THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns can essentially have two first-round picks (again)

Zombo

Dude ! Take the MOST TALENTED PLAYER AVAILABLE regardless of position and quit "down sizing" season after season after season. This team needs an influx of elite players. Not multiple 3rd 4th and 5ths next year.

Since trading down, passing on Julio Jones an Kalil Mack have worked out so well for us. Yeah, there was plenty of talent to be had lower. But as usual, the Browns screwed up. Just take the sure thing for a change, OK?

They met the "eye" test and most had them picked 1-2 all last year. They are good enough to meet your definition of a take as you described in the other thread. And they were way ahead of anyone coming out this year.

Turns out both were "takes", but I did have some doubt about Mariotta.

I haven't personally haven't done enough work to say which, if any, 2016 candidate is in their company, but some discussions put Lynch and/or Goff there.

The trades didn't kill us, the picks certainly did. What exacerbates the problem is the players would could've taken turned out to be to best WR on earth, and another very talented WR. Phil Taylor was supposed to be a pretty safe pick. I thought he'd be fine, if not really good. Nope. Justin Gilbert was highly ranked by many people as well, and the allure of him playing along side of Haden sounded brilliant. Nope.

Shelton will be fine, if not a stand out player. He has character, work ethic, and can evolve into a solid player. Erving...well. I refuse to judge him on one year, but damn if what I saw didn't scare me. It's hard to imagine that switching to center will matter THAT much. I mean, getting knocked on your ass all the time can happen at center just like it can at guard. Lord I hope he works out.

No, the picks have killed us, not the trades.

True to a point, but remember the draft is designed to help the weaker teams get stronger.

We traded down with the Ratbirds and took Winslow, they took Ngata.

We had #4, 17, & 35 2 years ago, traded down to #8, 22.

There's more examples, but to me it's just dumb to trade down when so much talent is sitting there right in front of you.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/12/23/10661252/cleveland-browns-vs-barnyard-chickens

Science confirms barnyard chickens are better at drafting than the Cleveland Browns

Things could have been better for the Cleveland Browns this year. They could have been better last year, too, and the year before that, and the year before that. There are a lot of reasons for this, foremost among which is that they just can't seem to draft well. Johnny Manziel -- a tire-fire-in-progress and the team's first-round pick in 2014 -- is a case in point.

So Cleveland's Fox affiliate had comedian Mike Polk run an experiment: set a trio of chickens loose in a pen with prospective 2015 draft picks written on poker chips and see how their choices compared with the Browns'.
bawkbawkbawk
The chickens chose, among others, Khalil Mack, Kelvin Benjamin and Anthony Barr.
"Would the Browns be a better team if they had three common barnyard chickens drafting for them instead of the Cleveland Browns?" asked Polk. "According to our results, it would certainly appear so."
"But one thing's for certain: They couldn't have done much worse."

The chickens chose, among others, Khalil Mack, Kelvin Benjamin and Anthony Barr.

And in addition to their pick skills those chickens have mad trade skills to land the #5, #9 and #28 overall picks in one draft. :)

According to the CBS article; Titans would draft Laremy Tunsil OT from Ole Miss and Browns would draft Joey Bosa.

Wow I can't wait! Wake me up on draft day! Unless Farmer is still there?

The trade downs aren't what has hurt this roster.

If we had passed on Julio Jones, but then taken Heyward, Rieff, Alshon or Floyd - then our feeling would have been that we made out like a bandit. Additional picks don't hurt. Taking Phil Taylor and Brandon Weeden does.

Right....exactly.....some dont get this though.....

If I sell you a $5k car for $25k.....I just made a GREAT deal.....period....(no matter how I plan to spend that $)

Now...If I go and blow the $25k on shittier car.....then the second deal was a bust.....but that does not eliminate how good the first deal was or suddenly make it a bad one.....

So.....the #4 traded for #9 and #19 and a 4th?.....great deal......would do it again.....and again.....

But....using those earnings to purchase Gilbert, Erving and Campbell.....not such a great deal.....

True to a point, but remember the draft is designed to help the weaker teams get stronger.

We traded down with the Ratbirds and took Winslow, they took Ngata.

No...that is completely the wrong year........we traded with the ratbirds who took Ngata....and we took Kameron Wimbly.....a much worse deal

We had #4, 17, & 35 2 years ago, traded down to #8, 22.

There's more examples, but to me it's just dumb to trade down when so much talent is sitting there right in front of you.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/12/23/10661252/cleveland-browns-vs-barnyard-chickens

Science confirms barnyard chickens are better at drafting than the Cleveland Browns

Things could have been better for the Cleveland Browns this year. They could have been better last year, too, and the year before that, and the year before that. There are a lot of reasons for this, foremost among which is that they just can't seem to draft well. Johnny Manziel -- a tire-fire-in-progress and the team's first-round pick in 2014 -- is a case in point.

So Cleveland's Fox affiliate had comedian Mike Polk run an experiment: set a trio of chickens loose in a pen with prospective 2015 draft picks written on poker chips and see how their choices compared with the Browns'.
bawkbawkbawk
"Would the Browns be a better team if they had three common barnyard chickens drafting for them instead of the Cleveland Browns?" asked Polk. "According to our results, it would certainly appear so."

And, honestly, this surprises me not at all.

According to the CBS article; Titans would draft Laremy Tunsil OT from Ole Miss and Browns would draft Joey Bosa.

Wow I can't wait! Wake me up on draft day! Unless Farmer is still there

That could also make some sense for them.......they have what they think is a young franchise QB........and the best thing they can do for him is to get him protection.......something the Browns never did at all for Tim Couch.

So.....the #4 traded for #9 and #19 and a 4th?.....great deal......would do it again.....and again.....

Most years, yes. Much of the "we missed him" is pure hindsight. But we all have our favorite, real-time, misstep examples. For some it's Julio... others AJ...

In 2014 I still take that deal, however, even with Sammie, who has quietly put together a fine sophomore season, cued up to be my first in the line of next WRs we "missed".

But in 2014 I thought we were building a Defense... and Khalil Mack was unexpectedly there for the taking.

Right....exactly.....some dont get this though.....

If I sell you a $5k car for $25k.....I just made a GREAT deal.....period....(no matter how I plan to spend that $)

Now...If I go and blow the $25k on shittier car.....then the second deal was a bust.....but that does not eliminate how good the first deal was or suddenly make it a bad one.....

But....using those earnings to purchase Gilbert, Erving and Campbell.....not such a great deal.....

But they're good guys nonetheless. :P

tow-mater-1680x1050.jpg

bawkbawkbawk

I thought so.....

I guess my analogy of using a blindfolded, visually impaired orangutan, in a dark room throwing a dart over his shoulder at a spinning draft board wasn't too far fetched after all ;)

I used the blind monkey analogy.... :)

Archived