THE BROWNS BOARD

Steelers Suck Trivia

The Gipper

OK, here is Steelers Suck trivia.....but not really (Gotcha?). Basic Steeler history trivia:

1. Who suggested to Art Rooney that he change his team's name to Steelers and adopt the US Steeler logo on their helmets?

2. What 2 QBs have lead both the Browns and Steelers in passing in a season?

3. Who was the Steeler's HC immediately preceding Chuck Noll?

4. The Steelers once had a HC who had the same (last) name as a President of the United States. What name?

5. Within a margin of 2, what was Bubby Brister's record as a starting QB with the Steelers?

6. Who gained the most yards rushing in a season for the Steelers?

7. True or False: Lynn Swann and John Stallworth combined, Pittsburgh's two HOF WRs, combined do not have as many catches as marginal HOFer Hines Ward?

8. Who is the Steeler's career leader in both kickoff and punt returns? (same player)

9. Who scored the most TDs in a season for the Steelers?

10. Who made the most tackles in his career with the Steelers?

11. Per PFRs career production average statistic, which Steeler player had the most productive career in that team's history...to date.

12. A. What was the unofficial nickname the Pittsburgh newspapers called that team in the 30s....when they were known as the Pirates, to distinguish them from the baseball team in the city?

B. What year did they change their name from Pirates to Steelers?

13. A. What is the only current AFC team that the Steelers have never met in postseason play?

B. Who is the ONLY team the Steelers ever played in postseason play, pre 1970 merger? (corrected from earlier version)

14. In which field did the Steelers play the most seasons?

OK, here is Steelers Suck trivia.....but not really (Gotcha?). Basic Steeler history trivia:

1. Who suggested to Art Rooney that he change his team's name to Steelers and adopt the US Steeler logo on their helmets?

Carnegie

?

4. The Steelers once had a HC who had the same (last) name as a President of the United States. What name?

5. Within a margin of 2, what was Bubby Brister's record as a starting QB with the Steelers?

14-14

Bettie

7. True or False: Lynn Swann and John Stallworth combined, Pittsburgh's two HOF WRs, combined do not have as many catches as marginal HOFer Hines Ward?

Probably

8. Who is the Steeler's career leader in both kickoff and punt returns? (same player)

Franco Harris

Greene

11. Per PFRs career production average statistic, which Steeler player had the most productive career in that team's history...to date.

Franco Harris

12. A. What was the unofficial nickname the Pittsburgh newspapers called that team in the 30s....when they were known as the Pirates, to distinguish them from the baseball team in the city?

Bucs

13. A. What is the only current AFC team that the Steelers have never met in postseason play?

Ravens

B. Who is the ONLY team the Steelers ever defeated in postseason play, pre 1970 merger?

Bengals

Three Rivers

B. Who is the ONLY team the Steelers ever defeated in postseason play, pre 1970 merger?

Carnegie NO

?

14-14 NO

Bettie NO

Probably

Franco Harris NO

Greene NO

Franco Harris NO

Bucs NO

1955 NO

Ravens NO

Bengals NO

The idea originated in Cleveland. From Republic Steel Executives. Check

Len Dawson, Bill Nelsen While Dawson played for both CLE and Pitt...he never lead either team in passing in a season. So, no on him...but Yes on Nelsen

Bill Austin Check

Mike Nixon Check

He was essentially a .500 QB . I think he played 7 years, was out one year injured or some such shit, got juggled, I figure he played maybe 72 games. 36- 36

Right about being about .500....but off on the numbers.

That's the easiest. The best RB the Steelers ever had............ Barry Foster. Check

I would guess True. Check

Antwon Randel El NO

Ben Roethlisberger NO....throwing TDs doesn't count for this stat.

I guess Lawrence Timmons Good try....not right...but you are thinking in the right direction

Kordell Stewart..... just because it would be funny for a cocksucker to hold a Steeler record.

It would be funny.....though I don't think the guy that is the actual answer would probably be counted as a pole smoker.

The Rooneymen Check (now, I got to be suspicious of you the way they are now suspicious about Peyton Manning)

Right before the 1940 season Check

Houston Texans Check

I don't believe they ever defeated anyone in post season play prior to 1970.

I am sorry, you are right. The question meant to ask: who is the only team the Steelers ever played in the postseason before 1970. I will correct the original post.

Forbes That is the other half right answer

OK, since Ghoolie did so well, I will do Second Chance Saloon now: Questions unanswered:

2. Besides Bill Nelsen, what other QB lead both the Browns and Steelers in passing in a season? Hint: not Len Dawson

5. Within a margin of error of 2, what was Bubby Brister's record as a starting QB with the Steelers? Hint: approx. .500

8. Who is the Steelers career leader in both kickoff and punt returns? Hint: not Randle El

9. Who scored the most TDs in a season for the Steelers? Hint: not Franco Harris

10. Who made the most tackles in Steeler history: Hint: not Lawrence Timmons or Joe Greene

11. Per PFR career production average, who currently has been the most productive Steeler player in history? Hint: Not Franco Harris or Kordell Stewart

13. A. Who is the only team the Steelers ever played in the postseason before 1970?

OK, since Ghoolie did so well, I will do Second Chance Saloon now: Questions unanswered:

2. Besides Bill Nelsen, what other QB lead both the Browns and Steelers in passing in a season? Hint: not Len Dawson

OSU Mike Tomczak

5. Within a margin of error of 2, what was Bubby Brister's record as a starting QB with the Steelers? Hint: approx. .500

Boy it better be south of 36.......31 and 31

8. Who is the Steelers career leader in both kickoff and punt returns? Hint: not Randle El

Rod Woodson

9. Who scored the most TDs in a season for the Steelers? Hint: not Franco Harris

Bam Morris

10. Who made the most tackles in Steeler history: Hint: not Lawrence Timmons or Joe Greene

Kirkland

11. Per PFR career production average, who currently has been the most productive Steeler player in history? Hint: Not Franco Harris or Kordell Stewart

Jack Ham

13. A. Who is the only team the Steelers ever played in the postseason before 1970?

Redskins

Okay, Gipper, I was NOT incorrect on a few, as you noted you mis stated, also , I answered the TImmons one based on MOST IN A SEASON not most career. Here are my rethought answers.

My bad, I forgot about Dick Shiner. Dawson was a reflex reaction. I actually have his autograph on a football.

Not Dick Shiner....but we all still love saying his name.

I don't want to cheat by looking up Bubby Bristers stats. HOWEVER.... guessing 36-36 I think is going to be pretty close. You should just divulge that. Now that we know I am close, other posters will just guess in the proximity that I provided.

Pretty close....but I gave a margin of error of two.....and I stuck with that...so others....including you can keep trying.

Steve Logan? (Stephan?) Also on the honorable mention list..... Rod Woodson, Louis Lipps.

Well, you did get it right with your shotgun approach.....but now you have to narrow it down to one guy.

I am getting tired of squeezing Steeler Shit out of my brain, BUT I'll bet WIllie Parker, or Louis Lipps.

Willie Parker Check

Second Guess has to be James Farrior.

Farrior check

Have no idea, because I liked him, Hines Ward.

NO

The Eagles Check

OSU Mike Tomczak Check

Boy it better be south of 36.......31 and 31 OK, close enough (28/29)

Rod Woodson Check

Bam Morris NO

Kirkland

No

Jack Ham NO

Redskins NO

My dad was a die hard Browns fan, and I remain so. Nonetheless, growing up in Youngstown, Pittsburgh was pretty close. As a boy, the Steelers were close enough that even though their fans always struck Ohio folks as being a little weird.....(hilbillyish?), they were still a tough people, steelworkers, and not that different from Browns fans.

In those days, it was the Steelers who stunk and were envious of the Browns aura.

My proximity growing up brought me closer to Steeler culture than Ohioans to the west, so while I hated them as a rival, I always had interest in the team, the town and the people. Since we are delving into Steeler trivia, I would like to again say, as I have in the past, that I was always a huge fan of Myron Cope. Yoy!

I think few knew that his sports commenting career was largely launched in Cleveland, and he was very instrumental in getting Jim Brown to write "Off My Chest", and in fact wrote the forward to it.

Now, your trivia section touches on some Browns-Steeler commonality, but there is much more, including Cowher and Noll. My "hate" for the Steelers is completely centered around football competition with the Browns. However, as a community, the city of Pittsburgh and it's people have a lot to be proud of. Their football team, while we hate it, has really been impressive in these modern times.

I answered your trivia from my own following this rival. In that, some browns fans will be pissed.

Go Browns.

Very nice job.

I am all Steelers out, but let me finish what I have. On Kick Returns I am going to pick Logan, I just don't remember if it was Stevan steve Stefan or stephan. I guess if you asked the three most prolific I would have hit it. But I will take Logan as my final guess. If I am wrong, I am sure my other two will hit it. Not bad, still, for a Browns fan.

Someone got the answer: Woodson

On Bubby Brister, I lapsed and took into consideration his post Steelers games, given that, Lets subtract a 16 game season, remove 8 wins, 8 losses, keep the .500 performance and readjust at 28- 28. I would imagine 36-36 for his entire career would be close?

I really don't know what the PFR designation means.

Pro Football Reference is a very well respected resource for statistical data and history of the NFL (and baseball/basketball/college sports/Olympics)

They devised a statistic that supposedly can assign a single number to how much production a player has had in his career. It is supposedly a way to compare all players careers regardless of position. It is certainly not perfect.....but it is about the best anyone has come up with...and it can be very useful. Here is a link to the list of all time most "productive" players in a career. Longevity helps a lot, but that is not all:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/av_career.htm

Nonetheless.... I know my Steeler shit. :-) I enjoyed the quiz. Got me thinking back to a lot of great times.

By the way Ghoolie.....you probably know more about Steeler history than any Steeler fan. It is remarkable how little they know about the history or their own team aside from how many titles they have won.

Answers:

Executives from Republic Steel of Cleveland

Bill Nelsen and Mike Tomscak

Bill Austin 3 years 17-36-1

Mike Nixon

28-29

Barry Foster 1690 1992

True. Swann and Stallworth combined for 873 (Swann only had like 333 catches in his career) Ward had 1000

Rod Woodson

Willie Parker 16 in 2006

James Farrior LB (I too would have probably said Ham or Lambert)

Mike Webster

Followed by: Ham, then Bradshaw then Greene. Ward is 12th on Steeler list, Polamalu just 15th. BR is 8th.....but perhaps by the end of this year or early next year he will likely jump to #1 (these figures are given from the conclusion of 2014 season). Against the Browns secondary alone he may gain 10 career points.

The Rooneymen

The Houston Texans

B. Who is the ONLY team the Steelers ever played in postseason play, pre 1970 merger? (corrected from earlier version)

Lost to the Phiadelphia Eagles in 1947

They played 31 years both at Forbes Field and at Three Rivers Stadium. They also played 6-8 years at Pitt Stadium.

Gipps, I would like to delve a bit more into #8. I actually believe Stefan Logan edged Woodson out for the return crown. I hate to look at the stat books, as that is kind of cheating, even though the quiz is over.

Let me ask you this.... if it isn't a lot of headache, would you be willing to post Logan's stats versus Woodson's? This isn't about my being right, but I have a genuine interest in this. If it is too much trouble, I can go look some stuff up, but something tells me you have quick access to these kinds of stats.

Thanks.

I will check it out. I do actually take some time to research some of these questions and answers....and occasionally I do make mistakes. Like where I said that the Steelers had won a postseason game pre 1970.....that was just a mind fart...I meant to say "played".

But here is the data you asked for.....this comes from Pro Football Reference:

Steelers leading career kickoff Returners...by yards.

1. Rod Woodson

2. Larry Anderson

3. Lynn Chandnois

4. Dwight Stone

5. Will Blackwell

Stefan Logan was #9

Leading Punt returners by yards:

1. Rod Woodson

2. Randle El

3. Antonio Brown

4. Theo Bell

5. Louis Lipps

Logan was only 27th in this category.

Gipps, I would like to delve a bit more into #8. I actually believe Stefan Logan edged Woodson out for the return crown. I hate to look at the stat books, as that is kind of cheating, even though the quiz is over.

Let me ask you this.... if it isn't a lot of headache, would you be willing to post Logan's stats versus Woodson's? This isn't about my being right, but I have a genuine interest in this. If it is too much trouble, I can go look some stuff up, but something tells me you have quick access to these kinds of stats.

Thanks.

Har, I don't cheat, but here's the links. Logan had one great year, & then got traded to the Lions. But for a career, Woodson blows him away. :)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LogaSt00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodRo01.htm

Archived