THE BROWNS BOARD

Here's the Problem

beare

Coach before gm just wont work any TOP gm would want there choice of coach not to mention would want control of roster!

Hiring a cap guy as the biggest voice in your organization is COMICAL!

ALSO found haslem comment some coaches will be kept STRANGE what decent coach will come here without being able to name his own staff?

Sadly i think this will turn out even worse thn the last gm head coach search!!

You nailed it! Most GMs want to hire their own people. FanSided ran an article last week that assured us Haslam would hire a GM first.

So I got to thinking; sure hope it's not Chip Kelly who was both. I don't think Chip is the answer unless you trust one guy to do it all. And he failed.

You have to hope it's an illusion and they already have the GM and coach committed. The GM is on a playoff team and the coach is not. If that's not the case it's ass backwards like usual.

The GM was named today. Saschi Brown is the new GM. Maybe not in title...but in the roles he was given today in the press conference.

The GM was named today. Saschi Brown is the new GM. Maybe not in title...but in the roles he was given today in the press conference.

I agree but my take is they are still hiring a guy they call GM in charge of player personnel and scouting. Did I misread that? There's a lot of info flying so it's possible I misread.

I agree but my take is they are still hiring a guy they call GM in charge of player personnel and scouting. Did I misread that? There's a lot of info flying so it's possible I misread.

Sashi has control over the roster and play personnel...

I want to be optimistic about Sashi Brown, because everyone deserves a chance. But Hasslam needs to fire advisors and his PR firm. Terrible announcement release, terrible preparation for Jimmy in his meeting with the media, and terrible title to give Sashi. I hate seeing bad execution on any situation.

I want to be optimistic about Sashi Brown, because everyone deserves a chance. But Hasslam needs to fire advisors and his PR firm. Terrible announcement release, terrible preparation for Jimmy in his meeting with the media, and terrible title to give Sashi. I hate seeing bad execution on any situation.

They certainly could have prepped him to sugar coat it better. Agree completely.

Actually I don't think the HC/GM hiring order is that big of a deal since Sashi is tacitly the GM, even if he does not have the title.

Sashi has control over the roster and play personnel...

Game day active 46 is under Sashi? Where did you read/hear that?

Coach before gm just wont work any TOP gm would want there choice of coach not to mention would want control of roster!

ALSO found haslem comment some coaches will be kept STRANGE what decent coach will come here without being able to name his own staff?

Sadly i think this will turn out even worse thn the last gm head coach search!!...What a bunch of losers. Guess i'll wait and see what happens with the gm and hc before i decide to renew sunday nfl ticket. Christ, I have been following the browns since 1963 and never in my wildest dreams would i have witnessed anything like this. This is not going to change either.until fucking shitsam sells this team to someone who knows what a football looks like...fucking charlatan. Looks like i might have to support the falcons. Oh well, at least i'll save some moola...

We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.

Yea probably, but I don't think the Farmer/Pettine combo were the right people. At least not Farmer - which is a shame because everybody was excited when he replaced Lombanner.

I think Pettine could have been a successful coach, but when you clean the farm the coach usually gets forced out regardless.

We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.

because this franchise, moreover the owner(s), have no foresight past 1 or 2 years and instead of trusting the people they hired, they let the grumblings of a fanbase dictate their decision making.

Yea probably, but I don't think the Farmer/Pettine combo were the right people. At least not Farmer - which is a shame because everybody was excited when he replaced Lombanner.

I think Pettine could have been a successful coach, but when you clean the farm the coach usually gets forced out regardless.

I can't disagree on that but I am beginning to believe that the 3rd year in all these "plans" involves cocktails in Aruba.

Agree there. Starting with the GM that was here when Jimmah took over. Heckert Pettine Horton Turner Chud all could have won but were cut off at the knees. Happy to see Jimmahs wife is now part of the think tank and they have a kiddy lawyer to make the picks. Things are trending in the right direction.

Agree there. Starting with the GM that was here when Jimmah took over. Heckert Pettine Horton Turner Chud all could have won but were cut off at the knees. Happy to see Jimmahs wife is now part of the think tank and they have a kiddy lawyer to make the picks. Things are trending in the right direction.

The think tank. Hmmmmmmmm I bet there's a better name for it.

You nailed it! Most GMs want to hire their own people. FanSided ran an article last week that assured us Haslam would hire a GM first.

So I got to thinking; sure hope it's not Chip Kelly who was both. I don't think Chip is the answer unless you trust one guy to do it all. And he failed.

He failed? He was given one year as HC and GM. All those players he released that everyone complained about .. 1 is doing well and that's desean. Everyone else isn't doing shit

If chip can fix his people skills I'm all in on him

I will say, this structure set-up would lend itself into something old Chip Kelly would want. I'm far from crazy of the idea but he could slide into the HC and "GM" role again with Sashi calling the main shots in whatever the hell his title is. That would certainly be appealing to him I'm sure.

On the flip side any potential coach can nominate his "GM" which makes the job more attractive. The GM can be technically overruled by Sashi but unlikely since Sashi's not a football guy. In other words the Dwayne Bowe situation would be less likely to repeat itself.

Sadly i think this will turn out even worse thn the last gm head coach search!!

Here is the problem all of you naysayers don't get:

We are NOT hiring a "GM"....not in the traditional term. We are hiring a director of player personnel...who will really be a subordinate to the HC.

So? You don't think this works? Well.....this same setup has worked to the tune of 6 Super Bowl appearances and 4 wins in New England. There, the "GM/DOPP" has been a subordinate of Bill Belichick's pretty much all along.

So, you don't like the setup. Tell the Pats it don't work.

I agree with Haslam on the bit it's not so much about a certain structure but it's about having the right people for the job.

However, getting the right people is a bit of a problem for us

And the structure does impact the attractiveness of the position.

For those that think the structure actually makes the HC position appear to be more attractive...

The problem is that Sashimi clearly has the Big Boss' ear. That plus the fact that the Scoutmaster will report to him will far outweigh the apparent perk of an HC getting to pick his talent supplier in the long run.

Having a skilled facilitator in the mix is a great idea, but one of the keys to successful facilitation is unquestioned impartiality... and having a direct report on one side of the table poisons that well.

I honestly would have auditioned Susudio in his new role for a season with Pet and Farmer, but with both of them continuing to report to Jimmah...

"Having final say" isn't "being a GM", just for the record. This front office structure is not new to us, it's what we ran with Heckert and Banner.

The scouting, pounding the pavement, conducting meetings with prospects, watching game tape, assembling a team - all of that is still likely going to be handled by the GM. Sashi is just, for all intents and purposes, a physical embodiment of a system of checks and balances. He will assemble the information from his GM, look at the stats, and figure out the best scenario for the team, in theory.

This will hurt the attractiveness of the position, for sure. No established GM would come here without absolute power. So I don't expect us to get an established GM. Further, it hurts our searching in the way that teams can now block us from interviewing candidates.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see us promote Morocco Brown to GM. Brown is the other half of the coin. Sashi is the former lawyer, analytic driven right brain - Morocco is the former player, talent evaluating left brain. Morocco was the assistant director of pro personnel in Chicago from 2001-2007, then the director of pro personnel in Washington from 2008-2013. IMO, this would likely be the best direction for the franchise. They have a rapport, they've worked together, and it still promotes some stability. With Morocco taking over, I think we'd see less of a roster overhaul.

Also, that would make the two guys in charge "Brown"s.

"Having final say" isn't "being a GM", just for the record. This front office structure is not new to us, it's what we ran with Heckert and Banner.

The scouting, pounding the pavement, conducting meetings with prospects, watching game tape, assembling a team - all of that is still likely going to be handled by the GM. Sashi is just, for all intents and purposes, a physical embodiment of a system of checks and balances. He will assemble the information from his GM, look at the stats, and figure out the best scenario for the team, in theory.

This will hurt the attractiveness of the position, for sure. No established GM would come here without absolute power. So I don't expect us to get an established GM. Further, it hurts our searching in the way that teams can now block us from interviewing candidates.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see us promote Morocco Brown to GM. Brown is the other half of the coin. Sashi is the former lawyer, analytic driven right brain - Morocco is the former player, talent evaluating left brain. Morocco was the assistant director of pro personnel in Chicago from 2001-2007, then the director of pro personnel in Washington from 2008-2013. IMO, this would likely be the best direction for the franchise. They have a rapport, they've worked together, and it still promotes some stability. With Morocco taking over, I think we'd see less of a roster overhaul.

Also, that would make the two guys in charge "Brown"s.

Interesting point.....and plausible about Morocco Brown.

Could by quite a dynamic duo: Paul Brown, Jim Brown, Sashi Brown, Morroco Brown.

Now....we just need to find a qualified HC candidate named Brown.

Gary Brown?....former Browns...now Cowboys RB coach?

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/coaches/roster/gary-brown

Archived