THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns hire Jonah Hill....err Paul DePodesta as CSO

bbedward

Thanks, Flugs...

Just struck me that in lieu of a staff, DePodesta may just buy data and crunch it through models he has or will develop. I assume there is football data for sale. I know businesses were started to generate baseball data once defensive and pitching data system were developed.

I think people are getting too caught up in Moneyball and think it's going to apply here. It won't. Not in the way that it did in Oakland, or New York, or anywhere in the MLB for that matter.

Will analytics guide our signings more? Sure - but they should have already. If they don't, you end up with guys like Dwayne Bowe and Davonne Bess.

I don't foresee us trying to buck the system and take the plucky guy from East Central Texas State in the first round because he has a 92% on target + completion percentage at home in winds above 20 mph, but I do see us taking guys 1) that are relatively unknowns in the middle to late rounds and 2) ahead of where they were projected in the earlier rounds.

Odell Beckham Jr. was seen by many as the third, possibly fourth best WR in 2014 and was projected as a middle first pick (where he went) - but I don't think anybody would be opposed to taking him at #4 if we had the chance. I think we'll see more of that. Instead of trading back and trying to bargain basement our way in with guys that are falling, we're going to look at the league and see how teams have flipped it around and compare that with "contribution percentages" (for lack of a better term) for each position - i.e. which positions immediately contribute to teams in similar situations as us.

All in all, I think we're just going to look at things a little more granular. Comparing league wide draft data doesn't fit for us, because we're not in the same situation. Instead, I think we'll look at teams with new head coaches, possibly new front offices, with chronic losing seasons who were able to turn it around in a matter of one-two years and maintain some semblance of success.

Moneyball is an unavoidable focus because it made the A's the most public example of analytics. I don't think we know where analytics have gone in MLB since Moneyball, what they've entailed in the NFL to date or how far they will ultimately reach. Terry Pluto just mentioned player health and conditioning as an area... it had not crossed my mind.

I think you are saying that the Browns' emphasis will exceed it's practice or impact early on... in other words the change will be gradual and continuous. That certainly would be my view... and that is a positive approach.

One facet that I imagine will come in time is analytically projecting when a player will go in the draft. That will help properly place your "plucky guy from East Central Texas State" example.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Flugs...

Just struck me that in lieu of a staff, DePodesta may just buy data and crunch it through models he has or will develop. I assume there is football data for sale. I know businesses were started to generate baseball data once defensive and pitching data system were developed.

Moneyball is an unavoidable focus because it made the A's the most public example of analytics. I don't think we know where analytics have gone in MLB since Moneyball, what they've entailed in the NFL to date or how far they will ultimately reach. Terry Pluto just mentioned player health and conditioning as an area... it had not crossed my mind.

I think you are saying that the Browns' emphasis will exceed it's practice or impact early on... in other words the change will be gradual and continuous. That certainly would be my view... and that is a positive approach.

One facet that I imagine will come in time is analytically projecting when a player will go in the draft. That will help properly place your "plucky guy from East Central Texas State" example.

I have been working on that algorithm for two years, good luck to them. Granted, I only dabble in analytics.

I have heard the amount of teams that outsource data mining is in the 20s and rising.

That just means companies like PFF and others do the menial work of collecting the information by watching and charting every snap (it is tedious, I do it and can't keep up with just every Browns game), and then like Tour said, the analytics and modeler bros run it through their software and create usable intelligence.

Archived