

That's about all I know, my sister plays though.

Open source software is great though. And for most of everybody who only does basic things like use office, use the web, watch videos and such on a computer linux is perfect.

You don't have to worry about bogging down, getting viruses (not substantially worry anyway - linux is secure by design), or reboot to do updates and get frustrated and sling profanity.

Just install a friendly distribution and good to go.

The Chromebooks run linux and those are taking off, though they are more limited than your average linux distribution.

For the same reason as I love linux, idealogically, I dislike osx. Undoubtably it is superior to windows but you have to pay a premium for it.

I avoid anything Apple for similarly ideological reasons. Maybe slightly better, often not,all proprietary meaning to get the best out of it you need apple everything.

I've just never had any problems with Apple stuff except the iPhone 5 had a battery issue that was lame.

I'm still running a 2010 15" mbp that all I've done is double ram and replaced the spinner drive with a SSD. THe HD swap was the biggest performance improvement I noticed. Machine hums along nicely, doesn't hang up on me and is "powerful" enough for my usage.

I never owned a PC that lasted more than 18-24 months before becoming completely unusable.

The $premium is worth it to me because I just don't have computer hassles.

Does everyone vote on election day or a percentage of the population vote? The poll results simply are what they are and that is more people identify with being conservative over being liberal.

The poll numbers are minute compared to the numbers of actual voters. Poll numbers "being what they are" < Election numbers "being what they are".

I've just never had any problems with Apple stuff except the iPhone 5 had a battery issue that was lame.

I'm still running a 2010 15" mbp that all I've done is double ram and replaced the spinner drive with a SSD. THe HD swap was the biggest performance improvement I noticed. Machine hums along nicely, doesn't hang up on me and is "powerful" enough for my usage.

I never owned a PC that lasted more than 18-24 months before becoming completely unusable.

The $premium is worth it to me because I just don't have computer hassles.

Really? I still have a hp from the mid 2000s running windows xp that still works well.

Also the tech nerd in me rejects apple's walled garden approach. I am the master of the computer not vice versa. If I want to download sketchy software and get my computer infected with malware so be it.

Really? I still have a hp from the mid 2000s running windows xp that still works well.

Also the tech nerd in me rejects apple's walled garden approach. I am the master of the computer not vice versa. If I want to download sketchy software and get my computer infected with malware so be it.

Lol

Yeah I'm just the opposite.

Archived