THE BROWNS BOARD

Vernon Hargreaves III

secondwave

He's a good player....Id consider him if Bosa is gone and Jaylon isnt upto snuff.....always love me some great DB's.....Next best defensive player there and maybe the only other obvious impact player on the D side rated that high....

another DB with the 1st pick? like really? when our front 7 is the worst in football? LB'er or DL (Bosa) with the 1st pick. Let's get young on the front 7 and try to build something. God if we could get Mario Williams and draft Bosa....jesus.

I think there is decent talent on this front 7. Young perhaps....but if it were well coached it could be very good. It wasn't well coached.

You have the young guys: Shelton/Orchard/Bryant/ Cooper/Kirksey. Then the vets: Des Bryant, Kruger, Robertson, Dansby, Mingo.

Need help? Sure. A Bosa would be great. But they are not the worst.

He's a solid player, and plays a vital position. History tells us that CB's aren't generally taken at #2, but I think that trend will begin to change as the NFL is known as a passing league, and a strong corner goes a long way to shutting that down. It just goes to show you how much that Gilbert pick completely screwed us. If Gilbert is a solid starter, or even a stud, how happy are you to have him and Haden? Now, we have a severely concussed Haden, a joke in Gilbert, and a ton of uncertainty in the secondary. Hargraves makes a ton of sense, but I'm not sure I like him better than Jalen Ramsey.

I think there is decent talent on this front 7. Young perhaps....but if it were well coached it could be very good. It wasn't well coached.

You have the young guys: Shelton/Orchard/Bryant/ Cooper/Kirksey. Then the vets: Des Bryant, Kruger, Robertson, Dansby, Mingo.

Need help? Sure. A Bosa would be great. But they are not the worst.

Shelton and Orchard are the only "sure" keepers on your list. If I were a betting man i'd say most of the other guys you listed will either be gone on their own accord or fire saled. The Bryants are the only two guys other than Shelton and Orchard that I think should stay. But Armonty might be gone cause of his legal issues I dunno. I'd like to keep Robertson too but we'll see. I think he made a strong case last sunday to be on the team. Most of these guys need to go though, I can't believe you want to see Mingo or Kruger on the team next year.

Not begun to study DBs yet, but in live games I caught only 2 CBs really jumped out at me...

The first is a Junior who is returning to school, Iowa's Desmond King.

The second is UH's Senior, William Jackson III.

Joe Haden 2.0? So he will spend his career overrated by Browns fans, giving up big plays at the worst possible time?

My thoughts exactly

Haden has been overrated his entire career.

There are all kinds of red flags on Hargreaves. I know PFF's All-SEC CBs this year were Devante Harris from A&M and, believe it or not, Hargreaves's teammate manning the opposite side at Florida. IIRC (might be wrong on this), Hargreaves wasn't even on the 2nd team. And these are the guys actually watching the games, not just voting based on reputation. Obviously Hargreaves had the name coming into this year.

Of course, part of the issue with CBs these days is that the art of true CB play is dead. It's no longer about sitting in a zone, reading the QB, and making plays on the ball with your breaks. It's about slobberknocking guys in the first 5 yards and just running with them, then throw a hand up when you see them stick their arms out. With our new coach, you have to ask prior to evaluating any CBs, is that the style we're going to play, or are we going to ask for more zone play from them? If you just want to play bump and run, then take LSU or Bama CBs later in the draft. They've got 8+ corners above 5'11" and 185 lbs on the roster every single year. Not the best athletes but very physical. Justin Gilbert was in this mold, and the talent was there, he just couldn't get his stuff together. You take Cyrus Jones in the 5th or 6th and he upgrades the play of Justin Gilbert both as a CB and as a returner.

So, in short, no to Hargreaves at 2.

another DB with the 1st pick? like really? when our front 7 is the worst in football? LB'er or DL (Bosa) with the 1st pick. Let's get young on the front 7 and try to build something. God if we could get Mario Williams and draft Bosa....jesus.

This year's free agency crop has more talent at the front 7 than they do at cornerback. As much as I like Bosa, I don't think he's going to be as dominant (nor is he as talented) as some of you think he'll be. If you're looking for a JJ Watt clone, you're sadly mistaken.

And yes, I think Haden—to an extent—is overrated by Browns fans, but Hargreaves, imo, is so good he'll be at Haden's level.

Archived