THE BROWNS BOARD

Flashback....who would you pick?

Mudfly

Ok....one of the favorite topics around here is woulda, shoulda, coulda......we LOVE to talk about the players we "dont" have.....so here is your chance.......and, be honest by picking based upon your thoughts then, as opposed to what you know now........

If YOU were the guy making the picks in 2014 & 2015, who would be on our team now?????

If I was picking here's how it would have gone.......

First 2014.....I was leaning hard toward Watkins, but was enamored with Beckham too(but was kind of hung up on his size)...,,,,BUT, I definitely...POSITIVELY....would have taken the 2 firsts and a fourth for our pick from Buffalo....just like Farmer did.....so, with that in mind.....my picks would have been....

2014:.... #9 Odell Beckham......and......#25 Teddy Twatwater...

2015:.... #12 Danny Shelton.....and.....#19 Bud Dupree......

Not an amazing upgrade....but I think Id rather have my guys...... ;)

and....knowing what I know now?......Id go back and swap Beckham for Aaron Donald and Dupree for Landon Collins and Bridgewater for Carr.....(if I could)....

I would have taken Carr over Twatwater, but admittedly I had fears he would turn out like older brother. I would not have taken JM knowing now the extent of his off field problems that appear about a 10% bet of resolving correctly. The longer it goes on the less likely he will change while still having athletic ability. I liked Beckham as well. That's a good choice. Aaron Donald is another I liked there. I admit I was surprised by the Gilbert choice.

I really had hoped we would take Bud Dupree over any other player available @ #19. I shook my head over that one at the time, but even more so now. I had wanted one of the two top RB's but they were already gone by #19.

I still wish we had found a way to move up on Tyler Lockett in the late 2nd/early 3rd as a do it all player and drop one of the other fleas. Pipe Dream I know, butt tha'ts what the thread is about right? :D

Ok....one of the favorite topics around here is woulda, shoulda, coulda......we LOVE to talk about the players we "dont" have.....so here is your chance.......and, be honest by picking based upon your thoughts then, as opposed to what you know now........

If YOU were the guy making the picks in 2014 & 2015, who would be on our team now?????

If I was picking here's how it would have gone.......

First 2014.....I was leaning hard toward Watkins, but was enamored with Beckham too(but was kind of hung up on his size)...,,,,BUT, I definitely...POSITIVELY....would have taken the 2 firsts and a fourth for our pick from Buffalo....just like Farmer did.....so, with that in mind.....my picks would have been....

2014:.... #9 Odell Beckham......and......#25 Teddy Twatwater...

2015:.... #12 Danny Shelton.....and.....#19 Bud Dupree......

Not an amazing upgrade....but I think Id rather have my guys...... ;)

and....knowing what I know now?......Id go back and swap Beckham for Aaron Donald and Dupree for Landon Collins and Bridgewater for Carr.....(if I could)....

If taking Donald, you probably don't pick Shelton a year later. Maybe there you get your WR?

I would have taken Carr over Twatwater, but admittedly I had fears he would turn out like older brother.....

I admit I was surprised by the Gilbert choice.

I really had hoped we would take Bud Dupree over any other player available @ #19. I shook my head over that one at the time, but even more so now. I had wanted one of the two top RB's but they were already gone by #19.

Yeah....I admit I would have NOT taken Carr.....I couldnt stand him and thought he was a bust just waiting to happen....

Gilbert?.....wouldnt have taken him either, BUT also have to admit that I loved the pick after it happened.....he looked GREAT until he got here....

And....yes....a pass rusher was my mantra through this years draft....and Shelton was about my 2nd or 3rd overall choice, but my favorites...Beasley, Fowler and Williams....were all gone.....

If taking Donald, you probably don't pick Shelton a year later. Maybe there you get your WR?

True story......didnt think of that.....but you are probably right.....

Now, Im all mixed up and gotta rethink....but, then again.....just imagine Shelton AND Donald...... ;)

Also, would you now pick Beckham and pick 19 over Khalil Mack?

Ok....you gotta stop making me rethink everything.....(headache)......;)

As much as I like Mack.....and I do......I guess Id still prefer to have Aaron Donald AND Landon Collins.....(plus another 4th)....

Cause we need LOTS of good players.....(but, honestly, Id be happy either way)....tho, knowing what we know now, it would be hard to trade away that pick with Mack sitting there....yes it would....really really hard....

2014:

• Turn down the trade and take Khalil Mack at #4...
  • I do not trade up to #22 and likely take Xavier Su'a-Filo (OG) at 26 as I am concerned he will not fall to us in Rnd 2 (and he did not).
  • Conversely Bito was not on my radar, and I miss him, but I already have my OG. Carr is still there one pick ahead of Oakland, but I doubt they'd have stayed there if we hadn't yet drafted a QB. But fooled them as I had little interest in Carr with AJ McCarron still a couple rounds away. So...
  • My 2nd Rnd pick is likely Jordan Mathews (WR)... last of the very promising WRs I see and a great value at #35 overall.

2015:

• I take Shelton and have no Bills Rnd 1 pick.
  • In Rnd 2 I likely stay at #43 overall and take either Eric Rowe (CB), Eric Kendricks (ILB) or Ali Marpet (OG). Given our O-line issues in 2014 I likely go Marpet.

2014 No Trades-- #4-K. Mack or A. Donald. #26- J. Bitonio. # 35- Derek Carr. #71- Tre Mason or Chris Borland. #106- Martavis Bryant. #127- Took Desir with Tom Savage & L. Taliaferro on board. #145-to Minn. with CB Bene Benwikere, AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger on board. #180- to 49ers- with Alfred Blue & Boom Herron on board. #218-to Balt.-they took WR Mike Campanaro (like him), Will Smith & M. Sams still on board.****************2015----#12- Shelton (with K. Mack behind him :)). Got no issues with pick but CB's Kevin Johnson & Marcus Peters were on board. #19-Erving(OL not imo) my pick was Shane Ray than Bud Dupree. #43 Nate Orchard & I like it & if Mud turns down GM, Tia was all over this one :D..

Tour, I was all over Allen Robinson at 35 in 2014, I think he's done at least as well as Jordan Matthews.

Certainly has turned out that way, Chris. Robinson was just not on my radar at the time.

Where on earth would AD fit in this defense?

Wherever he wants to?

Seriously as either DE inside Kruger or Orchard works on early downs and pick a spot in pass rush situations.

Wow, so many why did we pick him that it is hard to think about. 2014 I have to admit that I was happy with our first pick (just not happy how he turned out); but, I was screaming for Carr with our second first round pick. Looking back, I would liked to have picked a receiver instead of our cornerback and still wish we would have picked up Carr. The one I really wanted (and you will all hate me for this) is Ben Rothlesburger instead of Cam Wimbley. I thought and still think Wimbley was a wasted pick.

Archived