THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Banner on the future of the Cleveland Browns

Tim Couch Pulls Out

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14508520

Banner is a smart guy, I have no doubt we'd have been better off had we kept him in some capacity.

I agree with his commentary for sure. There are very few coaches that will buy into the analytics lock stock and barrel. In order to land any big name they will have to be given equal say in the talent process.

I like how he threw the bit in there they were trying to trade Mingo. what they were trying to get from Mingo was an absolute slap in the face to anyone that knows football.

I follow Banner on Twitter, and that asshole still defends the Mingo pick.

I like that he said he traded Trent Richardson and he thought the Coach was going to kill him!!

Ha, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Banner can be a good listen. Just don't watch him speak or give him a title. That does go to his head like some magic power he has. Getting LOLBardi was Banner's downfall. Banner's response on M&M is a perfect example Of Banner's way is the only way & never open to change in NFL Business.

I like that he said he traded Trent Richardson and he thought the Coach was going to kill him!!

Ha, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

That trade was one of the biggest robberies I can remember.

Although who we took afterwards sucked big, still total screw up for Indy

Banner was a self absorbed ass who believed he knew more about personnel and scouting than anyone. Also keep in mind he hired LOLBardi - his right hand man. Had it not been for Haslam putting a muzzle on him, would have drafted Geno Smith.

His attitude has absolutely nothing to do with his intelligence level.

He was also responsible for the trading of Trent Richardson, which was a masterful move. And the signing of Gary Barnidge. And the signing of Dion Lewis.

The bar isn't that high, but I don't know of another person in the Cleveland organization who's had that much success in the front office since the return.

There's a handful of misses in there as well, but those three moves are better than any four moves any GM/VPOFO has made here in 15 years.

The vitriol on this board for past regimes oftentimes overtakes rational thinking.

He was also responsible for the trading of Trent Richardson, which was a masterful move. And the signing of Gary Barnidge. And the signing of Dion Lewis.

The bar isn't that high, but I don't know of another person in the Cleveland organization who's had that much success in the front office since the return.

There's a handful of misses in there as well, but those three moves are better than any four moves any GM/VPOFO has made here in 15 years.

The vitriol on this board for past regimes oftentimes overtakes rational thinking.

He didn't draft Gordon, Heckert did. And I believe Chud had more to do with Barnidge than Banner since Chud coached Barnidge at Carolina. And Lewis never played a down for us.

He didn't draft Gordon, Heckert did. And I believe Chud had more to do with Barnidge than Banner since Chud coached Barnidge at Carolina. And Lewis never played a down for us.

Yeah I pulled that out. I was mistaken.

If we're going to pick and choose where we attribute failures and successes, then Manziel nor Gilbert should be on Farmer.

Who drafted Weeden And Richardson? There were better choices for both positions. Whoever decided Weeden was better than Osweiler or Cousins was the real idiot. As for Richardson; he looked good in college. The only mistake was taking him so high. But they got a first rounder for him which was so lucky I still can't believe it! Then they turn around and use the pick for Johnny Disguise Myself In Vegas.

Yeah I pulled that out. I was mistaken.

If we're going to pick and choose where we attribute failures and successes, then Manziel nor Gilbert should be on Farmer.

Thats possible, I could see giving a Farmer a pass on those but he has plenty of screw ups outside of those picks.

Who drafted Weeden And Richardson? There were better choices for both positions. Whoever decided Weeden was better than Osweiler or Cousins was the real idiot. As for Richardson; he looked good in college. The only mistake was taking him so high. But they got a first rounder for him which was so lucky I still can't believe it! Then they turn around and use the pick for Johnny Disguise Myself In Vegas.

I believe that was Heckert/Holmgren.

Weeden was a huge reach (Duh!). But Richardson was considered by many "experts" to be the most NFL ready back in the draft that year. Its rare that so many people who do nothing but study film of college football players were so wrong about one player but it has happend and we just happened to be the team that took one of them. At least we got a first round pick out of it......and then pissed it away on Johnny shitshow.

Interesting given most Browns fans can't really attribute that same logic towards Farmer who has brought in some successful draft picks, free agents and UDFA's.

Also his attitude has a lot to do with it because it took nothing short of a miracle to 'not' draft Geno Smith. Though obviously Mingo hasn't been really any success to speak of himself.

Interesting given most Browns fans can't really attribute that same logic towards Farmer who has brought in some successful draft picks, free agents and UDFA's.

Also his attitude has a lot to do with it because it took nothing short of a miracle to 'not' draft Geno Smith. Though obviously Mingo hasn't been really any success to speak of himself.

I'm not one of the most, in that case. I think what Farmer did in late rounds and with UDFA's was great, and should have made a case for him to stay.

Banner was a self absorbed ass who believed he knew more about personnel and scouting than anyone. Also keep in mind he hired LOLBardi - his right hand man. Had it not been for Haslam putting a muzzle on him, would have drafted Geno Smith.

eh didn't shitslam hire banner who then hired dumbardi....again, its the fucking moronic owner that has fucked this shit up beyond belief....he's the clueless jackass...

I'm not one of the most, in that case. I think what Farmer did in late rounds and with UDFA's was great, and should have made a case for him to stay.

I'm a bit of a Farmer defender, but he didn't have any good UDFA steals in this class, did he? My recollection is they were all in 2014 but I might be forgetting someone.

I'm a bit of a Farmer defender, but he didn't have any good UDFA steals in this class, did he? My recollection is they were all in 2014 but I might be forgetting someone.

Not really. Darius Jennings came on a little later in the season, but he probably won't make the roster next year.

We did get Ikre-ekeke-olomu alu or whatever his name is in the 7th round last year. I'll be curious to see what he contributes. He's the guy who had a shredded up knee and fell from a top projected CB to the 7th round. Hopefully he has recovered well.

But our main 2014 guys were K'waun Williams and Taylor Gabriel. K'waun is setup to be a good slot corner - but has had injury problems, multiple concussion problems. So that's not looking too good. Gabriel was pretty down this year - he's just a rotational guy #4/#5 at best maybe.

So really I don't think we have any UDFA steals. K'waun may turn into one, but that's yet to be seen.

Banner was a narcissistic douche who actually thought he couldn't do anything wrong.. but nearly every single thing that guy did was the wrong move, both for the Browns and the Eagles.

Farmer accomplished zero. His drafts were terrible from beginning to end. Yes, he found K'Waun.. and that meets Farmer's job expectation, it's not an "outperforming" item that earns him extra time.

Not that I can recall. It was really just that first year.

Banner was a narcissistic douche who actually thought he couldn't do anything wrong.. but nearly every single thing that guy did was the wrong move, both for the Browns and the Eagles.

Farmer accomplished zero. His drafts were terrible from beginning to end. Yes, he found K'Waun.. and that meets Farmer's job expectation, it's not an "outperforming" item that earns him extra time.

I'd love to see a breakdown of each of Banner's moves and your opinion on why they were wrong, if that's the case.

Right....cant really call Gabe a steal, considering his performance this season.....

Id agree that KWaun was a great find and, maybe, we can add Crowell to that.....as he also was a UDFA....

So, for 2014....now that some time has passed....we only have Crow & Kwaun(ok udfa's)...and picks Bito & Kirksey...(also ok so far)

Gotta call Manziel, Gilbert and West complete busts(at least thats my view).....and Desir is just kind of doing so so.....

So....that draft = 6 guys = 3 complete busts = 2 ok players(with Bito having some positive upside) and a project

This year(2015)....no udfa's or late round picks contributing, that I can think of.....maybe I. Campbell, who looked pretty good in a very limited role.....but thats it....

Every other player tapped later than Rnd 3 is gone, injured or on the bench.....and, out of the 12 players picked, only 3 contributed anything significant or showed what Id consider to be real promise.....Orchard, Duke and Shelton....(plus Campbell)...

The rest?.....injured, gone or just... "meh"....

My final tally for 2 years = 18 draft picks....

• 5 average starter quality players (Bito, Shelton, Kirksey, Orchard & Duke)
  • 3 back up or developmental quality players (Campbell, Eving, Cooper)
  • 2 injured unknowns (Telfer, Ekpre)
  • 3 Lower level role players (Desir, Gaines, M. Johnson)
  • 5 Complete busts (Manziel, Gilbert, Mayle, West, Pullard)

Percentage wise....Id say Farmer did ok and about the same as most GM's do...BUT, the fact that he missed so many high picks and didnt score even one above instantly average player....I say blah....

Mud - Farmer actually had 22 picks over the last 2 years.

Without looking, I believe he used those to trade up in the draft.

Right...and my memory has us trading up for West, Manziel and Gilbert.....so add those picks to the bust file....

I would not call Pullard a bust, but I would call it a mistake to place him on the PS where he was lifted and now starting on another team.

Hes a bust for the Browns, simply because he hasnt and never will contribute to the team....and he's gone because of moves and decisions made by the GM....

Just semantics to discuss how good he'll be for others....

Archived