THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting question

Westside Steve

Totally rhetorical in every sense the questions come with no definite answer. It's the catch 22 situation built around feelings of keeping something cherished as opposed to numbers of human life or a pet? That's completely insane and I don't think I just speak for myself when I mention the rudeness and uncaring of most of you and I'm appalled by negative responses.

Let me put this into words you will understand.

Vodka and Xanex.

If the one person in question is a loved one and the five are other people's loved ones sorry about their luck

Well, the original parameters of the thought experiment state that both the group of five and the single individual are complete strangers to you, and completely innocent of any crime, presumably to eliminate any potential bias.

The results from the original experiment showed that the majority of people questioned believed that it would be morally and ethically acceptable to throw the switch and sacrifice the single individual to save the group of five; "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

But, your statement has piqued my curiosity. Let us suppose, then, that in order to save the five innocent strangers, you would have to divert the train onto the sidetrack, where a single loved one, such as a spouse, child, or family member, would be killed instead. Would you still be morally and ethically obligated to save the many, at the expense of the single loved one?

I can easily see how it escalates. To save your wife your best friend your son or daughter how many people would you sacrifice? 5? 20? The entire population of the city? I guess it has to stop somewhere but...

I've mentioned this before but sometimes we have to take a long hard look at whether or not we really value human life. We all pretend to but for example think of how many lives we would say if if we lowered the speed limit on all highways to 30 miles per hour.

WSS

I think if we lowered the speed limit to 30 MPH, more people would die

People would be pissed and just run people off the road

These rhetorical situations are really hard to think about unless you'd be in that situation (wouldn't happen)

I don't think I know what I'd do unless I was actually in that type of situation.

That might be but what is easy to think about is to save my child or my wife I'd sacrifice any number of other people. That's a no brainer to me.

These rhetorical situations are really hard to think about unless you'd be in that situation (wouldn't happen)

I don't think I know what I'd do unless I was actually in that type of situation.

Lol yes I'm the same way. In the early 90's I had to take a team building course at the local college for this job I had at the time. They would lay out situations for discussion and their goal was for all of us to interact and get to know each other. It worked.

Another interesting question I made up.

The scenario.

Your in a heavy moving truck just about to cross a rickety bridge. The truck may be too heavy. (If you have seen the Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm kinda like that)

The reverse is out of the transmission. You see flashing lights behind you in the rear view mirrors. Its an ambulance needing to cross. You can't get out of the way you must cross.

The question.

Do you haul ass over the bridge or go slowly?

Another interesting question I made up.

The scenario.

Your in a heavy moving truck just about to cross a rickety bridge. The truck may be too heavy. (If you have seen the Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm kinda like that)

The reverse is out of the transmission. You see flashing lights behind you in the rear view mirrors. Its an ambulance needing to cross. You can't get out of the way you must cross.

The question.

Do you haul ass over the bridge or go slowly?

Haul ass.

The slower you go the more chance it will collapse if it's going to.

WSS

Archived