THE BROWNS BOARD

Khalil Mack was leading the NFL in sacks until Watt got a sack today...

Clevfan4life

So now it's Mack or Watkins in 2014...

Granted there were many mocks that had us taking Sammie at #4, but there were precious few projections I remember having Mack falling to 4. I remember more scenarios where teams traded up to #1 with HOU to take Mack there. But HOU got stuck at 1 and couldn't resist Clowney. Then StL bought the Robinson hype. Then JAX really shook things up taking Bortles at #3.

I remember precious little chatter about Watt coming to us back in 2011, but TBH I wasn't paying too much attention back then.

The general point is that when you have a top 6 pick from 2011 to 2014 you could have come away with any of these players:

2011 - Julio Jones, Tyron Smith, JJ Watt, Robert Quinn

2012 - Luke Kuechly, Dontari Poe, Fletcher Cox

2013 - bad draft in general, give this one a pass

2014 - Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack, OBJ, Aaron Donald, Zack Martin, CJ Mosley

The only player who had a minimal impact for the Browns this season in Mingo. Blame it on Pettine (or previous coaches) all you want, but it starts with front office.

i remember Watt was on some boards going to us at 10, if i'm remembering correctly. Mack was potentially expected to go higher than where the Browns were picking, but if either Watkins or Mack was still there the draft pundits said there's no way we''re passing either of those guys up.

Fair enough...

The general point is that when you have a top 6 pick from 2011 to 2014 you could have come away with any of these players: ...

General point is hindsight is 20/20... In its light there were Day Two players we'd be better off with had we taken them Day One, but they went where they were projected to go.

Fair enough...

General point is hindsight is 20/20... In its light there were Day Two players we'd be better off with had we taken them Day One, but they went where they were projected to go.

That's true and all, but Jones, Kuechly and Watkins/Mack were pretty much sure things when they were coming out. I'm not referring to Day 2/3 players who proved to be good players. All of the players I mentioned were basically top 15 picks.

i didn't realize Kuechly was highly touted out of college, is that true? Watkins and Mack were basically blue chip "you can't fucking be serious on not picking these guys" kind of players. Missing Kuechly obviously sucks but it's not the same as passing on Mack and Watkins. For that matter neither is passing on Watt. Watt was a highly touted 4-3 DE coming out of Wisconsin, but Mangini had us in a 3-4. Watt is just one of those guys that went way over his perceived potential even though he was like the 10th pick or something like that. Nobody called that he would excel as a 5 tech 3-4 DE. But Mack would have been perfect for Pettine's 3-4. Had Pettine gone to the mat to pick Mack and we took him, or hell even Watkins...he might still have his job today. That Gilbert pick likely is what sealed the deal considering we're now hearing Gilbert refused to play today.

Kuechly was highly regarded, but has managed to turn out to be even better than some of his biggest boosters thought he'd be.

I'm still remembering a lot of questions about Watt as he came out early after only two years at Wisconsin at DE and was a TE in the MAC the year before those. His resume was thin.

And it wasn't like his Wisconsin numbers were insanely good either. Honors wise he won the Lott and was 2nd team all-American... both in 2010.

He did, however, raise eyebrows at the Combine.

Kuechly was highly regarded, but has managed to turn out to be even better than some of his biggest boosters thought he'd be.

I'm still remembering a lot of questions about Watt as he came out early after only two years at Wisconsin at DE and was a TE in the MAC the year before those. His resume was thin.

And it wasn't like his Wisconsin numbers were insanely good either. Honors wise he won the Lott and was 2nd team all-American... both in 2010.

He did, however, raise eyebrows at the Combine.

Not using Watt in my argument exactly because nobody expected him to be as good as he is now. But Jones, Kuechly and Mack were all regarded as studs and look where they are now, top 3 at their respective positions.

Not using Watt in my argument exactly because nobody expected him to be as good as he is now. But Jones, Kuechly and Mack were all regarded as studs and look where they are now, top 3 at their respective positions.

Mack was far from a sure thing. He'd been playing in very mediocre competition and there was doubt over whether he'd be able to step up to the NFL.

"Meh"

We need to forget the coulda, woulda, shoulda stuff.

Yea we could have hired Bruce Arians and had aaron rodgers and all the damn studs.

But we don't, so lets continue to get drunk and falsely get excited about next year...and the next year...and the next year.

So we've drafted a guy in the first round to play in a 3-4 then sacked the coach. What if the next coach doesn't want to run it, ffs

I think part of the requirements will be to get the best out of the talent we have. Any coach that comes here and tries to fit players to a system won't do well, that's for sure. We have players who have certain talents, we need to put them in a position to demonstrate those talents.

Mack was far from a sure thing. He'd been playing in very mediocre competition and there was doubt over whether he'd be able to step up to the NFL.

i'm gonna disagree with you there. He tore up OSU and his combine was outstanding. If not for that OSU game and one other I believe, yeah you would be right. But on the big stage he utterly tore shit up. Rookie year, one of the best run stoppers at OLB'er. 2nd year...now he's one of the best pass rushers. Holy fuck.

i'm gonna disagree with you there. He tore up OSU and his combine was outstanding. If not for that OSU game and one other I believe, yeah you would be right. But on the big stage he utterly tore shit up. Rookie year, one of the best run stoppers at OLB'er. 2nd year...now he's one of the best pass rushers. Holy fuck.

Yeah it was that OSU game that elevated him really. A good career against meh competition would have been fine and dandy, but the OSU game gave teams faith.

Trouble. And/or a crash diet where he loses about 50 lbs.

He's been in there with Meder at DT when we run 4-3 looks. I don't think it would affect him at all. If anything I would think it would make him even more effective as he'll see less doubles. As a 3-4 NT you are double teamed every single down pretty much, unless you suck. Two effective two gapping DT's makes for a nasty 4-3 if you pair them with competent DE's. ie cincy's 4-3.

There were doubters to be sure, but he was closer to "surefire" that almost any other player in his draft... at least that's what I remember.

OBJ had an injury question circling him going into the draft.

... so lets continue to get drunk and falsely get excited about next year...and the next year...and the next year.

Finally a plan near and dear to a Browns' fans' heart... and liver...

because people want to, again, forego immediate production in favor of projects.

... plus we all want to make the picks we hit upon known to others...

And Shelton will be fine... I know... I wanted to pick him... ;)

Archived