THE BROWNS BOARD

RELIGION OF PEACE UPDATE: Saudi Arabia set to execute 52 prisoners including juveniles

StinkHole

about the executing of 52 people, so some of you are completely for the death penalty here in the states but if it's another country that follows another set of beleifs...now no good? Look I know Muslim countries execute people for things like being light in the loafers. But as a country that by and large supports the death penalty, as I do....but gets found out to have put a lot of people on death row who were innocent......we don't have much of anything to stand on here when it comes to criticizing other countries for their capital laws.

Like I have zero doubt that if there was legistlation in this country to make being gay a crime, I know for a fact that a lot of you would be in favor of it. Zero doubt in my mind. Now initially you wouldn't want it to be a capital offense.....but.................give it time. That's just who some of you are. Deep inside a lot of you are no different than some of the scrub lords running around the middle east .

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

about the executing of 52 people, so some of you are completely for the death penalty here in the states but if it's another country that follows another set of beleifs...now no good? Look I know Muslim countries execute people for things like being light in the loafers. But as a country that by and large supports the death penalty, as I do....but gets found out to have put a lot of people on death row who were innocent......we don't have much of anything to stand on here when it comes to criticizing other countries for their capital laws.

Like I have zero doubt that if there was legistlation in this country to make being gay a crime, I know for a fact that a lot of you would be in favor of it. Zero doubt in my mind. Now initially you wouldn't want it to be a capital offense.....but.................give it time. That's just who some of you are. Deep inside a lot of you are no different than some of the scrub lords running around the middle east .

Spoken like a true liberal. Make a straw man argument to knock down and always finding fault with the United States. I don't want any laws against homosexuality and seriously doubt if there would be much support for it either. And for all our faults with our criminal justice system I can't think of any other countries around the world that I would prefer their justice system over ours.

There are sins the bible speaks of I think about everyone agrees that they should be a criminal act ....stealing comes to mind. But there are other sins the bible speaks of such as adultery or homosexuality that should not be part of the criminal justice system.

We don't drug people to the T and cut their heads off in the middle of the street.

That's pretty good.

Other things are if you're a woman whatever you say is pretty much ignored by the court unless you have a male witness.

Ie, I could tell the police my wife is guilty of adultery. She could say no I was at home all day I didn't leave.

They'll chop her head off in public unless she has a male witness to testify on her behalf.

If these things would be denounced and changed in all Islamic countries then we'd probably have less islamaphobes. That's my only point here.

I'm not an islamaphobe and have a few great friends from Saudi arabia and other Muslim friends from when I was in college. They were very nice, would always prepare a huge meal at least one day a week and we'd eat it as they did back home sitting down. They'd show me the way they did things some days with a lamb feast, I'd show them the way we did things with a German or Italian meal or something. Sometimes we'd do both and toss a football in the park with lamb on the grill or kabsa or something.

Doesn't change the fact these things their country does contributes to islamphobia.

We should do more than just call people racists and bigots.

Yeah, the death penalty doesn't freak me out. You don't get to death row unless you perform some heinous act. It probably would if it were the punishment for adultery or blowing somebody.

WSS

Death row inmates also wait an average of 15 years before they get executed. Most are able to appeal out of it or continue extending the date indefinitely.

If you admit guilt or take a plea offer you never get it.

It's definitely not comparable to say, Saudi Arabia.

Death row inmates also wait an average of 15 years before they get executed. Most are able to appeal out of it or continue extending the date indefinitely.

If you admit guilt or take a plea offer you never get it.

It's definitely not comparable to say, Saudi Arabia.

I guess it depends on your ideology about capital punishment in the first place.

WSS

let me preface this by saying that I am in principle FOR the death penalty, so you can't call me a "true" liberal. My recent concerns over it's application though are valid. I personally think that any prosecutors, no matter how many years in the past this happened....if they deliberately withhold "CRUCIAL" evidence that would have exonerated a man and still pushed ahead with capital proceedings to buffer their resume, all of which have been conclusively proven has occurred within our criminal justice system...these prosecutors should replace the men on death row.

Saying that you had to do something heinous to land on death row is apparently ignorant of what's come out in the last few years that infact men were decades on death row for having done, wait for it........................NOTHING. I understand the criminal justice system isn't perfect and mistakes will be made, but it's the deliberate and willful acts that have been exposed of prosecutors not wanting to drop or at least halt the criminal proceedings in light of new evidence especially when it's people of color on trial....those acts should be capitally punished. You put a man on death row with any inkling that he might be completely innocent, you're a piece of shit this society shouldn't tolerate to live.

So again we've got some work ahead in our system before we mount the high horse. And the muslims don't get everything wrong, they do put child molesters in burlap sacks and toss those sacks off the sides of mountains. That's not half bad tbh. Credit where it's due.

I was mostly referring to Saudi Arabia, but all the other countries I mentioned have Sharia-derived legal systems and treat women, gays, and non-muslims like total garbage.

Condemning the way these countries treat everybody who isn't a muslim male (some Sunni/Shia minorities treated like crap as well), their third-world sharia legal systems, and the human rights violations that they get away with seems like common sense to me.

Muslims should condemn it too (and many do, but not enough which is the original point).

I'm not sure what your point is really. You cherry picked something I never said (Egypt cuts the hands off of thieves) and used it to make a point I'm not so sure about.

If you think the way things are done in countries who adopt a Sharia-based legal system are worth ignoring then I think that's a problem.

I stick by the fact: Anti-Muslim sentiment would be a lot less if muslims would condemn the government-endorsed human+civil rights violations that occur daily in several countries (Including the ones who live in those countries).

Os tiptoes his way out of the "what happens to apostates?" debate pretty often. I don't think he will address this but opt for the "you are just believing what is on the news" defense.

Depends on whether they are being executed for murder and rape or apostasy and gayness

You're weak. YOUR Bloodline is weak. Your name is weak. You're too weak to ever do anything great

I don't know Woody, but he's an engineer and if i'm not mistaken in what someone else said you're a struggling actor in CA somewhere who's waiting tables....is that correct? Do you maybe want to re examine something?

Spoken like a true liberal. Make a straw man argument to knock down and always finding fault with the United States. I don't want any laws against homosexuality and seriously doubt if there would be much support for it either. And for all our faults with our criminal justice system I can't think of any other countries around the world that I would prefer their justice system over ours.

There are sins the bible speaks of I think about everyone agrees that they should be a criminal act ....stealing comes to mind. But there are other sins the bible speaks of such as adultery or homosexuality that should not be part of the criminal justice system.

Name calling aside I think when passing judgment on other cultures having context on your own is a solid idea. I give the USA credit for how we have created social change in a relatively non-violent, intellectual way. But we should not think our methods are infallible or that we have a perfect society.

Name calling aside I think when passing judgment on other cultures having context on your own is a solid idea. I give the USA credit for how we have created social change in a relatively non-violent, intellectual way. But we should not think our methods are infallible or that we have a perfect society.

I would pass judgment every day of the week and twice on Sunday with any country run by the barbaric sharia law system. There is no perfect society but ours looks pretty close to perfect in comparison with a country ruled by sharia law.

I would say it is as close to perfect you can get when compared to say the country where dudes are decapitated for liking interior design too much.

Name a country where that doesn't happen.

The U.S. is about the best you will come across. I will surely take it over a country where rape victims see jail time if they don't have 10 of the village males to back her play.

you're not gonna like this stat, top 10 countries with the "lowest" per capita rape rates...look who's the lowest. Uh oh!!

1.Saudi Arabia

2.Azerbaijan

3.Yemen

4.Indonesia

5.Armenia

6.Georgia

7.Greece

8.Macedonoa

9.Qatar

10.India

now, top 10 highest rates....

1.South Africa

2.Seychelles

3.Australia

4.Montserrat

5.Canada

6.Jamaica

7.Zimbabwe

8.Dominica

9.USA

10.Iceland

canada? australia? gtfo. That i don't understand.

When you're a woman and you can't accuse a man of rape...

oh you can accuse a man of rape if you're a muslim woman. Especially if you're already spoken for. Do you think muslim men are into the forced wife swap thing? You think they don't care if nassib down the street is single and lonely and has a go at their wives? No you get fucked up hard for that shit in Saudi. Now if you're a woman and you "dared" to not be married off by the time you're 14, well......

Duly noted, womens rights groups certainly don't glow with praise over muslim country's treatment of women. But they do acknowledge that the "severe" nature of punishments in some of these muslim countries keeps a lot of things in check. That's probably why there's such a huge burden of proof on a woman who accuses a man of rape.

I don't think the burden of proof is related to the severity of the punishment, as much as it is the subjugation of women. Of course you're going to think twice if you know you'll be killed for it, but considering there's not punishment for some rape cases, and in fact the woman might be punished for sex outside marriage, I think women's rights group might not look at those countries particularly favourably.

On top of that, you probably have to consider the definition of rape in those countries, but that's just a guess.

Archived