THE BROWNS BOARD

If we draft Goff

Hoodums19

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would take Prescott over Goff but it's close. Goff is a bit thin and needs to gain weight. It figures we'd get a 2 pick in a lousy year for QBs.

And to throw a wrench in the mix Goff will get $25 million guaranteed at #2. Kirk Cousins could probably be had for $50 million and you have a better idea on what you have.

Washington is not letting Cousins get away.

How many times are Browns fans going to be enamored with cousins?

He had a great year - and if Washington got rid of him then what? I don't think you just let the QB who took you to the playoffs walk when there's no alternative.

Cousins is kinda iffy to me still, but Washington is not going to let him walk.

Well done! That said, it was tough to ignore a TD to INT ratio of 43 to 13 at a comp % of 64.5.

How about these stats? 300 out of 429 for a 69.9% comp. for 4,114 yds 37 tds and 13 ints

I'd take that one over Goff any day. :D

Money dictates a lot. The Browns will have to overpay but they have money to spend.

In some cases it doesn't dictate anything. If they can't get an extension, they can just franchise tag him and he stays in Washington.

True but isn't that around $25 million guaranteed next year for a franchised QB?

No clue...but without any other options on the team at QB and the season that he just had, I bet they hang on to him. May prove to be a mistake....he could be great or he could be Scott Mitchell.

No clue...but without any other options on the team at QB and the season that he just had, I bet they hang on to him. May prove to be a mistake....he could be great or he could be Scott Mitchell.

True QBs are a rare commodity. Phins gave Tannehil $45 guaranteed last year and that was probably a mistake.

I would take Prescott over Goff but it's close. Goff is a bit thin and needs to gain weight. It figures we'd get a 2 pick in a lousy year for QBs.

Prescott? The next Taj Boyd, CFL?

No thanks. I'll stick with Goff, NFL.

Mike

This is why we look at more than stats ;)

But we just prompted one stat guy and hired another.

I wonder if they know they would have to find the guy that pulled off those stats his last year in college in Las Vegas riding a swan? :lol:

But we just prompted one stat guy and hired another.

I wonder if they know they would have to find the guy that pulled off those stats his last year in college in Las Vegas riding a swan? :lol:

I still don't doubt that Manziel can be an effective NFL player. He just can't get his head into the game...and that's what's killing him. His performances range from garbage to above average - and that's while partying and drinking and doing drugs and worrying about hiding his off-the-field antics from the coaches.

Imagine if he were to grow the hell up, study the game and cut all of this bullshit out. He'd be unstoppable - like Russell Wilson unstoppable. But that's never going to happen.

His flaws aren't due to a lack of talent, they are due to poor choices and awful work ethic.

I still don't doubt that Manziel can be an effective NFL player. He just can't get his head into the game...and that's what's killing him. His performances range from garbage to above average - and that's while partying and drinking and doing drugs and worrying about hiding his off-the-field antics from the coaches.

Imagine if he were to grow the hell up, study the game and cut all of this bullshit out. He'd be unstoppable - like Russell Wilson unstoppable. But that's never going to happen.

His flaws aren't due to a lack of talent, they are due to poor choices and awful work ethic.

And I mostly agree with that yet allow me to propose one scenario between his last two starts. One of our members regularly watches the game With some of us and agreed that in his penultimate start he was actually sharp and was killed by a multitude of drops. If in fact he actually had a concussion in his final start that might have explained the inaccurate passing.

WSS

And I mostly agree with that yet allow me to propose one scenario between his last two starts. One of our members regularly watches the game With some of us and agreed that in his penultimate start he was actually sharp and was killed by a multitude of drops. If in fact he actually had a concussion in his final start that might have explained the inaccurate passing.

WSS

He's continuing to get better, his bad games this year were nothing like last year. Once again, imagine how good he could be if he had zero distractions.

The problem is that there's always new talent, and just because he CAN be great doesn't mean that others can't be. He's shown in two years now that he's not going to change his behavior any time soon and, if the reports are true, he doesn't even want to be here.

Personally, I'd rather move on with someone else who also has the potential to be great, rather than sit around and hope Manziel finds stability in his life.

Imagine if he were to grow the hell up, study the game and cut all of this bullshit out. He'd be unstoppable...

I have a great imagination.... and, no...

I have a great imagination.... and, no...

What realistically makes you say that, from a talent standpoint?

His flaws insofar have been those of mental weakness, not physical. Missing open receivers is common in rookies and representative of not having a full grasp of the playbook.

All reports thus far have been that he's a great teammate in the facility and has extremely high football intelligence, so it doesn't seem likely that he can't understand concepts. It's much more likely that he's just not putting any real effort into football once he's outside the facilities.

Let's look at some other young QB's that have shown improvement, Bortles and Carr for example. There are two things that stand out to me: One, the QB gets TIME to make mistakes and to get more familiar with their duties. Secondly, they need WEAPONS. Carr has Crabtree and Cooper. A veteran with great hands that can move the sticks, and a young stud that can make the "wow" plays. Bortles has a killer receiving group that came together basically in a year or two. Heck, he has more weapons than most other teams. What we CAN'T do is draft a young QB, have him throwing the ball to Marlan Moore, Terrell Pryor, and Travis Benjamin. If Gordon truly has changed, we must do everything we can to keep him. If we do, Benjamin then becomes an excellent addition, but we'll still need more talent at the WR position.

He's continuing to get better, his bad games this year were nothing like last year. Once again, imagine how good he could be if he had zero distractions.

The problem is that there's always new talent, and just because he CAN be great doesn't mean that others can't be. He's shown in two years now that he's not going to change his behavior any time soon and, if the reports are true, he doesn't even want to be here.

Personally, I'd rather move on with someone else who also has the potential to be great, rather than sit around and hope Manziel finds stability in his life.

Well there's the kicker. If reports are true. These reports come from the same place they've come for the last 2 years including the weekly report that he was doing great at practice and really had a grasp on the offense in his first year. Which turned out to either be something another player made up and passed on to reporter or made up by the reporter himself. The rest of the shit is stuff from some idiots twitter feed blowing into a story by radio personalities with nothing else to talk about and reported as fact by a bunch of us.

So if I believe those reports, that he wants out, and I was in control, I would get rid of him.

Otherwise I would like to know more about the situation with him and whoever my new coaching staff is going to be.

Or I can just knee jerk and react emotionally. ;).

My super high draft pick can be spent on Goff, and further neglect other needs of the team which will make Goffs eventual possible success even less likely.

Especially since Goff will be expected to sit on the bench for at least a year due to the imbalance of experience between him and Josh McCown, right?

And face it it's like a 24-month automobile lease in Cleveland at the end of which you switch cars and pay an exorbitant fee for the mileage.

:)

WSS

That guy was more style than substance. Time to develope a more focused and talented young player. You sticking around ?

Of course I am. I'm one of the few who showed up when JM came here and has stuck through it all. And as I have said before, there is still about a 10% chance he wakes up and becomes the player we have seen flashes of in games when he is totally focused and competitive. I just hope that happens before he goes elsewhere despite all the justifiably angry feelings Browns fans have for him with his ridiculous antics. I really don't like Dallas so if he awakens I want it to be with the more deserving fans. If it doesn't happen here and he either busts out or goes elsewhere, I'll still be a Browns fan. This is an enjoyable, knowledgeable website to spend time on if you are a real football fan. And only one pro player has ever captured my attention like Jim Brown and that was Bo Jackson. We never got to see the long term career I thought might just match JB's.

Well there's the kicker. If reports are true. These reports come from the same place they've come for the last 2 years including the weekly report that he was doing great at practice and really had a grasp on the offense in his first year. Which turned out to either be something another player made up and passed on to reporter or made up by the reporter himself. The rest of the shit is stuff from some idiots twitter feed blowing into a story by radio personalities with nothing else to talk about and reported as fact by a bunch of us.

So if I believe those reports, that he wants out, and I was in control, I would get rid of him.

Otherwise I would like to know more about the situation with him and whoever my new coaching staff is going to be.

Or I can just need jerk and react emotionally. ;).

My super high draft pick can be spent on Goff, and further neglect other needs of the team which will make Goffsure eventual possible success even less likely.

Especially since Goff will be expected to sit on the bench for at least a year due to the imbalance of experience between him and Josh McCown, right?

And face it it's like a 24-month automobile lease in Cleveland at the end of which you switch cars and pay an exorbitant fee for the mileage.

:)

WSS

Sure, you can have a knee-jerk emotional reaction. You can also be too paralyzed by fear (or too infatuated with potential) to make a change that probably needs to be made.

The fact is that he hasn't tried to deny the Vegas report once. He's already been to rehab, he's since had a domestic dispute, he's since had a video surface of him drinking at a nightclub (which he then tried to hide), he's already been dropped by one marketing agency, and he's already had our future HOF LT question his motives and maturity.

On their own, some of them are minor issues. Together, they are a whirlwind of immaturity.

Johnny Manziel isn't the last great hope for a franchise QB. Cutting ties with him doesn't mean we don't get another one. If he goes somewhere else and finds success, that's great.

But sticking with him just because he's looked decent this year and hoping that he gets his head out of his ass is an absolutely terrible way to start another rebuilding process.

What realistically makes you say that, from a talent standpoint?

His flaws insofar have been those of mental weakness, not physical. Missing open receivers is common in rookies and representative of not having a full grasp of the playbook.

All reports thus far have been that he's a great teammate in the facility and has extremely high football intelligence, so it doesn't seem likely that he can't understand concepts. It's much more likely that he's just not putting any real effort into football once he's outside the facilities.

Sorry, TC... no disrespect, but I'm not going to spend time discussing JM any longer.

Archived