THE BROWNS BOARD

Another defensive scheme question?

Browns149

This happened at least 3 times yesterday.

It was 3rd down and 6 or 7. The Browns rush 3 or 4. Then they play off the WR's 8-10 yards.

And at the snap, the db's back up even farther.

Might have been the easiest 1st downs all day.

Also I saw Rex Ryan say they have too many DL in coverage. Don't the Bills run the same defense we do?

Rex said it about his defense in Buffalo. But we run the same defense

On the plays I was talking about there was NO pass rush and Wilson just stood there and waited for his WR to get to the line and turn around and he threw them the ball as they were wide open.

We'd rush 3 on like 3rd and 5 and somebody would be wide open for 15 yards within 2 seconds.

We rush 6 in the same scenario, get no pressure, and somebody is wide open for 15 yards in 2 seconds.

This defense is just all-around depressing. Even before the injuries they were too.

This is a,defense that lacks NFL caliber talent. The aging defenders, no pass rush, they don't even belong in the conversation with other teams. Someone on this board suggested they gut the team. I agree. This team is so far off the competitive level!

The offense and its lack of running backs and wide receivers is pathetic. Can't watch anymore.

Guess I'm just a glass half-full kinda guy...

I remember at least a half dozen plays when we rushed 3 or 4 and:

- Wilson had no one to throw to...

- we racked up a couple sacks...

- Wilson had to run for what he could get...

- Wilson had to chuck the ball OB...

... or maybe I need a new glass...

Guess I'm just a glass half-full kinda guy...

I remember at least a half dozen plays when we rushed 3 or 4 and:

- Wilson had no one to throw to...

- we racked up a couple sacks...

- Wilson had to run for what he could get...

- Wilson had to chuck the ball OB...

... or maybe I need a new glass...

Na your glass is fine.

Buddy Ryan is rolling in his grave. Rob out of football. Rex with a suppose to be better personal line up than us, has now lost his Defensive personal, now talking. This system now does not work due to coaches that understand what the tape shows. The Wild Cat will never work for the same reasons Flipo, Pryor not fooling anyone till he throws the ball.

The biggest problem with our defense is the lack of lb'ers... this has been the bane of this team and will continue to be so until the dolts in charge get a clue on how to win football games from within our division. The fucking blockheads we got trying to run this shit show think drafting 1 lb and getting some old fa just fixed it for us... complete fools is what they are. They will never ever be a really good team until they actually invest in defense and start drafting 2 or three lb'ers every year until the unit is actually feared on the field.

no, the secondary depth reached it's limits of capability against

good wr's.

Josh Cribbs said again on the radio today...that the offense needs PLAYMAKERS desperately...

but the defense's problems were mostly coaching.

I'll go with Cribbs.

Even when the secondary was healthy, they sucked.

Joe Haden is an average CB, and well paid, Whitner is old and well paid, Gibson has looked like garbage all year.

Buddy Ryan is rolling in his grave. Rob out of football. Rex with a suppose to be better personal line up than us, has now lost his Defensive personal, now talking. This system now does not work due to coaches that understand what the tape shows. The Wild Cat will never work for the same reasons Flipo, Pryor not fooling anyone till he throws the ball.

I think you mean IF Buddy Ryan were dead, he would be rolling in his grave.

Even when the secondary was healthy, they sucked.

Not last year. Ask A. J. Green and Antonio Brown.

Haden is all pro for a reason. He is having a tough year this year.

I hope he comes back to form next year.

How good was he when he got burned for a late Td against Jax last year or when he got beat all day by the Jets this year....

He is no great shut down CB

never was

He is like Johnny, fools gold.....Looks good sometimes, and then looks like crap

Joe Haden is one of the most overrated CB in the NFL. Always has been.

I think you mean IF Buddy Ryan were dead, he would be rolling in his grave.

I apologize to all Ryan's in the world. Buddy is just fine at the age of 84 but he did lose his wife to Alzheimer per Wicko. Send no Bounty Thugs ;) Needs to retrain his Ryan Tree (part 6).

Watching the Saints tonight. I'm guessing they run the same defense as the Browns......

The Ryan family defense has been figured out.

They all give up big plays

Joe Haden gives them up every week

Just watch the games

When the other team needs a big play, they TARGET Haden

only because he was playing hurt.

look at his stats against the leagues best wr's last year.

I'm correct here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/11/24/Head-to-head-Steelers-WR-Antonio-Brown-vs-Browns-CB-Joe-Haden/stories/201311240090

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap2000000284211/article/start-your-wrs-against-joe-haden-at-your-own-risk

yes, that's from 2013. He struggled this year. I hope he's okay for next year.

Ipo is coming....

You can claim Haden is all that

watch him play. He gets beat all the time.

He gets beat way more then he makes a play

Almost anyone can make the pro-bowl

Look at Whitner, or Gibson

I truly believe our corners are told to play that far off the ball because the coaches know they would get beat over the top on every play if they started at the line if scrimmage.. Our strategy against Seattle looked like it was solely concerned with avoiding the big play. The defense did this effectively. The problem is Seattle dinked and dunked across the field for long scoring drives and made us pay anyway..

I apologize to all Ryan's in the world. Buddy is just fine at the age of 84 but he did lose his wife to Alzheimer per Wicko. Send no Bounty Thugs ;) Needs to retrain his Ryan Tree (part 6).

No apology needed, I would say the rest of your post was spot on.

This happened at least 3 times yesterday.

It was 3rd down and 6 or 7. The Browns rush 3 or 4. Then they play off the WR's 8-10 yards.

And at the snap, the db's back up even farther.

Might have been the easiest 1st downs all day.

Also I saw Rex Ryan say they have too many DL in coverage. Don't the Bills run the same defense we do?

I see what you are saying, and the short answer is...there is no short answer. We tried a bunch of different looks, but nothing worked on third down. Seattle was totally in control and it was impressive. Even if we DID manage to get a little pressure on Russell, he just turbo shoots out of the defender's way, and his receivers are VERY adept at getting open for him. As far as the 3rd and 6's when they just ran a simple "stop route" at the sticks...that shit is annoying. It's also very difficult to stop. Our defender can't get beat on the "stop and go" route, because very likely that's a touchdown. Add in the fact that it's Gaines or Bademosi out there defending it, or even Desir...it's just not a formula for success. The Seattle offense was about as well-oiled as I've ever seen. They had an answer for everything, and it just goes to show how much talent we DON'T have.

Right.....we usually play man and try to bump the WR at the line(inside 5 yrds)......But Bademosi, Gaines and Desir definitely are not good enough to play man and, therefore, play back some.....

I will say that Gaines and Whitner got into it on the sideline and it was because Gaines was playing back too far and Whitner got after him about it....so, at least, Whitner was trying to get him to step up and take on the WR man to man.....

And, while Gaines has made a few good plays and looks decent for a 6th rounder in his 3rd game.....neither he, Desir nor Bademosi are starter quality players(right now).....and having 2 of them on the field at the same time(which we do) is a HUGE liability and something any good QB could take advantage of......

You can claim Haden is all that

watch him play. He gets beat all the time.

He gets beat way more then he makes a play

Almost anyone can make the pro-bowl

Look at Whitner, or Gibson....we don't have a player on this team by that name.

And Joe H. has been hurt....so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Right.....we usually play man and try to bump the WR at the line(inside 5 yrds)......But Bademosi, Gaines and Desir definitely are not good enough to play man and, therefore, play back some.....

I will say that Gaines and Whitner got into it on the sideline and it was because Gaines was playing back too far and Whitner got after him about it....so, at least, Whitner was trying to get him to step up and take on the WR man to man.....

And, while Gaines has made a few good plays and looks decent for a 6th rounder in his 3rd game.....neither he, Desir nor Bademosi are starter quality players(right now).....and having 2 of them on the field at the same time(which we do) is a HUGE liability and something any good QB could take advantage of......

That's basically it in a nutshell. Our scheme requires a high level of skill at the CB position, mainly being adept at bump and run, isolation coverage. Bademosi isn't anywhere NEAR able to run that kind of scheme effectively, and again, what completely screwed our defense was the ineffectiveness of Justin Gilbert. Once Haden went down, we didn't have a guy that we could plug in and play. That started a domino effect that we couldn't recover from. Should we have better backups that fit the scheme? Should our coaches have the ability to make adjustments? I don't know, but what I DO know is watching Bademosi out there hurts to watch.

Archived