THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns hire Jonah Hill....err Paul DePodesta as CSO

bbedward

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing about football versus baseball is that there isn't nearly as many of these "advanced metrics"

The patriots may be an example of a team that uses some of these advanced metrics to select their players - but they also have Tom Brady.

Maybe they'll make a moneyball 2 in 10 years about the Browns after we win 5 super bowls and revolutionize the game....one can dream.

Well, it's pretty apparent the Browns are getting ahead of the game with this move. It's the wave of the future in football and on paper it looks like a good move. Could be a perfect fit for Chip Kelly, the college king of analytics.

I have no issue with bringing in analytics... it's the reporting relationship that is troubling.

I have learned Paul DePodesta leaving #Mets to run the NFL Cleveland Browns as executive VP, answerable only to team owner/pres. — Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) January 5, 2016

If this turns out to be true, then I'll wait for Gip to polish this org chart turd...

Despite my drunken rant sunday night before I had done any research on "Sashi" ...

So far I am feeling better every day.

I like what I have read about Brown, and I think this guy here is smart hire.

Another harvard guy ... JImmy is going to get as many smart guys he can get and hand it over to them.

May or may not work, but S. Brown seems to have respect around the league, so it is already feeling like the sun is peeking out as the Ray Farmer dark clouds roll away.

Zombo

My Engineering dad once told me that when hand held calculators came out, he dumped his slide rule and made the younger engineers teach him all the intricacies of what they could do and then applied it to his job. When the first PC's came out he dumped his hand held calculator and bought himself an Apple and again (in his early 60's) had his newest, youngest engineers teach him how they worked and what they could do. He retired after a very successful career with Mobil Oil.

Anything new could not hurt to try on an organization that has operated in chaos so many years. I like it.

The thing about football versus baseball is that there isn't nearly as many of these "advanced metrics"

The patriots may be an example of a team that uses some of these advanced metrics to select their players - but they also have Tom Brady.

Maybe they'll make a moneyball 2 in 10 years about the Browns after we win 5 super bowls and revolutionize the game....one can dream.

I think this is a cool move...and it will remain to be seen if it is successful.

But...if the Pats are a team that has been using it......it may be a sign pointing to Patricia as our man at HC.

Fair to say?

I think this is a cool move...and it will remain to be seen if it is successful.

But...if the Pats are a team that has been using it......it may be a sign pointing to Patricia as our man at HC.

Fair to say?

Sasha is a really smart guy...DePodesta is a really smart guy...

I like the moves, I just think they're interesting.

Of all the names I've heard I'm rooting for Patricia...who is also a really smart guy.

Things actually sound pretty good to me right now, but all of that may change by week 2 of course.

Now that we are getting in all of these analytics gents, I am waiting to see when they bring in football folks.

The coach......even if it is former aeronautical engineer (right?) Patricia, will be a football guy.

Are we now discounting that Eliot Wolf will want to come here as the DOPP? Will he want to be "The Man"...and since apparently Sashi Brown will be the man.....do you think he would opt out of consideration?

The coach......even if it is former aeronautical engineer (right?) Patricia, will be a football guy.

Are we now discounting that Eliot Wolf will want to come here as the DOPP? Will he want to be "The Man"...and since apparently Sashi Brown will be the man.....do you think he would opt out of consideration?

I don't think it will help having multiple layers of yes men to get through before a GM can make decisions. You will be hard pressed to find someone who wants to join that type of situation.

I don't think it will help having multiple layers of yes men to get through before a GM can make decisions. You will be hard pressed to find someone who wants to join that type of situation.

Unless they all view it as like one of these Silicon Valley, high tech firms......where it is all about the collaberation.

So far the Browns are getting some of the smartest cats in the room.....at least they think they are. Those cats like to purr with other like minded cats.

So, you still never know.

It took three witches to boil the cauldron at the beginning of MacBeth. You never know what three great minds might brew up.

This is a guy primarily known for baseball analytics.

My thoughts on it is Jimmy's basically trying to build a good team without spending lots of money on an analytical approach instead of the usual one

I see it as trying to spend the right amount of money on the right players. They have a very good cap situation and are going to be doing some spending, so this makes sense.

Now that we are getting in all of these analytics gents, I am waiting to see when they bring in football folks.

true dat.

for all the knowledge these nerds might have it'd still help if they have some knowledge of what actually goes on on the field. you could be the best football coach in the world but if you can't get the higher ups to get you what you need to succeed on the field, all the number crunching and twisting means jack shit.

Jimmy is about as corporate as it gets......and Id say he's trying to build what most would call a consensus decision making team...

Kinda trendy, if you ask me .....maybe it'll work.....and maybe not.....

It's good in that you wont have any knee jerk decisions and, if implemented correctly, wont leave any opinions on the floor....

BUT.....just remember.....compromise & agreement in everything breeds mediocrity.....And in consensus groups, vanilla often ends up being the only flavor....

All depends on those who are working the system.....but Im gonna be skeptical that it will apply well to choosing football players....

Ill add that if Jimmy is in any way a part of the group...being owner and the boss.... he will pollute the integrity of the system and prevent true consensus from occurring.....(can he let them do their thing....alone????)

Archived