THE BROWNS BOARD

A positive article on Sashi Brown

LondonBrown

I actually like Sashi, at least what I know about him.

10 years in-the-NFL experience and apparently a really smart dude who people seem to know around the NFL (harvard law graduate, etc.) The guy who can make all the numbers work in the cap and such, it's definitely not a bad move.

Giving him any personnel control may not make as much sense to me, but it's hard to tell how that whole process will work at this point. Combining quality football guys with a guy who's good at football analytics sounds good in theory.

It *could* work if he's just there as like a project manager - gather information from everyone, including all scouts, scoutmaster general, head coach, and generate the consensus, without the Farmer/Pettine ego wrestling that got in the way this year.

Joe Banner was relatively successful in that role until he tried to get too involved in personnel decisions.

It's so easy to pile on the Cleveland Browns right now. Heck, I'll admit I did it myself Sunday night when one of their beat writers pointed out they'd now fired three general managers and three coaches (not to mention president Joe Banner) in only three years.

So naturally, when owner Jimmy Haslam announced he was promoting Sashi Brown to executive Vice President of football operations, it was quickly dismissed by many as more Browns-being-Browns behavior.

A lawyer as de facto GM? Please. It'll be only two years before the Browns fire a guy named Brown and start doing this whole dance again, right?

Maybe not. This move might actually wind up being the first wise one Haslam has made.

Over the past few years, Brown's name is the one that's drawn praise when people around the league have spoken about Cleveland. In a front office where egos clashed, he was noted as the one who seemed to have the franchise's best interests in mind.

A member of Sports Business Journal's "Forty Under 40" list last year, Brown is a graduate of Harvard Law School and has served as the team's general counsel after playing a similar role for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

But to say Brown is going right from being the team's lawyer to its GM would be a mischaracterization on both ends. He's had more responsibilities in Cleveland than he did in Jacksonville, such as negotiating the team's contracts. Several veteran agents have told FOX Sports dealings with Brown were much more professional than negotiations under previous regimes.

"He is very capable (of handling his new role)," one agent texted on Monday morning.

It's not as if Brown is the first salary-cap guy to take over football operations. It's just that his taking over minutes after Ray Farmer and Mike Pettine were fired and before the coaching search has even begun, framed by the Browns' failures in recent years, makes this move an easy one to bash.

Plus, when Haslam announced Brown would have control over the team's roster, it read for many as if he'd be the one selecting the players while trying to pass himself off as a longtime personnel guy who cut his teeth on the road for years.

That's not the case, Browns sources say. They say he has no ego and they have full confidence Brown understands his role and his limitations. Most importantly, they say Brown knows how critical the hiring of the next head of personnel will be.

"If you look at the team's that are successful, they're very good at talent acquisition," Haslam said Sunday night. "That's something we have to get right, and we think this setup with somebody with a background in systems, processes, analytics ... married up with a football person who is very good at talent evaluation will hopefully put us in a position to win a lot more games than we have in the past."

There's more to running football operations than picking the players. Way more. It's about aligning an organization and making sure the coach, the head of personnel, the scouts and everyone are making joint decisions.

In other words, it's about giving "Browns-being-Browns" a new meaning. Don't be surprised if it's the guy named Brown who gets that done.

stop it. We do this every year. Hey this new cunt is really smart, he seems like he's got some real gumption!! Every time. They all turn out to be cunts. The unfounded optimism some browns fans exhibit with each successive regime change....it just flummoxes me. When has the "just throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" approach worked?

This hire isn't some "steal", like we found some little gem or some bullshit like that. What this is..is.....nobody else wants the job.

stop it. We do this every year. Hey this new cunt is really smart, he seems like he's got some real gumption!! Every time. They all turn out to be cunts. The unfounded optimism some browns fans exhibit with each successive regime change....it just flummoxes me. When has the "just throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" approach worked?

This hire isn't some "steal", like we found some little gem or some bullshit like that. What this is..is.....nobody else wants the job.

What else are we supposed to do?

So Sashi has been negotiating contracts?

Can he explain why we didn't bother to resign Buster or Sheard? Especially the latter seeing as how we'd be in need of a pass rusher of his mold soon.

The players chosen fall on the GM (rayray), the actual contract negotiations are Brown.

I really don't think anyone considers this a steal though? No one is bouncing off the walls but this article at least explains the guy wasn't just some suit reading legal documents. Hell, most people on here should admit including me they didn't even know this guy was in the FO yet alone his talent level.

It's certainly a bit odd but just because a guy has final roster decisions doesn't mean he's a crazy bastard who will not listen to people. How the rest of the staff rounds out will go a long way to how I feel.

I'd prefer Watson

lol.. and you'd only need him part time...

So Sashi has been negotiating contracts?

Can he explain why we didn't bother to resign Buster or Sheard? Especially the latter seeing as how we'd be in need of a pass rusher of his mold soon.

Hey he landed Bowe didn't he? ;)

Just bothers me when agents start praising our negotiator...

But back to his new role... How exactly is he going to break ties between 2 football guys?

I really don't think anyone considers this a steal though? No one is bouncing off the walls but this article at least explains the guy wasn't just some suit reading legal documents. Hell, most people on here should admit including me they didn't even know this guy was in the FO yet alone his talent level.

It's certainly a bit odd but just because a guy has final roster decisions doesn't mean he's a crazy bastard who will not listen to people. How the rest of the staff rounds out will go a long way to how I feel.

I just realized myself that this was a hire from within.

I'm hoping Tour that they will discuss and be sensible and mature about it.

I hear ya... problem is that if hope was a plan then both Pet and Farmer might still have jobs.

I wish more people read this article. So many focusing on him having final say on the roster and draft, yet not possessing the requisite skill set or experience to complete the tasks. What really encouraged me was reading that this guy somehow doesn't have an ego. He's obviously uber intelligent, and a brilliant man without an ego is a rare commodity. This tells me that he'll trust his staff and coaches to do what they do best, and he'll trust his scouts and general manager to find the necessary talent. Do I know this will happen? Hell no, nobody knows one way or the other, but to me it's more fun than saying, "We completely screwed the pooch again! We're doomed!"

Here's another thing guys...Farmer was BAD. And not just bad, he was an arrogant ass clown that couldn't find his Johnson with both hands and a road map. How many starters did he produce in two drafts? How many impact free agents did he acquire? How did he improve our team? Oh, that's right, he didn't. So now we have a new process, and new personnel. Can these men do a WORSE job? I'm sure they could, but I don't see it happening. To me, Farmer was garbage and my Aunt Maurine would be a freaking upgrade (this is the woman that raises goldfish and calls them her children btw)

So Denver, still want Joe Thomas for a first rounder? Let's go. Goodbye Mingo. Goodbye Bowe. Let's get younger and tougher. Let's lay a foundation in place, and start to build around some young talent. We draft Bosa, or hopefully Jalyn Smith. Our injured young CB comes back healthy and owns. Haden is back to form, as well as K'Waun and Tramon backing us up. Orchard and Shelton make strides, and all the sudden we have some pieces in place. We start McCown next year, with a young draft selection learning all year (Wentz in second round). We support.the team as always, we cheer loudly, and we hope we get it RIGHT. It's time. It's PAST time. Let's go, dammit!

Archived