THE BROWNS BOARD

A positive article on Sashi Brown

LondonBrown

I actually like Sashi, at least what I know about him.

10 years in-the-NFL experience and apparently a really smart dude who people seem to know around the NFL (harvard law graduate, etc.) The guy who can make all the numbers work in the cap and such, it's definitely not a bad move.

Giving him any personnel control may not make as much sense to me, but it's hard to tell how that whole process will work at this point. Combining quality football guys with a guy who's good at football analytics sounds good in theory.

if you have tivo, hopefully you taped todays show...they had joe banner on and basically what i got out of it was he said that it will be hard for any decent coach to want to get involved the way the browns are going...yes he is analytical and knows nothing about the game. he said he uses stats to determine if players are too old and need to be replaced...that is dangerous. this sounds like money ball and that don't work....this isn't baseball... actually in the end, it did not work for baseball either....

It has worked for baseball and it will work even more...

While the A's have been at the forefront of Sabermetrics, they were also alone for years. So ultimately it was them against the field... and yes, the field held them at bay. But...

Along came the Boston Red Sox who hired Bill James, Mr. Sabermetrics, in 2002 and three championships followed.

As many as a third of MLB teams are openly on the metrics train... and quietly use them.

The field is getting smaller...

It has worked for baseball and it will work even more...

While the A's have been at the forefront of Sabermetrics, they were also alone for years. So ultimately it was them against the field... and yes, the field held them at bay. But...

Along came the Boston Red Sox who hired Bill James, Mr. Sabermetrics, in 2002 and three championships followed.

As many as a third of MLB teams are openly on the metrics train... and quietly use them.

The field is getting smaller...

And the fact that the A's are competitive each year despite being a small market team with a shittty stadium situation proves that it can work, at least in baseball. Can it work in football, I have no idea but I don't see why not.

Can it work in football, I have no idea but I don't see why not.

No doubt it can. Initially it was only applied to batting in baseball... then came pitching... and now fielding. It's a matter of resources accumulating data and crunching the numbers.

No doubt it can. Initially it was only applied to batting in baseball... then came pitching... and now fielding. It's a matter of resources accumulating data and crunching the numbers.

It would seem to be more suited for free agents than the college draft, just because of the variables in college football.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would imagine the dedication personality etc wouldn't be measured on the calculator as easily.

WSS

Maybe Haslam will eventually get this right. I give him credit for trying anyway. I would rather see him constantly trying to make the Browns a competitive team over being complacent. I am sick though that we have another blow up after 2 years and going through 5 head coaches already under his short ownership.

I really thought 2 years ago Farmer and Pettine might be the ones to lead this club out of the cellar. For me the last straw with Ray was the Bowe signing. Terrible. I still think Pettine is a class HC but when your record is 3-18 in the last 21 games I can't fault Haslam for making a change.

Haslam is trying something new this time with the analytics approach and I like the idea we are exploring some new avenues and not just following the same path of just constant changing of head coaches and GM's. One of the criticisms has been the wash and repeat of what has been going on since 99 so I like us exploring other areas to improve and analytics seems to be the cutting edge way to go right now in sports.

As others pointed out my concern is the new management approach. I like the analytics part but not so sure about this new management style.

We did have something of an analytic approach with our qb search a few years ago with a $100,000 study that concluded we should take Bridgewater but we took JM instead.

It would seem to be more suited for free agents than the college draft, just because of the variables in college football.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would imagine the dedication personality etc wouldn't be measured on the calculator as easily.

Agree... more data should lead to better evaluations of play, but I think finding middling FA's that thrive in certain roles/situations may be the approach's greatest strength.

Measuring personal characteristics is always going to be more subjective, but systematic testing and interviewing can yield crunchable data that ends up being useful.

Archived