THE BROWNS BOARD

In the second round, the Cleveland Browns select...

jiggins7919

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK which one of you guys pissed him off? He does not like his 2nd round grade and is determined to use the combine to get into the first round by outworking everybody every day from now thru the draft.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/derrick-henry-is-angry-he-got-a-second-round-nfl-draft-grade

OK which one of you guys pissed him off? He does not like his 2nd round grade and is determined to use the combine to get into the first round by outworking everybody every day from now thru the draft.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/derrick-henry-is-angry-he-got-a-second-round-nfl-draft-grade

I hope somebody does take him in the first round. That's a stupid move that we used to make, it would be good to see someone else do it.

if we draft a QB with the 2nd pick he starts day one.

no more let's see what happens when guys have a year or two to try and develop them. bortles, mariota, winston, luck........put that fucker in. hopefully he has a better line than tim couch had.

Totally disagree.

I saw a piece on ESPN several years ago where they interviewed a lot of the top QBs that were drafted and started on day 1.

TO A MAN, they all said they were clueless and didn't know WTF they were doing until around week 10. Didn't matter what talent level, either. Physically or intellectually. They ALL stated that they weren't ready for the pro game.

The problem with most teams today is that they play the #1 QB the entire game - whether you're up by 20 or down by 20, or even if he's having a bad day. That's the time to get the younger guy in there and get some snaps and a feel for the pro game. Coaches/teams used to do this in the past, but don't anymore. This is the right way to develop a QB. Always has been. Always will be.

If they mistakenly draft a QB with their first pick, then I am in favor of keeping Manziel and throwing him to the wolves until the new guy is ready.

So, unless Goff is the rare LeBron James of QBs, then you DON'T start him day 1.

Coverage sack......think about that for a second.

Bingo! Plus I also thought a lot of it had more to do with the crazy scheme than it did with the talent. Miscommunication was happening so often it was leaving people free to zip right through. Even so look how long Josh held the ball before the sack on the plays where the OL got it right. Nobody open and midgets to throw to.

A lot depends on Josh Gordon. If he's fully back, engaged, off the ridiculous amount of things the NFL bans, we don't need a WR. Him and Benjamin outside could be huge, with Barnidge at TE.

Hue Jackson comes from the Marty Schottenheimer coaching tree.

And when you think of guys from that tree ... Cowher, Herm Edwards, Dungy, Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin ... they all were "Players Coaches", not because they were soft on players ... but because the players respected them. Kind of in a fatherly way. Leading by example. Not detached.

I'm thinking Hue Jackson can be Josh Gordon's daddy. Get him to straighten out and play hard for him.

And Hue loves pocket passers throwing vertical ... think of how well Josh did under Norv Turner.

I'm thinking Josh has a chance to be a star again, and may not blow it this time.

Zombo

Hue Jackson comes from the Marty Schottenheimer coaching tree.

And when you think of guys from that tree ... Cowher, Herm Edwards, Dungy, Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin ... they all were "Players Coaches", not because they were soft on players ... but because the players respected them. Kind of in a fatherly way. Leading by example. Not detached.

I'm thinking Hue Jackson can be Josh Gordon's daddy. Get him to straighten out and play hard for him.

And Hue loves pocket passers throwing vertical ... think of how well Josh did under Norv Turner.

I'm thinking Josh has a chance to be a star again, and may not blow it this time.

Zombo

Now that is funny . JG has had more chances and lied about his use more than JM, but just he can be turned around by Hue being his daddy?

Think about that and let it sink in. Who has betrayed the team by not even being available the better part of two years? Sure you can say both but then they should get equal treatment.

Now that is funny . JG has had more chances and lied about his use more than JM, but just he can be turned around by Hue being his daddy?

Think about that and let it sink in. Who has betrayed the team by not even being available the better part of two years? Sure you can say both but then they should get equal treatment.

You are comparing a wide receiver who has sat out for a year, and his chances for a comeback versus a QB that according to all reports is not wanted by the new coach. And I believe that has more to do with playing style and what we have seen from him on the field ... he's not a Hue guy.

Johnny will get a second chance, it just won't be here, Bud.

Zombo

You are comparing a wide receiver who has sat out for a year, and his chances for a comeback versus a QB that according to all reports is not wanted by the new coach. And I believe that has more to do with playing style and what we have seen from him on the field ... he's not a Hue guy.

Johnny will get a second chance, it just won't be here, Bud.

Zombo

I'm just a bit surprised you support that given both have done the same thing to their teammates, just in different ways. The end results were almost identical. So why aren't you all over HJ for making the same mistake of trusting an untrustable player who has screwed the team multiple times?

I'm just a bit surprised you support that given both have done the same thing to their teammates, just in different ways. The end results were almost identical. So why aren't you all over HJ for making the same mistake of trusting an untrustable player who has screwed the team multiple times?

1. Why would I be all over HJ, he hasn't said anything about JG

2. I was all over JG in 2014 for being an awful teammate, and raised concerns before that as well, you just weren't here because the Midget Messiah hadn't arrived yet.

3. I am speculating that JG's chances of straightening up and saving his career are better with a guy like Hue Jack.

4. Hue Jack doesn't want Johnny. Therefore he's not worth discussing anymore other than the dead-horse-beaten "Can we get a 5th round pick from Dallas" riveting convo

5. Not every thread needs to be about Johnny. Really.

Zombo

First, the "different ways" are night and day different.

Second, Josh has shown that he can be a #1 at his position in the Pros.

Josh Doctson, WR from TCU.

At 6'3 and 195, he provides the kind of size our WR corp is sorely lacking. While not explosive, he has the ability to go up and get the ball, make contested grabs, and rarely drops anything. This is the kind of player we need on offense, and his skill set is a bit different from our other guys. He's a second round talent, so he's not a homerun type of specimen, but he could easily contribute immediately on offense, as well as help us in the red zone. Our Browns don't score touchdowns, that's the bottom line. We can move the ball, but we forever stall either in the red zone, or right before it. Countless touchdowns are scored every week in the NFL by targeting one-on-one coverage, and tossing a high pass. Other than Gary, we don't have the guy that can routinely make this catch. You don't win in the NFL by kicking FG's, and while we have an accurate kicker, he has his obvious drawbacks. His trajectory is woefully low, and coaches don't trust him from distance for this reason.

Doctson is a guy who had a ton of receptions, both as a junior, and an even more impressive season as a senior. In 2015 he had 79 receptions and 14 TD's, and in 2014 he had 11 TD's. As a second round talent, he has some areas to work on, mostly adding muscle and attempting to gain more explosiveness. I don't think we can take a WR at #2, although I feel like Laquon Treadwell is a hell of a talent. We'll go Bosa if he's available at #2, or possibly Hargraves, Ramsey, or Goff.

We obviously have to address the QB position in 2016, and I don't know how we're going to do that. Quality free agent QB's are virtually nonexistent, so we'll either have to trade a draft pick for someone (practically impossible), or take someone with the #2 pick. The Johnny bust completely kills us, and I'm not sure what we're going to do. Can we really go into the season with McCown, Davis, and Shaw? I guess we could, but is that the best path? Can we take someone in the 3rd round? Do we take a flyer on a Kaepernick, RG III, or some other wash out? Does a team like the Lions or Saint want to start completely over, and be willing to move Stafford or Brees?

Too many questions at QB, and this thread is about the second round selection. I want a WR that can move the sticks and make tough catches. A guy with reliable hands that scores these magical things called TOUCHDOWNS. A player with good size that compliments our smaller waterbugs. I want Josh Doctson.

http://www.todayspigskin.com/nfl-draft/josh-doctson-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Check out the above link. It provides a good analysis on both his strengths and weaknesses. Who do you guys want to see in the second round? Do you think WR is as important to upgrade as I do? What other names are you looking at?

Happy New Year boys, I'm actually excited. We're doing things differently, forging a new path. What we're doing takes balls, courage, and vision. Nobody knows if what we're doing will work, but we also don't know if it won't. I'm maintaining my optimism because I hate being the Negative Nancy of the bunch. Let's right this ship and actually have something to be proud of.

Great idea! I'm glad our HC will have a refreshing view point of how important the WR position is to a passing era (ie: Larry Fitzgerald in overtime anyone?)

Hopefully Josh Gordon wants more out of life and career than hitting the snooze button. When he came back in 2014 not caring enough to know the playbook or give it his all after promising we'd see the very best of him - shame on me for thinking this guy is ever going to get it. He's costing himself millions of $. Since we still own his Tex-ass, why not package him and Johnny Blutarsky up for a deal with the God complex of Jerry Jones while it's obvious neither guy is ever going to prioritize football?

Canton Mike had indicated Cincy's Mo Sanu is going to be a FA this year. He's already played in Hue's offense so that's a HUE j-plus. Unlike Hawkins this guy actually found the end zone 5 times in 2014 working out of the slot in a frame of 6'2" @ 210 lbs. In 2015, the 6-6 Tyler Eifert dominated a lot of Dalton's red zone attention hen it was time to consider alternatives to AJ Green; but Hue found other ways to tap Sanu's talent like using him at QB for a couple rushing TDs and/or key pass completions. I know Hawkins and Benjamin work hard but they don't help us put points on the board at all - especially in the red zone. If you're a QB that has to throw a slant pass over an NFL defensive line would you rather throw down to a guy the size of a horse jockey or at a 6"2" target? He's way easier for a QB to keep sight of him than Hawkins or Gabriel. It's time for at least one of those guys to go while it's urgent we get Travis Benjamin re-signed.

Since we're probably going to keep Gordon (despite my idea) because he doesn't cost very much - this is what we could be looking at with some of the ideas presented here:

Gordon, Benjamin, Sanu, Doctson, Pryor, Hartline

Marlon Moore usually makes the team via his STs value.

Archived