THE BROWNS BOARD

looking like were out on 2

beare

Never Forget: At Least 6 Candidates Said No To Coaching Division-Leading Browns

It's also worth remembering those who turned down a chance at the job and/or pulled their name from consideration before they could be offered the position.

OK, ready?

Josh McDaniels, currently Patriots offensive coordinator.

Todd Bowles, currently Cardinals defensive coordinator who just reportedly received a contract extension.

Adam Gase, currently Broncos offensive coordinator.

Another who was considered for the job and maybe would have taken it if it weren't for that pesky Super Bowl ...

Dan Quinn, currently Seahawks defensive coordinator.

Others who reportedly interviewed ...

Greg Schiano (!!), currently unemployed after the Buccaneers fired him.

Dirk Koetter, currently Falcons offensive coordinator.

Plus, there were others.

All of this is to remind you that Pettine took a job that had been turned down several times, enough so that it took nearly a month for the team to hire a coach after firing Rob Chudzinski.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24803787/reminder-these-are-the-coaches-who-didnt-want-the-browns-job

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201411/never-forget-least-six-candidates-said-no-coaching-division-leading-browns

OK, now find me a winning coach in that bunch. The best is perhaps Todd Bowles....and his team just cacked up a furball.

Honestly....I am not sure that any of them are that much better than Pettine.

OK, now find me a winning coach in that bunch. The best is perhaps Todd Bowles....and his team just cacked up a furball.

I guess that is even worse than I thought because coaches who aren't even that great are turning down the chance to come to Cleveland (and that is the point). We have a bad track record in Cleveland of hiring and firing head coaches. In Chud's case he got less than 12 months before being axed.

I think Dan Quinn will be fine, but really they're all younger, fresher prospects who are still largely unproven. Hard to reach a verdict on any of them yet.

Except maybe Schiano - who is not younger, fresher, and unproven.

Article on who we're looking at:

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/17578/browns-coaching-search-seven-interviewed-none-hired-yet

I could be mistaken, but if it's Patricia we really want, I don't think we can officially hire him, or announce we hired him, until after his season with the Patriots is over. Problem with that is, their season could go on for several more weeks, and there's no guarantee we'll get him. So if we wait that long and he stiffs us...we could be down to the bottom of the barrel. Sound familiar?

Exactly it- if we want Patricia, we had better hope the Chiefs beat the Patriots. Coaching prospect aside, I wouldn't mind that scenario at all.

Gut feeling.. Hue Jackson will not come here to face Marvin Lewis & Natty. 1. Hue takes Natty job if Marvin Lewis is booted, 2. if not he takes Giants for talent or 3. Goes home to 9ers. Jackson is out. Lovie Smith is the guy to fix a Defense & did pretty well with a rookie QB, make the call, talk .can't hurt at this point. Patricia or Lovie is a better feel than C. Kelley or Sabin at this point..

Article on who we're looking at:

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/17578/browns-coaching-search-seven-interviewed-none-hired-yet

I could be mistaken, but if it's Patricia we really want, I don't think we can officially hire him, or announce we hired him, until after his season with the Patriots is over. Problem with that is, their season could go on for several more weeks, and there's no guarantee we'll get him. So if we wait that long and he stiffs us...we could be down to the bottom of the barrel. Sound familiar?

Yup.... and just to let him know how much we love him we mount a big push for Hugh Jackson...

Archived