THE BROWNS BOARD

The Screen Play Pick-6

Guest ATENEARS

Just like Joe Thomas should have put a lid on Suggs?

Sure. I'm fine with that.

Just like Z can't shank a punt which leads to points.

Just like our safeties can't get beat deep.

On and on.

Stan, I think you have a better chance of getting what you want (less focus on the QB's) if you stop provoking. Maybe you're trying to get a big lead on your post count, I don't know.

Guest Masters

You missed the point. I was saying that because of your laughable understanding (or lack of) on how a screen play works, the responsibilities of OL in it, and what the QB is supposed to do when the DL you are intentionally letting threw gets there.

Much like DA can't throw a swing pass, he can't handle a simple screen play. This probably explains why we see little of the screen or the swing in CLEs offense.

For the record, I never once questioned the rush on Anderson, except that he had to get rid of that football at that very milli-second and it was well before Wright ever looked for the football. Never once did I question that design of that part of that play.

I would have like to have seen Joe Thomas put Suggs on his ass or drive him out of that play. Suggs read that puppy all the way and no one touched him.

I've read all day about how big and bad the Ravens Defense is against the rush and no one blames our O-line for not clearing holes or Jamal Lewis for not making holes, but when DA gets caught by this same containing at-the-line-of-scrimmage defense, all of a sudden there is no mention of Suggs great read-react-and-play, only that DA should-of stepped aside and pierced the might 'D' .... good grief.

Nice block Joe.

On a screen DA should be still dropping back or rolling away from it (as WPD already pointed out).

JT was where he was supposed to be and Suggs was out of the play. DA threw the ball to JT and Suggs while Wright isn't even over that far, nor should he be. If JT goes at Suggs to pancake him like he would on a run, he's likely to end up as an illegal blocker down field.

DA threw the ball to Suggs and JT. It was a bad panic throw. Even if Suggs had it sniffed out, which where he was a good throw likely has him tackling Wright from behind after a few yards, then throw the ball at the feet of Wright, not directly to your left tackle and the incoming defender.

Oh, and I was just laughing as they were doing the Browns highlight on NFL Countdown. Showing one of the 3 and outs while CLE was down, and there was DA being Frye and rolling away from not real pressure and right in to real pressure.

Guest Masters

Because that isn't what an OLman does on a screen. You are selling pass protection. You don't pancake on pass protection. That's how an OLman ends up past the line of scrimage before the pass and you get flagged for an illegal blocker down field!

Guest ATENEARS

It is a screen you are suppose to let the pass rush it, it is the whole point!!!!

Are you people stupid? Suggs got so far into the play that he was the only one in position to make the play. He played wrights job better than Wright played.

Others are talking about the rush from the rightside, allowing the gates to open to drop the pass beyond them and away you go ... but you guys are all BQ pole smokers if you can't agree that someone needed to block the OLB that sniffed out the play so badly that Jason Wrights Mom's crotch got sore. He was all over the play, he wasn't fooled by anything. He wasn't running hell bent after the QB - he was stalking the freaking pass into the wedge. You BLOCK that guy!

Guest Masters

It is a screen you are suppose to let the pass rush it, it is the whole point!!!!

Are you people stupid? Suggs got so far into the play that he was the only one in position to make the play. He played wrights job better than Wright played.

Others are talking about the rush from the rightside, allowing the gates to open to drop the pass beyond them and away you go ... but you guys are all BQ pole smokers if you can't agree that someone needed to block the OLB that sniffed out the play so badly that Jason Wrights Mom's crotch got sore. He was all over the play, he wasn't fooled by anything. He wasn't running hell bent after the QB - he was stalking the freaking pass into the wedge. You BLOCK that guy!

Are you on crack now?

Suggs was on the left of JT. He's the left tackle! The screen is run inside the LT and the guard. Wright wasn't out of place, nor was JT. Again, learn how the screen works.

The pressure from the right is because you are pulling your guard over to be a blocker on the screen.

He didn't sniff it out, he was pass rushing and was outside the play (trying to come around the left tackle). DA threw him the ball.

Guest ATENEARS
He didn't sniff it out, he was pass rushing and was outside the play (trying to come around the left tackle). DA threw him the ball.

LOL, you don't have a clue. Go watch the play again. Suggs was not rushing the passer ... he was most certainly sniffing out the play and had it snuffed out moreso than any other player on the field no matter what uniform they were wearing.

Go watch the video, stop it at the 2:37 mark and come back reporting whether Suggs was sniffing out the screen or rushing the passer.

Guest Masters

LOL, you don't have a clue. Go watch the play again. Suggs was not rushing the passer ... he was most certainly sniffing out the play and had it snuffed out moreso than any other play on the field no matter what uniform they were wearing.

Go watch the video, stop it at the 2:37 mark and come back reporting whether Suggs was sniffing out the screen or rushing the passer.

I watched the video, and ESPN breaking down the play 3 different times. Suggs is coming off the edge. He's on JTs left shoulder. Pass rushing coming around the edge (though he does just stop and wait there, so I'll give you he read screen). Ball thrown right into his hand. If the throw actually goes to Wright, Suggs has to go threw JT to get to him. To make it worse that DA did that, he's in the SHOT GUN. So that DL getting in on him had to close 7 yards.

Stick to baseball Stan.

Guest ATENEARS

Bernie Kosar on the radio was just talking about the play and said, "I bet Joe Thomas wishes he had that one back!" He said that when a player doesn't blitz as planned and sniffs out the play, you then go out and 'get him' (put a lid on him).

I'm sure you heard it too because you reported on the Joe J news that was on just after that segment.

Bernie Kosar on the radio was just talking about the play and said, "I bet Joe Thomas wishes he had that one back!" He said that when a player doesn't blitz as planned and sniffs out the play, you then go out and 'get him' (put a lid on him).

I'm sure you heard it too because you reported on the Joe J news that was on just after that segment.

It still does not relieve DumbAss of throwing it right into his hands, you mook.

Geeshus chee-rist pal. U watch football much?

Guest Masters

I saw the JJ thing on ESPN.com. I am not in Ohio, so I don't get to hear Bernie on the radio. Still doesn't excuse throwing the ball to the purple jersey.

Did just hear Dilfer ripping CLE for the move of benching DA, and saying they are disfunctional from the top down, on Sportscenter. Though the way he came off sounded like sour grapes.

I've seen dilfer get emotional before talking about football . When he doesn't do that, I like listening to him...when he does, he makes an ass of himself. The way he acted tonight talking about the move really held no credibility. He just looked and acted pissed off about it instead of being neutral on the fact. He acted like he was DA's dad or something.

Archived