THE BROWNS BOARD

Another defensive scheme question?

Browns149

You can claim Haden is all that

watch him play. He gets beat all the time.

He gets beat way more then he makes a play

Almost anyone can make the pro-bowl

Look at Whitner, or Gibson

Are you referring to this season alone? Because it feels like you're basing everything on your short term memory.

Let me say this now. Haden isn't your physical specimen playing CB. He doesn't have elite speed or acceleration nor size.

What he does have is great footwork, hand usage, route recognition and the ability to flip his hips, plant his foot in the ground and drive on the route. Couple that with having the attitude of a guy that was never picked first for church basketball and you have a fine DB.

Joe has been a damn good corner for several years and when you have a hip injury playing DB, few things can be worse to hinder your ability to play to the strengths you've been blessed with.

It's no coincidence Gipson's play has fallen off. He's no longer being asked to do what he does best - recognize route tree's and play center field. It's what makes Earl Thomas so damn great. If you ask a safety to constantly play over the top and limit where he can roam, you're going to see a decrease in game changing plays, pretty simple.

Also, when you're in man coverage THAT much.. WR's in this league will make catches. They're professional athlete's as well and you're going to lose a few battles here and there.

That's basically it in a nutshell. Our scheme requires a high level of skill at the CB position, mainly being adept at bump and run, isolation coverage. ...

Once Haden went down, we didn't have a guy that we could plug in and play. That started a domino effect that we couldn't recover from.

Should we have better backups that fit the scheme? Should our coaches...make adjustments? I don't know, but what I DO know is watching Bademosi out there hurts to watch.

Right.....and that domino effect really hurt us.....now our #2 is covering a #1.....and our #3 or #4 or #5 are covering a #2......and the only backups are #4's or worse.....

We HAVE made a number of adjustments though....like using Gipson AND Whitner to cover more than ever and help the out manned CB's ......but, in truth, its not really helped that much......and has cost us some sacks, int's and run support.....

We also have been playing more nickle/dime coverages to protect against the long plays and keep things underneath, but that has cost us some pass rush opportunities too....which makes folks bitch about only rushing 3 or 4 men.....BUT, without DB's, we would get eaten alive if we blitzed all the time or sent the whole group....(its a vicious cycle)

Are you referring to this season alone? Because it feels like you're basing everything on your short term memory.

It's no coincidence Gipson's play has fallen off. He's no longer being asked to do what he does best - recognize route tree's and play center field. It's what makes Earl Thomas so damn great. If you ask a safety to constantly play over the top and limit where he can roam, you're going to see a decrease in game changing plays, pretty simple.

Similar story with Whitner, who basically got moved forward to a LB type of role last year to help out in the run D.....While Gip played center field and the CB's just covered their men one on one......

This year....CB's cant cover.....so both Safeties adjust back......cover over the top.....and try to assist in the pass D, but it costs us a lot in the short game, run D, pass rush and underneath stuff....

And....apparently.....using any OLB's to cover the short stuff is a BIG no no(and a fire worthy offense)......even though the safeties cant cover for the LB's AND DB's at the same time.....

Longshot maybe, but I wonder if Gilbert is a potential FS???

He just seems like a rangy, centerfield type more than a bump and run cover corner...

Tackling is a big question, but that seemed to improve with his ST play.

He just seems like a rangy, centerfield type more than a bump and run cover corner...

Right on all counts.....he certainly is talented enough to be a great one......

And....Id say he's not tough enough....but did do a great job headhunting this year.....his money is guaranteed, so might as well get what we can out of him.....

Something I was wondering. His awareness in zone coverage and falling off to another man isn't terrible.

Actually, I'd say that pick six on Luck last year means he has little fear of jumping routes when presented. My question is

does he have the ability to make the correct decision in coverage when presented with choice(s)?

Most of the criticism I can recall for Gilbert has been "not trusting his technique" which I take to refer to man coverage. Can't remember reading anything positive or negative about his decision making.

Archived