THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to interview Patriots DC Matt Patricia

WalterWhite

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read an article that said because Haslam chose lawyer Sashi Brown who has final say on the 53 man roster, there will be executives who refuse to let their employees interview for the Browns. An unnamed Exec told NFL.com he's already going to bar his employee from speaking with the Browns. What does this mean? Why would they stop one of their coaches from interviewing because of Sashi having final approval. I don't get it?

My hangovers would tell me he killed a giraffe & his name is McCown. So done with coordinators as HC's find a true Coach with this mess & our locker room.

Why? Look at his resume.. I'm scratching my head

No head coaching experience to speak of, one stint as DC for the Patriots, he could be a complete failure. But, the more I read about him, the more I'm on board with it. Forewent a career in aeronautical engineering to coach football, and spent the last 10 years or so being steadily promoted by Bill the Hood to the point where he's run their D for the last four years, and aged only 35.

Up and comer, or maybe too much too soon if HC. Difficult to tell.

I'm down with him. He's one of several I'd be happy with. We're going to hire someone many of us will be happy with, and our new process of evaluating players and putting together a roster will be a success. Haslam is a new owner, and he's a guy that wants to get it right. Sure, he's made a multitude of killer mistakes, but he's not used to failing, and I'm sure he hates it. The Browns are going to get it together soon. Laugh all you want, make fun of me all you want, but we're going to get it together soon. I feel it. I know, I know...I'm the optimist that people hate, but I can't stand being a negative jerk. I used to be like that, and I hated it.

The new roster begins pretty much now. We're going to take the best available player at #2, we're going to sign a competent WR, and Orchard and Shelton are going to take big steps forward next year. I'm not saying we're a playoff team in 2016, but I'm saying we're going to move in the right direction for once.

"In 2012, he received the title of defensive coordinator, despite having called plays on defense since the departure of Pees following the 2009 season."

So he has been making the calls since 2009 for the Patriots defense.

I don't know enough about their defensive scheme to have any clue what he would run if he came here.

Patriots kind of run one of those "hybrid" 3-4's, but tailor their defense to suit their opponents. It's one of the reasons that Jabaal Sheard is having a solid season. He's better off as a 4-3 DE, and that's pretty much what they use him as.

From what I read, O'Neil didn't want to change his defense to fit the opponents. He wanted to be like Seattle, who runs pretty much the same defense every week, and for most of the snaps. O'Neil wanted the opposition to adjust to HIM, instead of the other way around. Not sure how true that is, but I know several of the players were frustrated by the lack of flexibility O'Neil provided.

"In 2012, he received the title of defensive coordinator, despite having called plays on defense since the departure of Pees following the 2009 season."

I don't know enough about their defensive scheme to have any clue what he would run if he came here.

Vince Wilfork -> Danny Shelton?

I remember the last time we hired a Patriots defensive coordinator.

They had a top 10 defense then too.

Hmm, if only I could remember what his name was. Oh yea that's right, Romeo Crennel.

Now DC for a playoff team...featuring JJ Watt, but that's besides the point. Oh, and also Vince Wolfork, in 'small world news'

They always seem to make chicken salad out of chicken shit on defense there in NE. Some might say "Well, former DC BB is in charge and that is why". But it can't be as simple as that.

But it can't be as simple as that.

You sure about that? I'm not.

They always seem to make chicken salad out of chicken shit on defense there in NE. Some might say "Well, former DC BB is in charge and that is why". But it can't be as simple as that.

From the outside, it really looks as simple as finding schemes that put players with talent in position to succeed. Every player in the NFL is talented in some way - yes, even Justin Gilbert - but if you ask them to do things they're not good at they'll fail. If you ask them to play to their strengths and find ways to disguise that, they'll do well.

Like how Sheard went from 2 sacks a year ago here, to 8 in NE. Like how Dion Lewis went from 'that guy who looks decent in preseason' to 'best pass catching back in the league' in NE. And how 'generic skill play 173' became a superstar there.

I remember the last time we hired a Patriots defensive coordinator.

They had a top 10 defense then too.

Hmm, if only I could remember what his name was. Oh yea that's right, Romeo Crennel.

And for a couple of years that worked out....until K2 hit a tree and Braylon brain hit a tree...and Derek Anderson couldn't hit a tree right in front of him.

The sooner the Patriots get beaten the sooner he can be interviewed, but there will be others. What about Hue Jackson from the Bungals? Learnt a lot from the Raiders experience, done very well at Cincy and know the AFC North intimately.

The sooner the Patriots get beaten the sooner he can be interviewed, but there will be others. What about Hue Jackson from the Bungals? Learnt a lot from the Raiders experience, done very well at Cincy and know the AFC North intimately.

I understand that since the Pats have a bye week that Patrick can interview...this week....but that would have to stop next week when his team has a game. Apply the same to Jackson.

Archived