THE BROWNS BOARD

If we draft Goff

Hoodums19

I'm 95% sure that we are taking Goff at this point. Johnny obviously isn't the solution, and McCown is too old to build your franchise around.

So if we take Goff, I pray he turns out like Andrew Luck.

So if Goff is like Andrew Luck, we will basically be the Indianapolis Colts, A team with a good Quarterback with a few offensive weapons and a below average defense....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 95% sure that we are taking Goff at this point. Johnny obviously isn't the solution, and McCown is too old to build your franchise around.

So if Goff is like Andrew Luck, we will basically be the Indianapolis Colts, A team with a good Quarterback with a few offensive weapons and a below average defense....

No we will still be the Browns chasing the tail of the latest "sure thing" QB to be followed by the next firing of the new HC & GM 2 years from now when that doesn't work out and shortly followed by choosing the next ex-Browns "sure thing" QB. Let's just all eat dog turds instead in Cabernet marinade. At least it will leave a better taste in the mouth.

Ya that would suck having a franchise QB but not being good enough to get to the SB the first four years.

We haven't had a franchise QB since the last time the Bungles won a playoff game ... or the Browns., I'll take my chances with a 15 year window with one.

IF he's the guy. If not ... keep trying.

Who's left in the AFC? Brady, Manning, Ben, Alex Smith.

They have all been starters for 10-15 years? Gotta get one, gotta develop him, gotta keep him.

Zombo

No we will still be the Browns chasing the tail of the latest "sure thing" QB to be followed by the next firing of the new HC & GM 2 years from now when that doesn't work out and shortly followed by choosing the next ex-Browns "sure thing" QB. Let's just all eat dog turds instead in Cabernet marinade. At least it will leave a better taste in the mouth.

Don't remember the last "sure thing" talent we've drafted (at QB)

...Tim couch in 99'?

One of the problems with goff is that there are tons of opinions saying he either isn't good or is just ok. There is general agreeement that the top 2 qbs in this class(lynch and goff) are not as good of prospects over the top 2 qbs last year(Jameis and mariota). Goff looks ok on tape.....he's not anywhere close to a sure thing(and by sure thing I mean sure thing to be decent)

If I were in charge, I'd trade down a bit and try to get two of those studs on Alabama's defensive line,.....

This formula doesn't work in Cleveland. We cant take a QB and build around him. We have to build the trenches up first then bring in a QB eitehr through draft or FA. Goff will not develop here. We're in antoher rebuild phase. We're going to lose at least 2 starters from our O line, so anybody think Goff is going to come in and do something? No he won't even start next year if/when McCown gets hurt. Than he'll run for his life and be in the protocol within 3 games. Career flounders after that. You wanna waste the 1st pick on that? Why take a QB with the 1st when he's not that virtually sure thing? We're gonna suck for at least a couple years so we'll have a perennially high pick. So why not wait till the right guy is gonna come out instead of overreaching on a project?

I'll take my chances with a 15 year window with one.

They have all been starters for 10-15 years? Gotta get one, gotta develop him, gotta keep him.

Zombo

This ^^^ Haslem is the owner. go to his presser at 11:00 to 11:44 (QB) than at 13:40 to 13:55 (build draft) than at 14:30 to 14:50 (JM). Z is dead on & we will be drafting a QB. We Gotta (JM is as good as gone) Develop under/over Josh (perfect) Keep him (Alex Smith ends suitable list of QB in this league.) Can Goff be a Cousins or Hoyer that could be a Bridgewater to get a team to playoffs is the decision.

This formula doesn't work in Cleveland. We cant take a QB and build around him. We have to build the trenches up first then bring in a QB eitehr through draft or FA. Goff will not develop here. We're in antoher rebuild phase. We're going to lose at least 2 starters from our O line, so anybody think Goff is going to come in and do something? No he won't even start next year if/when McCown gets hurt. Than he'll run for his life and be in the protocol within 3 games. Career flounders after that. You wanna waste the 1st pick on that? Why take a QB with the 1st when he's not that virtually sure thing? We're gonna suck for at least a couple years so we'll have a perennially high pick. So why not wait till the right guy is gonna come out instead of overreaching on a project?

Because we clearly haven't spent a lot of money and draft picks on our lines. Thank God we found those UDFA's Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joel Bitonio, Danny Shelton, Phil Taylor, Mitchell Schwartz, and Cam Erving.

Because we clearly haven't spent a lot of money and draft picks on our lines. Thank God we found those UDFA's Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joel Bitonio, Danny Shelton, Phil Taylor, Mitchell Schwartz, and Cam Erving.

and? we haven't gotten our lines right. I think that's pretty evident right? Until we do we're gonna suck. I don't care who our QB is, we will suck.

and? we haven't gotten our lines right. I think that's pretty evident right? Until we do we're gonna suck. I don't care who our QB is, we will suck.

If everybody stays - Thomas, Schwartz, and Mack our line is pretty close to being right. We're borderline 4 pro bowlers there with Bitonio.

You don't skip a franchise QB because you need a pass rusher, or any of that other silly logic.

The consensus #1 is there for the taking this year.

If everybody stays - Thomas, Schwartz, and Mack our line is pretty close to being right. We're borderline 4 pro bowlers there with Bitonio.

You don't skip a franchise QB because you need a pass rusher, or any of that other silly logic.

If the guy is your franchise quarterback no doubt.

A quarter pounder with cheese is maybe McDonalds best sandwich but probably won't get you 5 stars on Zagat.

WSS

There is no franchise QB in this draft. There's only a bunch of "maybe maybe nots". You don't spend a top 10 pick on that with so many defensive talents in this draft. A simple pass rusher? maybe not. A 5 tool defensive lineman that you can build the front 4 around, or a MLB'er that will be the captain of your defense for years to come and make people afraid of going across the middle? Yeah you take that over project QB's. This defense is the worst in the NFL, and will be for years to come if we don't draft talent.

I'm simply in no more mood to pass on a Khalil Mack or JJ Watt like talent to participate in another year of Browns QB crapshoot. Tired of it.

If the guy is your franchise quarterback no doubt.

A quarter pounder with cheese is maybe McDonalds best sandwich but probably won't get you 5 stars on Zagat.

WSS

I haven't seen any real arguments against him except for his weight - which isn't that good of one IMO.

He's definitely not McDonald's level

Where's the fun in agreeing to disagree?

This formula doesn't work in Cleveland. We cant take a QB and build around him.

Sure it can, but you have to start with the right QB...

More of a McDouble fan myself...

There is no franchise QB in this draft. There's only a bunch of "maybe maybe nots".

Of course there is... Every one of the QBs that becomes a "maybe... yes" is franchise by definition. You are conflating "franchise" with "elite" and/or "sure thing".

Agree to disagree, but I see it differently.

I haven't been as high on any prospect since Luck, so I think he's absolutely worth top 5.

Ya that would suck having a franchise QB but not being good enough to get to the SB the first four years.

We haven't had a franchise QB since the last time the Bungles won a playoff game ... or the Browns., I'll take my chances with a 15 year window with one.

Zombo

Agree with what you are saying here. No matter what anyone thinks, quarterback is the most important position in this game. You must have a good one to succeed.

Look at all the teams in the playoffs this year, with the only exceptions being Houston, Washington and maybe Minnesota

They all have above average or competent quarterbacks at least

New England- Brady

Denver- Manning

Pittsburgh- Roethlisberger

Cincinnati- Dalton (Got injured but McCarron was ok)

KC- Smith

Houston- Hoyer (The only exception on this list, he is off and on)

Seattle- Wilson

Carolina- Newton

Arizona- Palmer

Green Bay- Rodgers

Minnesota- Bridgewater

Washington- Cousins (In good form right now)

If you never develop a quarterback properly in this league you can not win

And what was the Browns record with all 4 playing? 2-8 with wins over the dominant Titans and Ravens. And please don't say it was all Macon's fault because the season hasn't been dead long enough to causally forget how ineffective the line was.

And what was the Browns record with all 4 playing? 2-8 with wins over the dominant Titans and Ravens. And please don't say it was all Macon's fault because the season hasn't been dead long enough to causally forget how ineffective the line was.

Having practice squad receiving corps, no competent tight end blocking, no competent lead blocker, and a running back who keeps his eyes down and misses the hole or falls down at first contact.

But let's sit here and say we have the worst offensive line of all time and we need to trade Thomas and part ways with Schwartz and Mack.

We have many problems - the hardest void to fill is the position of franchise quarterback. If Goff is the guy, we're going to take him.

Don't remember the last "sure thing" talent we've drafted (at QB)

...Tim couch in 99'?

I wish we had more than our cleaning staff evaluating Donovan McNabb because the NFL team with the worst record in 1998 ended up in the playoffs something like 10 straight years from 2000-2010 (inclusive of 5 NFC Championship appearances). It was thought the Veer Option Offense at Syracuse was too unconventional to consider (which is why a former coach of Favre's like Andy Reid that knew he played in a similar style of offense to that of the one Favre played in at So Miss).

Same year we had an expansion draft where we chose a guy that had gambling problems at Maryland (Scott Milanovich) over Kurt Warner. As fans, we weren't paid to understand/research the difference our FO was supposed to. Inevitably that led to 1 more QB preference of Spergon Wynn over Tom Brady just 1 year later in a later round.

There is no franchise QB in this draft. There's only a bunch of "maybe maybe nots". You don't spend a top 10 pick on that with so many defensive talents in this draft. A simple pass rusher? maybe not. A 5 tool defensive lineman that you can build the front 4 around, or a MLB'er that will be the captain of your defense for years to come and make people afraid of going across the middle? Yeah you take that over project QB's. This defense is the worst in the NFL, and will be for years to come if we don't draft talent.

I'm simply in no more mood to pass on a Khalil Mack or JJ Watt like talent to participate in another year of Browns QB crapshoot. Tired of it.

Here's Goff's stats for this season

COMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

341 529 4719 64.5 8.92 80 43 13 26 161.3

I wouldn't say that's a "Maybe, maybe not"

Here's Goff's stats for this season

COMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

341 529 4719 64.5 8.92 80 43 13 26 161.3

I wouldn't say that's a "Maybe, maybe not"

Ignoring the stats, all you have to do is watch him play. You see the best in class footwork, rapid going through progressions, best in class pocket awareness and accuracy.

Browns should take a pass at both Goff and Lynch. Draft Bosa, Elliot, Wide receivers and Cardale this year. Trade Manziel, Haden, Thomas and get a veteran QB. Or go out and get Kaepernick. They need help at too many positions to risk another crappy QB draft.

Ignoring the stats, all you have to do is watch him play. You see the best in class footwork, rapid going through progressions, best in class pocket awareness and accuracy.

Well done! That said, it was tough to ignore a TD to INT ratio of 43 to 13 at a comp % of 64.5.

Having practice squad receiving corps, no competent tight end blocking, no competent lead blocker, and a running back who keeps his eyes down and misses the hole or falls down at first contact.

But let's sit here and say we have the worst offensive line of all time and we need to trade Thomas and part ways with Schwartz and Mack.

We have many problems - the hardest void to fill is the position of franchise quarterback. If Goff is the guy, we're going to take him.

"Play Like A Brown" replaced by "Browns Making Excuses Since 1999".

Not saying we have the worst OL in football but saying we have the best is equally wrong. I think the Browns are somewhere in the middle.

And to your point we have a lack of "speed" position talent, including Concussion Joe, and we are deficient pretty much everywhere on defense. If Goff was Andrew Luck I'd agree but since he is probably closer to Blaine Gabbert, I'd like to see our defense get a bit better first.

Browns should take a pass at both Goff and Lynch. Draft Bosa, Elliot, Wide receivers and Cardale this year. Trade Manziel, Haden, Thomas and get a veteran QB. Or go out and get Kaepernick. They need help at too many positions to risk another crappy QB draft.

No Elliott or Cardale unless both are late 3rd round or later. Keep Thomas, trade Manziel and Haden if possible but probably a cut situation. I'd like Kaepernick but depends on who San Fran hires if he is available.

Agree to disagree, but I see it differently.

I haven't been as high on any prospect since Luck, so I think he's absolutely worth top 5.

I have no idea(and let's be real neither do you) whether Goff(or the other guy from memphis for that matter) will be good, but since you're throwing around the word consensus a lot it's also worth pointing out that the top 2 guys in last year's draft had much better grades from the 'experts' than Goff.

He will be drafted high in the first round(maybe by us, maybe not), but as far as potential top 5 draft picks at qb go over the last decade he's nowhere close to being near the top of the heap coming out of college.

Archived