THE BROWNS BOARD

Skimmers

OldBrownsFan

My son stopped at a Speedway last week and noticed the door at the pump where you swipe your credit card seemed like it had been tampered with and notified the manager at Speedway and also called the police. The dispatcher at the PD took his message but never passed it on to any officers and the manager at Speedway blew it off as something the maintenance man had done.

About a week later my son saw on his account where someone in Indiana was using his credit card making purchases. He called the bank immediately and they put a hold on his account. He again went to Speedway and there were people using that same pump he had already told the manager and police about. This time he called the police again and when the dispatcher took his report he said he wanted an officer to meet him at Speedway. When the officer arrived he saw what my son was talking about and found a skimmer inside the gas pump. He was furious at both Speedway and his own dispatcher. How many people were needlessly ripped off because no action was taken a week ago?

Anyway if you use your credit card to pump gas be careful if you see any tampering with the pump. My son took a video with his cell phone as to what he saw.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Skeeter1234/Skimmers/IMG_11901.mp4

I saw this on the news, and should have posted it. We look at them now, though

I don't know that they've had it happen in Ohio....

More criminals/freeloaders who somehow feel they are entitled to what others

have because they work, or are disabled and on assistance...

Worthless dirtbags that do this... they should just deport them to a foreign jail and never

let them come back.

That's what Mexico does.... they deport them here.... :mad:

I assume that the chip readers are in the process of being cracked as we speak.

:)

WSS

The chip cards create a unique identifier every time they're scanned. So even if they stole that identifier it couldn't be used again.

With the old magnetic stripe, they just transmit your raw credit card number - so if they steal it they can use it anywhere.

Ditto mobile payments - are also generating "fake" card numbers when they're used. Or they have a card number that can only be used by your specific device and from nowhere else.

I am so glad you brought this up. I'm going to be very careful in the future. I heard about this a few days ago on the radio down here in Tampa Bay Area.

With technology comes even more clever criminals. It's what we get for raising a generation of listless, slugs smoking dope on our hard earned money. This should be a wake up call.

Good help is hard to find these days as well. When my son told the police officer he had reported this gas station to the police about a week ago the officer radioed dispatch and the dispatcher denied any knowledge of my son ever reporting this. Then my son showed the police officer on his cell phone the time and date when he made the call to the police and the officer got on the radio again and with some colorful language told the dispatcher to check the logs to see who the dispatcher was at that time and date and took the report and failed to notify any officers. Now the dispatcher who had denied any knowledge of my son even making this report came back on the radio and said "it was me".

Then you have a Speedway manager who was told three times by my son he needed to check out that pump and who did nothing even though right now there have been many reports about skimmers in Ohio. This manager had little regard for his customers and you just wonder how many other customers besides my son will have their credit card accounts ripped off because of the manager not doing anything.

They also put cameras on the edge sometimes that record your information.

Everybody has chip cards now though, so use those readers where possible. Or pay mobile, sheetz takes apay at the pump

My son was showing me about the chip cards yesterday and how they work as I hadn't heard about them before. Also he was telling me he never pumped gas at the Speedway as he saw right away something was wrong with the pump after he swiped the card and he canceled the transaction immediately but by then it was too late.

It will probably be a constant battle with new technology to stop criminals and criminals finding new ways to beat the technology put in place to stop them.

After having my debit number stolen a few years back, I started being a bit more conscious about my usage.

Now I pay for small transactions with cash, larger ones with credit card and I don't use my debit card for a god damn thing other than the ATM and secure online payments to immediately cancel out the balance on my credit card(s).

Haven't had a problem in 4 years now. It's scary out there, watch your finances carefully.

Is it in Ohio? crap. I have been forgetting to check them when I buy gas.

I wonder if it's a bit of an inside job. How can you tell the station about it,

and they don't do anything?

And the police - that dispatcher at least admitted it was him.

Time to start watching very carefully. All this tech has a flip side, I guess.

Is it in Ohio? crap. I have been forgetting to check them when I buy gas.

I wonder if it's a bit of an inside job. How can you tell the station about it,

and they don't do anything?

And the police - that dispatcher at least admitted it was him.

Time to start watching very carefully. All this tech has a flip side, I guess.

My son lives in Butler County and the Speedway with the skimmer was in Fairfield Ohio. We kind of wondered about an inside job as well because his stolen information on his credit card was later used at a Speedway in Indianapolis Indiana.

My son lives in Butler County and the Speedway with the skimmer was in Fairfield Ohio. We kind of wondered about an inside job as well because his stolen information on his credit card was later used at a Speedway in Indianapolis Indiana.

I also live in Butler County. I know a few weeks back they also found a skimmer in West Chester as well. Heroin and meth are getting pretty bad around here, especially in the Hamilton area; most of the drugs in that area come from Indiana. That could explain your son-in-law's credit card being used in Indianapolis.

The pumps should be checked regularly during shifts. Then when one is found further investigation via security cameras are protocol.

Paying at the pump is the way to go as most gas stations are prepay. When the credit/debit card is swiped it will be ran through a balance check to make sure it has enough money for a fill up. The usual amount is $125-$150 minimum balance to get gas at the pump.

If you only had lets say $25 in your account it wouldn't let you get gas because you can pump more than that in your tank. The bummer is usually the gas station will put the remaining balance back on the account in 24 hrs.

My point, the skimmers are a very well thought out bunch, they target the ones with $$$

Paying at the pump is the way to go as most gas stations are prepay. When the credit/debit card is swiped it will be ran through a balance check to make sure it has enough money for a fill up. The usual amount is $125-$150 minimum balance to get gas at the pump.

If you only had lets say $25 in your account it wouldn't let you get gas because you can pump more than that in your tank. The bummer is usually the gas station will put the remaining balance back on the account in 24 hrs.

90% of gas stations (or banks, it might be bank dependent) don't do this anymore.

Usually you'll see a $1 hold while you're pumping, then when you're done the $1 is replaced with the full amount almost instantly.

It might be bank dependent, but that's how it works for me everywhere.

90% of gas stations (or banks, it might be bank dependent) don't do this anymore.

Usually you'll see a $1 hold while you're pumping, then when you're done the $1 is replaced with the full amount almost instantly.

I work for Pilot. This isn't how we do it. Very interesting to me I wonder if it's an Illinios thing. Hum.

I inquired this and you are correct. We changed a while back and I didn't know. As a matter of fact some in upper management didn't know we've changed. Lol

The only thing I use a gas card for is my work truck. My company has Fleet cards for us

If I'm in my own car I pay cash.

I only use my debit card to take cash out of the ATM.

Archived