THE BROWNS BOARD

Have to take a hiatus for a week or two? from our Brownsboard

calfoxwc

and I was going to ask a favor of all you fellow characters.

See, it all started when I was born a middle class, goofy comedian child.

Then, when I was older, we'd go on vacations, and by the time we got there,

my knee was killing me, but I figured my cousins' knees hurt just as much,

so I just ignored it.

fast forward some years, I had developed a trick knee, but it wasn't magic.

fast forward some years, and it had to be fixed so it would stay together.

I had major surgery. They gave me all the sodium penathol sp? they were

allowed to give me, and I was still awake. My dr said I was fighting the

anesthetic, and I had to relax and let it take effect so he could fix my knee.

I think I'm the reason they don't use it anymore.....

I'd had osgood-schlatters disease/inflammation however you spell it,

but they didn't know about that back in the day.... at least the drs where

we were at down on the farm for 3 yrs in S. Ohio....

Then, I became a machinist right out of hs for a year, to pay off my awesome

1966 Chevy Belaire, 3 on the stick, four door, metallic cherry red, 250 straight six,

155 hp..

I loved that car. But the machinist shop hired about 13 of us for only one year, because

they got gov funding for our apprenticeship. I was #12 to be let go, at the very end of the year,

cause the other guy had a bunch of experience working in his uncle's shop....

And sure enough, before I could go to college and still be draft deferred..... I got drafted.

haha, very funny. But at the physical, I was well on my way to the army, when they

got to my knee. "Son, you aren't going anywhere near the service with that knee",

and I was permanently draft exempt unless it was some national emergency.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years, and the tire plant was going to have a very, very serious long

strike. Everybody was worried that they would lose everything, but the company was

going for broke to break the union. I'd never seen my parents worry about anything before.

Jobs were scarce, and I knew what to do. I enlisted in the Air Force.

Sure enough, most of the way through the physical, a doctor said, "Son,

what on earth are you doing here with that knee? Your knee will never make it through

basic. I'm sending you home, son."

However, I told him, no, I was serious,..and was enlisting. So, he frowned, and went

and got a couple of other doctors, and all three were examining my knee, they took some xrays,

and were asking all sorts of questions about who the excellent surgeon was, etc.

And, they said my knee would never make it. But, I told them I couldn't enlist in the Navy,

which I had always wanted to do, because my Dad had been in the Navy, and I had

read his Bluejacket Manual many times, and wanted to command my own landing craft

like he did.....but the family physician said my only chance was to go into the Air Force, which had a

much easier basic physically on the knees. And sure enough, they went and talked

together out of the room, and they said okay, but they felt like they were doing me a disservice.

And so it was, I was in the Air Force. The knee held up for about 5 weeks, then went south on me.

But, as much as it was hard to march on, letters from home and friends about the Browns

kept me going, it was Nov/Dec, 1973.

There's another story on how I ran the qualifier 1/4 mi, 1/2 mi, 3/4 mile, and 1 mile

in combat boots, on a damn asphalt track....

and how I made it through the required 1 1/2 mile qualifying run. But, that would make this story

twice as long, so, if anybody wants to really know, let me know, I'll send it to you in an email.

And so, all these years...I'm retired now, the old knee is like two greased cue balls stacked

vertically, and our friends and my Wonderful Cute Wife have worried a lot about me,

so, for Christmas, actually, Dec 28th...

I have a total knee replacement happening, and won't be able to get online much, and trying to

type on my tablet ...is just stupid, the tiny little keyboard whatchacallit is hell trying to type on.

The first time a surgeon said I needed to let him replace my knee was six years ago.

I am a little bit stubborn...........

So, the only reason I explain all this stupid stuff, is to ask a favor of all of you.

I may not be on the board for a week or two, only 3 days in the hospital, unless for

some complication with my knee being weird (prominent surgeon says of thousands of knees

he's done, he never has seen a big screw in a knee at the angle mine is in)...

and hopefully, I don't end up in four days of rehab out of the surgery being complicated...

because I told my wife, that if I end up in one of those rehab places, as an American and

a veteran of the AF, it will be my duty to escape. And, I said I just have to remember

to take my wire cutters with me. My Wife says "oh,...what the heck for?"

I said to cut the barb wire....

Anyways, starting the 28th, this Monday, would all you characters please stop saying funny stuff,

and stop with the great football insight stuff, etc, for at least a week?

I don't want to miss anything.

If the Browns do some crazy trade or something,

Canton Mike will keep me posted, if my Wife doesn't hear about it on the local news first.

Maybe they have wifi at the hospital for the 2-3 days I'm there, but probably not.

So, don't say any really great stuff until I can at least log on and lurk and catch up.

Thanks, everybody, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and GO BROWNS.

There's been "funny stuff" and "insight"???

Merry Christmas, cal...
May you emerge asking what many have asked before you... "Why did I wait so long?"

Indeed ! I have heard that from so many. With me, I have a needle phobia.

Don't like em, I think it's irrational to allow one to be used on ya.

But, my surgeon just thought that was funny, and assured me that

the epidural is not a big deal at all. And different women have just laughed

and said they had an epidural when they had their kids, I'd be fine.

Well, they are braver than me.... we'll see if I pass out or not. lol

It's hell when you can't see a stab in the back coming...... B)

I feel for ya Cal I'm having surgery on the 29th...totally

different type but I'll be in 7-10 days after! I'll check in asap

when I get out! GO BROWNS!!!

Cal, I had a total hip replacement 7 years ago, and we share the same extreme dislike of needles.

Not to worry about the epidural--they gave me Propofol and I have no memory of the epidural.

A word of advice: take your rehab seriously and apply yourself and you will indeed be asking,

"Why did I wait so long?"

Merry Christmas and good luck!

You'll be fine. My dad was like you, the docs said he needed both knees replaced (he had his own moving company and worked 45 years doing that). He waited until he was 75 to do the first one, then he did the other the following year.

He always said "why did I wait so long to do this?"

You'll be playing golf by April.

Thanks. Will I be good at golf ?

I never was before....

old joke. It's good thing my surgeon is excellent... or I'd worry that

my knee was so screwed up, that the new knee wouldn't fit unless they

put it on backwards...my foot would face toward.my butt, and even though

I'm no "tough guy"...I would be able to kick my own ass.

What would be sad, is that when I walked, I wouldn't know if I was comin or goin....

Worse.... maybe I wouldn't be able to walk at all....I'd only be able to hop around

in little circles....but I wouldn't know whether to hop clockwise or counterclockwise....

But, no worries here, I'm in great hands, and the well wishes are very much appreciated.

I remember years ago, when my Dad had his second knee done.... he had a bit of a cold,

so they gave him a spinal... and he let Dad watch them replace his knee ! He said that

was the most fascinating thing he ever watched !

My surgeon just laughed and said "no, no, no". Probably for the best.

Indeed ! I have heard that from so many. With me, I have a needle phobia.

Don't like em, I think it's irrational to allow one to be used on ya.

But, my surgeon just thought that was funny, and assured me that

the epidural is not a big deal at all. And different women have just laughed

and said they had an epidural when they had their kids, I'd be fine.

Well, they are braver than me.... we'll see if I pass out or not. lol

It's hell when you can't see a stab in the back coming...... B)

Then you're like me- hate to get knocked out. If your knee is totally shot, no sense waiting any longer. It will go well, and make sure they give you plenty of happy drugs to kill the pain.

and I was going to ask a favor of all you fellow characters.

I'd had osgood-schlatters disease/inflammation

and my Wonderful Cute Wife have worried a lot about me,

so, for Christmas, actually, Dec 28th...I have a total knee replacement happening, and won't be able to get online much,

I am a little bit stubborn...........So, the only reason I explain all this stupid stuff, is to ask a favor of all of you.

and hopefully, I don't end up in four days of rehab out of the surgery being complicated...

because I told my wife, that if I end up in one of those rehab places, as an American and

a veteran of the AF, it will be my duty to escape. And, I said I just have to remember

to take my wire cutters with me. My Wife says "oh,...what the heck for?" I said to cut the barb wire....

Anyways, starting the 28th, this Monday, would all you characters please stop saying funny stuff,

and stop with the great football insight stuff, etc, for at least a week?

I don't want to miss anything.

Thanks, everybody, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and GO BROWNS.

God bless ya Cal! Good to hear you're gonna slaughter the osgood damages for a new knee. I've watched more than a few people get knees replaced come out of it wishing they did it sooner. They were all very pleased to be feeling like they had 2 healthy knees.

I don't how stubborn you are but I had to tell my dad you can't edit the success of innovation and technology here with old school stubborn. When he gave me a WTF expression - I said you heard me. Stop being a Flugel and listen to what he says. I was nice. I didn't add and you can wipe that cranky old bastard look right off your face.

Good luck and best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Great post. Many people in my generation can't fathom "being drafted." I had a young man once ask me, "You mean men didn't have a choice whether or not they went to war?" I was like, "Uh...no. One day you're an 18 year-old kid, and the next you're in a swamp in some god forsaken land witnessing some of the most awful shit in history, and then when or "if" you come home, many people hate you." I work as a case manager for a federal program that houses homeless military veterans. I have the utmost respect for people like you.

You just get your damn knee feeling better. Surgery has come a LONG way with replacement surgeries, and you'll feel better in no time. Like others have said, I think you'll be saying, "Why in the HELL did I wait so long?!"

Merry Christmas, and have a happy new year.

I work as a case manager for a federal program that houses homeless military veterans. I have the utmost respect for people like you.

You've been a great addition to this board but this might be your best post. It's great to see vets have people like you fighting for them long after they're capable in their own country they once put their lives on the line to protect.

I work as a case manager for a federal program that houses homeless military veterans. I have the utmost respect for people like you. Jiggins

nah, I wasn't drafted - I have the utmost respect for people like you, who work to help homeless military veterans...

that really rocks...

and all veterans, but especially the veterans who served in combat. That really honors me to be around them on

veterans day at at restaurant.

One day in the AF, we were on alert for a weekend, and a msgt and I were on 24/7 duty for our 24 hr shift..

and he told me about how he became a military man. He said he grew up in a poor side of town, and his only choices

after hs was to get a job, join a gang. Well, no black folks owned any businesses hiring, and no black kid could get

a job. And his Momma would have beaten him silly with her cookie dough spoon if he joined a gang. But he said

Uncle Sam didn't care what color he was, and he got drafted because she would never let him get into drugs and trouble and gangs...., and Uncle Sam gave him a job, and he moved his

Mom out of that neighborhood, got his sisters into college, and his own two kids got college degrees just

like his Wife had. He served back in the day toward the end of the Korean fighting.

Guys like him, and the vets who served in WWII, Iraq, anywhere. They amaze me. But I always thank all vets

for their great service.

Believe me that guys like me (and others on the board) who served in a combat zone have all our respect for those who gave all. Nothing brought that home more for me than this past Oct. standing in an American cemetery near where my grandfather served as an Artillery Captain in WWI France. Over 4000 on a forgotten battlefield who never returned home. And reading the names and ages on the tombstones I could imagine the dreams they may have had that never came to fruition.

good luck cal!

my best friend had a hip replacement 4 years ago and 2 days after the surgery he was in a physical rehab center walking around. 2 days later was at home. now you'd never know he had a prob even though he had a neck a back surgery and the hip replacement. the new technology is incredible (just don't be surprised when the hospital wants to kick you out the door like they do with women who have just given birth.............insurance doesn't want to pay for extended stays).

my girlfriend/wife had both knees done after ripping out all the muscles and tedons in both in an industrial accident over a decade ago. then they diagnosed here with early stages of MS. she's basically walking bone on bone and it's difficult to watch. i would've given up years ago and gone with the ol' hover round or private golf cart but she refuses. strong ass bitch.

Believe me that guys like me (and others on the board) who served in a combat zone have all our respect for those who gave all. Nothing brought that home more for me than this past Oct. standing in an American cemetery near where my grandfather served as an Artillery Captain in WWI France. Over 4000 on a forgotten battlefield who never returned home. And reading the names and ages on the tombstones I could imagine the dreams they may have had that never came to fruition.

Definitely hits home Ag. Then you see pro athletes under the freedoms some of you guys put your lives on the line for either going broke after they had 7-8 figure salaries or just not appreciating what their God-givens have set them up for in life. Yeah, it's gotta suck sporting a winning lottery ticket salary in one's dream job playing a sport. "Now they want me to study football, workout and stay out of trouble?" Yeah, imagine that kind of work week - especially in the 6-7 months without football games.

Thanks, everybody, I've been pretty nervous about it, but it's gone

downhill badly the last two and a half years....

My has been bone on bone for years, severe arthristis, and

complete lack of stability in the knee.

I appreciate all the good wishes, I get to the same say surgery place at 8:30, so

I have to go get a bunch of firewood and stack in the garage, watch the Browns

on record, since I nearly forgot to pick up my prescriptions, and we were babysitting

for a friend... I don't know whether to stay up late or go to bed early.

I know the physicians assistant that reviewed all the pre op stuff ..I asked him how long I'd

be in the hospital...a day/probably two... he just laughed and said "your knee? 2-3 at best."

If I'm not out by New Years eve, they're gonna think I'm Jason Bourne - I will just escape.

I wonder how many bedsheets it would take to reach the ground from the floor I'll be on...

dammit. lol. You folks take care, and remember, no funny posts, etc, I don't want to miss anything

this coming week. See ya'll.

I don't know whether to stay up late or go to bed early

stay up late>> when it comes to surgery personally i'd rather be tired and loopy than wide awake and anxious, if i had a choice.

good luck Cal, even though it's gonna go great and be very satisfying.

and this applies to any/everyone: Thank You So Very Much For Your Service.

Thanks ,again, everybody. I've been awake since 4:15, it's now 6 o'clock,....and nobody demanded

that I explain how I got past the 1.5 mi run.

So, I'll do it anyways, since we have to be at the hospital at 8:30. lol.

So, we ran the 1/4 mi, and 1/2, and 3/4... and the mile. My knee was getting the attention

of my friends in basic, especially Hec and Freddie. Hec was the son of parents from Mexico,

and surely was one of the fastest runners in our squadron.

And Freddie, was a young kid from a tough black neighborhood, not as big as me, whose Eddie Murphy sense of humor made everybody lol.

He could light up any room within hearing distance. He was awesome.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Freddie was Eddie Murphy's dad. Freddie stayed out of gangs

by being in the church choir, and being funny. He called me "Uncle Calfox" because I was a year older than he was.

When we ran the mile, those two speedsters stayed back with me, and I was loping along, putting

little weight on my swelled up, pain up to my eyeballs knee. They encouraged me for a couple of laps,

until they got yelled at for not really running, and I told em they should take off, and Thanks.

And, I made it.

Fast forward a week. There we were, the third flight of a bunch of flights, waiting to run the mile and a half, but still... my knee was killing me. I had been faking setting my right heel in while we were marching...about two weeks. And we have to run the mile and a half?

I was pissed - my knee was saying "you can't do it, man. nobody could" and my brain was saying

"I'm either going to finish this, or die right on this track, dammit".

And, then it happened. My TI's walked over to me, and I thought maybe I was going to get sent to the

hospital.... and they asked me how my knee was. I said, of course, "Sir, It's fine, Sir !".

And the TI who was fond of making me laugh while we were marching, so he could stop us, yell at me,

and make me do pushups, just like Gomer Pyle in the Marine Corps and Sgt Carter....

he leaned forward and said "Calfox, what did I say about you lying to me about that?" and gave me a grin

and shook his head and walked away.

And, our two TI's were looking at me from 10 yards away, and looked at my knee....

and walked across the concourse to the guy way up in the tower, who was running all the flights' starting times.

And, the TI who liked to make me laugh so he could yell at me and make me do pushups, walked all the way back..

came and stood in the middle of us, and quietly said:

"You rags listen up, any one of you screw this up - I will kill you...." and he whispered, "about face, forward harch"...

and we quietly, no heels setting in, ... marched away from the whole thing, and went back to our barracks.

and went and got anotther haircut, which was funny because we were already mostly bald......

and for a couple of years, we'd be sitting around in a group and basic would come up, and eventually, I'd ask

"You guys ever hear of a flight that didn't have to run that mile and a half? Some guy told me that, but I think

he was an idiot pulling my leg..."

And every time, they'd all get indignant and say that of course he was a damn liar, everybody had to run it,

it was required.

But, after all these years. I will tell you, our flight didn't. Two off the meanest TI's had my back.

Just don't tell anybody I said so, okay?

See ya. And I won't tell stories when I get back in a week or so.

Dammit. I have to get up in a half hour. lol.

Nice story Cal. I think most people have a heart for those who are giving 100 percent even if they don't succeed including your instructors in basic. I am sure your instructors saw you putting all your heart and soul into it but you couldn't help it your knee was giving out. It is kind of amazing that you made it this far in life without having surgery as bad as your knee has been. Praying all goes well with your surgery and you have a fast recovery.

Archived