THE BROWNS BOARD

Sean Payton Staying In New Orleans

BrownsKidd

As the title reads. Sean Payton maybe out in NO. I always thought that he might be a great fit for JFF, but alas, JFF has proved, that his head is squarely up his ass and will probably land in Dallas. But I still think Payton would be a good choice. Seasoned coach, SB win, and with the right talent, can have a dynamic offense.

BUUUUT.... would he even consider coming here with our new state of the art organizational structure?

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Saints want a second-round pick in exchange for Sean Payton.

A coaching trade has not happened in the NFL since Jon Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Bucs after the 2001 season, although the Browns and 49ers came close to a deal for Jim Harbaugh two years ago. A second-round pick would be considerably less than what the Bucs gave away for Gruden, but it would likely be just one of a package of picks the Saints ask for in return for their Super-Bowl-winning coach. The Saints appear open to moving Payton, and there should be plenty of teams interested.

would you give up the 2nd rd pick to get payton?

Seems like a low price for a coach with the ability to take a team to the Superbowl.

One might wonder why the Saints aren't headed to the championship with the great Drew Brees and such a wonderful coach?

WSS

Their D is the only one giving ours competition as worst in the league, and Brees has been injured this season (say hi to backup Luke McCown). They were 7-9 in spite of that.

Would you be against the Browns reaching for Payton. They want a 2nd rounder for him. And Brees might be shipped too. I'm sure Payton will stay and brees will take a cut. But would you be against bringing them in?

Yes. than hell yes. He was here before with Belicheck. You take your 1st rounder than give NO pick 32 which is a 1st round pick that nobody else can. Sashi & scoutmaster will need a qualified HC to make football decisions & Payton is above our dreams. but Payton will end up with Giants with better player personnel. We qualify for the Dan Campbell's of the world from dolphins, maybe..

Only reason the price is low is probably because Payton doesn't wanna cripple his new team.

That being said I'd say the likely spot would be Indy.

Or the Giiants.. he has ties there.

Only reason the price is low is probably because Payton doesn't wanna cripple his new team.

That being said I'd say the likely spot would be Indy.

Payton doesn't have any say in his price... but I agree on Indy... dome sweet dome...

As for Brees... no one will take on his contract as is with a $30MM cap hit in 2016, so step one is restructuring.

Throw in Drew Brees? The guy that sucks if the team is not operating at 100%? The guy who is too short to see over the line? That guy?

And put him on, wait for it, this team?

Along with a coach that doesn't want to be here? That's brilliant!

WSS

That guy has a super bowl ring...our midget can't show up when he's supposed to.

Payton would be my first choice if it were possible. He did rebuild the Saints! The down years for New Orleans have little to do with Payton. They have salary cap issues, high priced veterans etc. getting out of there would be the best thing for Payton. Taking the Browns job would be ideal for him. He would chose his quarterback, system, and plenty of cap space.

Boy oh boy don't get me started because I know we'll never get him. But what a coup that would be.

Payton would be my first choice if it were possible. He did rebuild the Saints! The down years for New Orleans have little to do with Payton. They have salary cap issues, high priced veterans etc. getting out of there would be the best thing for Payton. Taking the Browns job would be ideal for him. He would chose his quarterback, system, and plenty of cap space.

Boy oh boy don't get me started because I know we'll never get him. But what a coup that would be.

I forgot to mention that Drew Bree's is owed 30 million next year. One of the biggest reasons their defense sucks! Cap room and high priced veterans.

I'm going to say my Rosary and put a word in for Payton

Well then I guess everyone bitching about height is wrong.

WSS

Everyone bitching about height is saying successful short QBs are the exception, not the rule. Brees and Wilson are those exceptions.

Everyone bitching about height is saying successful short QBs are the exception, not the rule. Brees and Wilson are those exceptions.

I think you may be sugar coating the insults but....

More often my point is proven that shity teams have unsuccessful quarterbacks no matter how tall they are. I would bet dollars to dog sgit that Drew Brees would suck canal water with Mike Pettineso Browns.

WSS

I think you may be sugar coating the insults but....

More often my point is proven that shity teams have unsuccessful quarterbacks no matter how tall they are. I would bet dollars to dog sgit that Drew Brees would suck canal water with Mike Pettineso Browns.

WSS

You could say that about just about any QB outside of about 3 guys. Put Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Eli Manning or any of a number of guys back there and you have the same issue of being able to repeat the success outside of that bubble.

Been thinking about Payton. I like this idea a lot. He's a great coach and has won. Also with his ties within the coaching and players and he can shuffle a roster. He took a losing team and took them to the SB. That's what the Browns need.

Also Payton has a demeamer about himself people enjoy. A school kid approach to football wearing baseball caps in a town eager to win would be awesome. Much better than a wannabe badass.

As the title reads. Sean Payton maybe out in NO. I always thought that he might be a great fit for JFF, but alas, JFF has proved, that his head is squarely up his ass and will probably land in Dallas. But I still think Payton would be a good choice. Seasoned coach, SB win, and with the right talent, can have a dynamic offense.

BUUUUT.... would he even consider coming here with our new state of the art organizational structure?

per joe banners quote on mike and mike, with this new moneyball type of structure, no decent coach would ever want to get involved with it...dat means sean payton...

Seems like a low price for a coach with the ability to take a team to the Superbowl.

One might wonder why the Saints aren't headed to the championship with the great Drew Brees and such a wonderful coach?

WSS

might have something to do with the worse defense ever since the inception of football....don't think that is a drew brees issue...not sure about peyton if he gets involved with drafting players...don't know how there structure is set up...

At least a dozen NFL teams have started using more advanced metric ideas, such as the patriots. It's not new we just seem the most committed to it.

Were we in that dozen-plus prior to two days ago?

Were we in that dozen-plus prior to two days ago?

Seems that way, this gives a decent beakdown of it: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12331388/the-great-analytics-rankings

At least Banner was into it a little bit, not sure about Farmer - probably why we commissioned the study of the best quarterback which should have made Bridgewater our QB instead of Manziel.

Archived