THE BROWNS BOARD

In the second round, the Cleveland Browns select...

jiggins7919

if we draft a QB with the 2nd pick he starts day one.

no more let's see what happens when guys have a year or two to try and develop them. bortles, mariota, winston, luck........put that fucker in. hopefully he has a better line than tim couch had.

I agree...unless he's a dipshit and holds out during camp...but I think the new rookie pay scale and all that kindof prevents that from happening.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No no no, you draft QBs with the 1st-5th pick when they can contribute day 1. No more top 5 projects, for this team anyway. At pick 15 sure, at pick 2 hell no.

Goff at #2 is the pick. He broke all Lucks and Mariota Pac 12 records along with all Aaron Rodgers cal records. Plus he fits the mold. Open competition with mccown. If it's remotely close you go with the future plain and simple.

Goff at #2 is the pick. He broke all Lucks and Mariota Pac 12 records along with all Aaron Rodgers cal records. Plus he fits the mold. Open competition with mccown. If it's remotely close you go with the future plain and simple.

Exactly. And if you watch him you see how effortless he looks moving in the pocket, throwing in the face of defenders, and all the other good stuff.

He'd go #1 overall if the Titans needed a QB

I hope you don't stand by that statement.

But what kind of team will be left around him?

No shit. McCown played beyond my expectations by far this year, yet only 1 win when he started. We have no defensive depth anywhere and no weapons on offense for a QB to succeed besides Gordon if he's sober. Sounds like the same song and dance to me. Goff was inconsistent all year and even McShay says he should stay in school because he's NOT ready for the NFL. But we're going to take him at #2. Okay.

Oh yes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us draft a QB in the first and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let him ride the bench for 2 years and then maybe give him 5 games to learn the offense under 2 different coaches with 2 different OC and then wonder why it wont work.

If they guy you are referring to wasnt stoned and / or drunk continually he may have played more too.

If we go Goff, Calhoun is probably the guy I'd want in the second, as well.

Told you someone would pop...

I know what he said......what I'm saying is if he is not around the same level as Luck, which he is not, then he is a reach a #2. There are guys at the top of this draft that are completely pro ready, opposed to as pro ready as anyone at said position since so and so.

Forget Luck... if the likes of Luck and P. Manning are your measuring stick there would be about one QB taken #1 or #2 overall every 10 years or so.

The question to ask is: Is Goff as good as Jameis or Marcus?

If the answer is yes, and looks more and more to me that is the right answer, then you pick Goff and don't look back. No guarantees, but pretty good odds.

Told you someone would pop...

Forget Luck... if the likes of Luck and P. Manning are your measuring stick there would be about one QB taken #1 or #2 overall every 10 years or so.

The question to ask is: Is Goff as good as Jameis or Marcus?

If the answer is yes, and looks more and more to me that is the right answer, then you pick Goff and don't look back. No guarantees, but pretty good odds.

Not so much of a pop as he's just likely the best that might be available.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not overall impressed with the defensive depth so far. There are some guys at the top I like, but I haven't seen much from the mid-1st on that has been overly impressive.

OK... not a pop... But at least a name to balance the equation.

As for depth... still early. Still a lot of underclassmen weighing their options.

Some new names will likely surface for late Day 1 and early Day 2, but in some drafts they don't. In some drafts the term "value pick" comes out earlier than others. Personally I think DBs are going to supply a few, but may be more OL and WR, which would not be any surprise.

The scarcity of high value LBs is most distressing, but who knows what D our new HC will favor?

I hope you don't stand by that statement.

he holds his team record in passing yards per game touchdowns in a game passing touchdowns in a season total offense in a season and he also holds the pac-12 record in passing yards in a season and passing touchdowns in a season. why exactly would I not stand behind those stats?

he holds his team record in passing yards per game touchdowns in a game passing touchdowns in a season total offense in a season and he also holds the pac-12 record in passing yards in a season and passing touchdowns in a season. why exactly would I not stand behind those stats?

And all this while having a sub standard oline to boot

I stand by my previous comment.

The Jags followed a popular formula. You take the QB you like the best, no matter where, and no matter if people feel it's "too early." You let him play a season or two, and you don't bench him. You draft talent around him, especially at WIDE RECEIVER. You continue playing him. It's what the Raiders did, the Bucs, the Titans, and the Vikings. Next up for the Jags, upgrading the OL and hiring a better DC. After that, watch out. They play in a weak division, and may be close. Remember being "close"?! Yeah, me either.

The Jags followed a popular formula. You take the QB you like the best, no matter where, and no matter if people feel it's "too early." You let him play a season or two, and you don't bench him. You draft talent around him, especially at WIDE RECEIVER. You continue playing him. It's what the Raiders did, the Bucs, the Titans, and the Vikings. Next up for the Jags, upgrading the OL and hiring a better DC. After that, watch out. They play in a weak division, and may be close. Remember being "close"?! Yeah, me either.

Its a fair point. He still makes some horrendous mistakes but he also shows signs of being for real. As for being close.....define close??

They also stuck with Gus Bradley and his 12 wins in 3 seasons....allowing him to upgrade the staff(including new coordinators) and the talent(which was low).....rather than just starting over......

So they worked through the problems and made adjustments instead of just throwing in the towel.....

They also stuck with Gus Bradley and his 12 wins in 3 seasons....allowing him to upgrade the staff(including new coordinators) and the talent(which was low).....rather than just starting over......

So they worked through the problems and made adjustments instead of just throwing in the towel.....

The difference is that Gus Bradley isn't a shitty coach like Mike Pettine was.

Was hoping to bump this thread back to the front now that we have our coach (and the guy we wanted...crazy).

I don't remember where Hue Jackson was when Andy Dalton was drafted in the second round, but it's worth mentioning that Dalton was a second rounder, and he has evolved into a very capable QB (not getting into the "elite" conversation). Now, it's obvious that Dalton not only had weapons, but a defense that could get him the ball back, but it's worth noting because we have basically a second first round pick this year. The name I've seen a few times is this guy Carson Wentz. Small school guy, but impressive physical abilities. Wentz could very easily shoot up the board with a good pro day and combine results, but as we stand today, it appears that Wentz could be there for us.

Bosa, and then Wentz? Uh....ok. Or maybe trade down a FEW picks, and get Laquon Treadwell and then Wentz? For some reason, I think we nail this draft. (stop laughing). Problem is, we are desperate for defense, so picking a WR early might not be the best thing for us. Of course, if we get a certain WR back...

Ironic isn't it that Pettine had to take a chance on two people who flaked out on him. And now we still have both those flakes on the team. Does HJ have to take a chance on at least one of them when all is said and done coming into this draft? Or will the Dyanetics twins bail him out by taking a QB and WR with the first two choices?

A lot depends on Josh Gordon.

Yes

If he's fully back, engaged, off the ridiculous amount of things the NFL bans,

Not sure what the odds are, hoping for 50/50?

we don't need a WR. Him and Benjamin outside could be huge, with Barnidge at TE.

Disagree that we don't need a WR, but with Gordon it becomes a much lower priority. We definitely need a decent #2 to put in that group. 2013 Gordon, 2015 Barnidge, and 2015 Benjamin has out WR situation not looking so bad. Having Gordon+#2 receive+Barnidge really opens up a lot more for Benjamin - and really our entire offense in general.

Our situation is not as bad as everybody is making it seem, if you're looking at it from an optimistic standpoint we may have 4 pro-bowl potential lineman on the team - Thomas, Bitonio, Mack, and Schwartz. I said potential, but that's a very good group - even losing Mack we still have a better group than most in the league.

2013 Gordon was the best receiver in the NFL - 2015 Barnidge was a top 5 receiving TE in the NFL, and Benjamin is just a speedy big-play threat. Also Johnson, who has shown quite the competence as a receiving back.

From the optimistic view point, we won't be throwing a rookie QB into the wolves - we're throwing him behind one of the best OL units in football, and possibly an excellent receiving core.

We might just have a pretty fun offense that scores a lot of points in 2016, might

Yes

Not sure what the odds are, hoping for 50/50?

Disagree that we don't need a WR, but with Gordon it becomes a much lower priority. We definitely need a decent #2 to put in that group. 2013 Gordon, 2015 Barnidge, and 2015 Benjamin has out WR situation not looking so bad. Having Gordon+#2 receive+Barnidge really opens up a lot more for Benjamin - and really our entire offense in general.

Our situation is not as bad as everybody is making it seem, if you're looking at it from an optimistic standpoint we may have 4 pro-bowl potential lineman on the team - Thomas, Bitonio, Mack, and Schwartz. I said potential, but that's a very good group - even losing Mack we still have a better group than most in the league.

2013 Gordon was the best receiver in the NFL - 2015 Barnidge was a top 5 receiving TE in the NFL, and Benjamin is just a speedy big-play threat. Also Johnson, who has shown quite the competence as a receiving back.

From the optimistic view point, we won't be throwing a rookie QB into the wolves - we're throwing him behind one of the best OL units in football, and possibly an excellent receiving core.

We might just have a pretty fun offense that scores a lot of points in 2016, might

Travis Benjamin would need to be resigned, does he want to stick around?

There's no dominant receiver to be had in free agency this year, but some very solid options for a #2. Alshon Jeffery, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Kearse and so on

I think the biggest beneficiary of Hue Jackson will be Travis Benjamin. See the way he utilised reverses and other trick plays in Cinci, Benjamin is surely the go to guy for that.

Another thing to consider, They used Sanu on a lot of tricks where Dalton threw a lateral pass to him, and he's then throw a TD across the field or some such. Terrelle Pryor might be in line for that role.

Archived