THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 qb's rated

poplarbluffman

http://www.nfldraftresearch.com/qb

avg number drafted 12 last 5 years. Avg 1 maybe 2 starters a year. Over all a much better group then the 2014 QB's and maybe the best in over a decade

1. Jared Goff 6'4 210 California top 5 pick..not as good as P Manning but similar skill set
2. Paxton Lynch 6'6 230 Memphis top 10 pick has some Roethlisberger/Cam Newton similarities
3. Carson Wentz 6'5 231 North Dakota St mid/late 1st 6'6 230 very underrated handles pressure well both inside and on the move, fearless accurate passer
4. Cardale Jones 6'5 250 2nd handles chaos/high ceiling very raw but talented
5. Conner Cook 6'4 220 Michigan 2nd fast reads, nfl arm/body but struggles with chaos, not a natural thrower of the ball
6. Brandon Doughty 6'3 215 Western Kentucky 2n/3rd has the swagger/instincts of a top NFL qb elite sleeper reminds me of Drew Brees skinny body not sure how well he will hold up
7. Brandon Allen 6'2 ½ 210 2nd/3rd Jeremiah," reminds me of "Jimmy Garoppolo"...me too elite ability to throw on the move and throw under pressure..plus very smart
8. Dak Prescott 6'2 220 Mississippi St 3rd a bull dog/winner with some talent similar to Wilson..has the ability to run for 50 first downs a year while still being a decent nfl passer

9. Jake Coker 6'5 232 3rd/4th Alabama Florida St transfer couldn't beat out Winston at Florida st or Blake Sims at Alabama similar to Sean Mannion without the experience..big time arm/size/intelligence
10. Kevin Hogan 3rd/4th Stanford no WOW! but a decent prospect with below avg pocket presence
11. Nate Sudfield 6'6 240 Indiana 4th/5th has a top nfl arm lacks elite vision/instincts
12. Jeff Driscoll 5th/7th 6'4 Louisiana Tech 234 looks like a nfl qb former #1 high school qb prospect in the nation great senior season

13.Christian Hackenberg 6'4 235 5th/7th Penn St elite arm arm, team captain, hard worker but with an erratic arm.
13.Cody Kessler 6'1 215 USC 6/7th lacks NFL talent..backup type
14. Tayson Hill 6'2 232 6th/7th BYU has NFL tools but with a long history of injuries..size, speed, accuracy and arm..great later rd backup/developmental pick
15 Jacoby Brissett North Carolina St 6'3 235 has the arm/body but noticeably slow in his reads.

Real instinct questions

16 Matt Johnson 6'0 220 Bowling Green ppf top graded qb shades of Chase Daniel lacks elite talent

when evaluating I start with swag..all top qb's have a narcissist type confidence. They are the ones who succeed in the 4th quarter. In fact out of 16 Meyer Briggs personality types many of the Hall of Fame qb's have the exact same personality type...Forget that "face of the franchise" bs...you want a rebel. The QB who is willing to call his own plays and lead in the 4th quarter. Swagger

2nd touch/vision. Can they throw to their te's, can they loft a ball over a lb and in front of a safety and most importantly can they find a te/wr in the back of the end zone in the red zone..either they have it or they don't.

3rd size/arm decent height/weight to survive and and at least an average NFL arm. Lot of stars in spread offenses lack the arm strength to hit wr's on deep outs.
pocket presence/courage feel inside the pocket and courage to take a hit to make a play.

ability to throw accurately on the move nd using different throwing angles. Can't count on a clean pocket. All college qb's should complete 60% of their passes but how well they can throw into tight windows matters more.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Jared Goff 6'4 210 California top 5 pick..not as good as P Manning but similar skill set
6. Brandon Doughty 6'3 215 Western Kentucky 2n/3rd has the swagger/instincts of a top NFL qb elite sleeper reminds me of Drew Brees skinny body not sure how well he will hold up

I don't trust any source that says #6 is skinny and may not hold up when he is 1 in. shorter and 5 lbs. heavier than their #1 guy without the same concern.

I don't trust any source that says #6 is skinny and may not hold up when he is 1 in. shorter and 5 lbs. heavier than their #1 guy without the same concern.

Fair point...

isn't the weight but where it is located...a skinny kid lifts weights and get gets heavier but still has the same small frame...some kids with large bones are dieting to get down to 220 while others are eating protein shakes 4 times daily trying to stay at 215.... one can easily take the pounding in the nfl while the other will be lucky to survive one season

btw I had Manziel ranked 36th best prospect in 2014. Will say he has looked worse because of the hc/schemes

I'm from Missouri and not a Browns fan but I'd jump at drafting Lynch 1st then Goff because of the weather

IMO as it stands today:

Goff and Wentz are the most NFL-ready with franchise QB potential.

Hackenberg I see as the most likely late-round success (not that it's a high rate of success). Although he'll need a couple of years I think...

I don't see most of the others being starter-caliber NFL QBs.

And I thoroughly disagree with this list, mostly.

What about 2015?

kids are kids..not all take a straight road in their development...still had a 141 qb rating and 63% comp rate(in a bad year)

basically started 6-8 games in his career?

...Brett Favre looked nothing like the player he would become after his 1st 6-8 college starts

kid has serious talent

kids are kids..not all take a straight road in their development...still had a 141 qb rating and 63% comp rate(in a bad year)

basically started 6-8 games in his career?

...Brett Favre looked nothing like the player he would become after his 1st 6-8 college starts

kid has serious talent

What would you say are his best attributes, and where does he need work? Outside of 'swag' of course.

What would you say are his best attributes, and where does he need work? Outside of 'swag' of course.

obviously size and arm...but most of all loved the kids competitiveness...something all the great ones have...not bothered by a collapsing pocket in crunch time kid still wants to make a play

needs to work with a top qb coach on his technique...sloppy feet

lot of kids have their best year in their soph/junior season...you will miss out on a lot of talent with a "what have you done recently" attitude...

just part of the evaluation process

It was three games...

How'd he do over the entire 2015 season?

I'm not saying he doesn't have potential and all of the physical tools... But #4 seems very high

It was three games...

How'd he do over the entire 2015 season?

I'm not saying he doesn't have potential and all of the physical tools... But #4 seems very high

141 qb rating and a 63% percentage...most of the kids on this list would kill for those kind of numbers. My #4 ranking is based on long term starter potential. Lot of tall, strong prospects with good arms ranked later but most have that backup qb look...really like Prescott, Allen and Doughty and might move them ahead of Jones in time

Objectively looking at Cardale I don't want him. He's not going to be a franchise QB anywhere in the league.

There's a lot better QB prospects I'd go for in the lower rounds (Prescott, Hackenberg)

love Prescott..a born leader live in St Louis and love for our next team to draft him

Hackenberg as an athlete is so stiff in his movements...IMO that explains his low comp % rocket arm but make him move and forget it...

love Prescott..a born leader live in St Louis and love for our next team to draft him

Hackenberg as an athlete is so stiff in his movements...IMO that explains his low comp % rocket arm but make him move and forget it...

Hackenberg is definitely less NFL ready, but an interesting prospect if we're talking round 4-7 QBs.

I could be on board with Bosa @ #2 and Prescott somewhere down the road (round 2, 3? Not sure where he'll be projected yet).

when evaluating I start with swag..all top qb's have a narcissist type confidence. They are the ones who succeed in the 4th quarter. In fact out of 16 Meyer Briggs personality types many of the Hall of Fame qb's have the exact same personality type...Forget that "face of the franchise" bs...you want a rebel. The QB who is willing to call his own plays and lead in the 4th quarter. Swagger

So we wanted Johnny?

What Myers-Briggs box and how many of the 16 are in it?

So we wanted Johnny?

What Myers-Briggs box and how many of the 16 are in it?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/peyton-manning-ryan-leaf-june-jones-the-qb-book-excerpt-feldman-102814

ESTP

Jones could rattle off the names of all the great quarterbacks who were ESTPs (FEIRs): Joe Montana, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Jim Kelly, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, Fran Tarkenton and Brett Favre. An eye-catching majority of the Hall of Fame quarterbacks who played in the past 30 years are this one personality type.

So were other Super Bowl–winning quarterbacks Ken Stabler, Phil Simms, Joe Theismann and Trent Dilfer. Jones used the famous NFL Films anecdote of Montana -- the moment before beginning a last-minute, game-winning, touchdown drive in the Super Bowl, walking into the huddle and matter-of-factly pointing out John Candy in the crowd to one of his linemen as an example of a guy wired to thrive under pressure.

“ESTPs, under pressure, play their best,” said Jones.

“I had this conversation with [former Denver Broncos head coach] Dan Reeves. He wanted to get rid of John Elway. He said Elway couldn’t learn the playbook. But guess who was so great in the two-minute drill? John Elway. Guess who was calling all the plays then? John Elway.

I rated Manziel as the 36th best prospect..long on swag a little short on talent

to be fair the Browns also didn't do him any favors..he needed a tall Evans wr for when he scrambled..and he should be allowed to scramble and not be a pocket passer.

Somebody must be getting kickbacks for ranking Paxton Lynch so high. He couldn't muster a touchdown against Auburn. Hopefully his stock falls before the Browns draft another Brady Quinn/Brandon Weeden.

They need help at so many posititions a QB as the first pick better be a HOME RUN!

Bosa, Elliot, Cardale

I think Paxton Lynch has a low chance of success in the NFL - as a result his stock will fall a bit on draft day almost in a Quinn-esque fashion.

The guy is a spread offense guy, doesn't make the reads, struggles on deep accuracy. He could succeed, but I think the odds are pretty low. Probably too low for a first-round pick.

Goff however...this is a prospect who is more intriguing to me than both Winston and Mariota (#1 and #2) last year. Also more intriguing to me than guys like Manziel, Bortles, and Carr were in 2014.

I think Goff has by far a much bigger potential than people here (and some other places) think. Potentially the guy to end the cycle of 20-25 or however many starting QBs since 99'

But that's just what I think...The guy has the mechanics, the size (should bulk up a bit), accuracy, power, pocket awareness, and consistently makes the right read.

Would you be suggesting our next 1st round qb flop? Or that we'll most likely trade down from the 2nd pick? LOL

Me? Never... ;)

Had I been goofing around I'm sure bb would have caught it...

Archived