THE BROWNS BOARD

Huge Action Searching For TC Partners

Tim Couch Pulls Out

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland//post/_/id/798/browns-new-coach-is-already-exploring-teams-to-practice-with-in-training-camp

Browns coach Hue Jackson is exploring teams to practice with in training camp, is in favor of moving a portion of the summer camp to Columbus, and does not want any part of HBO’s “Hard Knocks” in his first season, but is open to it in the future.Jackson’s comments on these topics were in response to questions on the “Hey Tony” show on ESPN Cleveland Tuesday morning.

A year ago under former coach Mike Pettine, the Browns resumed a long-standing partnership with the Buffalo Bills and practiced jointly at the Bills’ training camp in Rochester, NY.

Jackson said he likes the idea and is exploring “to see if that would fit with a few teams that we have great relationships with.”

“I’m all for that if it works and fits and benefits us,” Jackson said. “I’m definitely for it, but it doesn’t have to happen at the same time.

“I think we can create enough competition to go against each other each and every day in practice so where we can get a pretty good evaluation. But I think it’s always better when you have a different colored jersey to evaluate against.”

Jackson said he has had conversations with his new bosses about the possibility of moving a portion of training camp from Berea to the Columbus area. The Browns’ business department has been exploring a few locations in the Ohio capital city, but so far no deal has been struck, Jackson said.

“I totally get that Columbus is another opportunity for us to take our team somewhere else, somewhere away from the environment, because that’s the way football is when you think about it,” he said. “You have these home games, but you also play away. And I think your team has to know how to travel. I mean, it’s just another part of the process.

“Even though it’s not that far away, still you’re getting out of your environment, getting out of the comfort zone, you’re changing routine somewhat to where guys have to adapt and make sure that they’re ready to go. So I’m all for that, too.

“I like breaking up the monotony, per se, of what your daily plans are because football is played that way. There’s things that happen and games and situations where you have to adjust. If we do do that, I think it would give us an opportunity to explore those situations.”

Jackson was with the Cincinnati Bengals as an assistant coach when they last appeared on the HBO summer series “Hard Knocks” in 2013. The NFL has tried to encourage teams to volunteer to appear in the popular series. If no team volunteers, the NFL can mandate an appearance, but the Browns enjoy an exemption as one of seven teams with a new coach.

“It’s not something I would want to do right away because I think there’s too many other building blocks and foundations to put in place and we wouldn’t want to get in the way of that,” Jackson said. “But at the same time, I’ve seen where that opportunity has brought more focus to players and the organization. I’ve seen times where it’s hurt.

“But being the first year I would like to just kind of stay status quo, if we could.”

So, a few weeks into the job and:

1) We're releasing Manziel

2) We're possibly practicing with other teams

3) We're possibly moving some part of TC away

4) We're probably drafting a QB

5) We could possibly do Hard Knocks in 2017.

Sounds like Hue is trying to shake things up a tiny bit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland//post/_/id/798/browns-new-coach-is-already-exploring-teams-to-practice-with-in-training-camp

In the last two years we drafted a first round QB, held a TC with another team, held a scrimmage in Columbus and released the previous regime's failed first round QB. Just saying...

Has anyone analyzed all this? :P

Edit-other than gftChris above. :lol:

Biggest impact Hue can have in year one is get rid of the Cleveland Day Camp for NFL Players and replace it with Cleveland Boot Camp. No more lazy practices, no more days off, not even for Joe Thomas. Make people earn everything. If it were up to me, players would start training camp with a plain white helmet and white jersey with nothing but their number on it. Make them earn a Browns helmet, Browns Jersey, their name on that jersey piece by piece. Make them earn everything so they can feel some pride when they're wearing the brown and orange.

....that was my point. Should have used the pink font.

Yup... it'd make things easier on us. Best I could manage based only upon your OP was to get on the fence.

The "Business side" of the team has been advocating developing the Columbus market for a few years now...and the move of part of Training camp is merely for that purpose.....taking over Columbus.

A natural to do part of TC in Columbus would be the Bengals.....both teams close by, Jackson having just been with the Bengals.

What I don't know is if the Browns brass would be in favor of that because why invite the competition you are in for the market...and strengthen their case (especially when they have been in the playoffs and you haven't)

The "Business side" of the team has been advocating developing the Columbus market for a few years now...and the move of part of Training camp is merely for that purpose.....taking over Columbus.

A natural to do part of TC in Columbus would be the Bengals.....both teams close by, Jackson having just been with the Bengals.

What I don't know is if the Browns brass would be in favor of that because why invite the competition you are in for the market...and strengthen their case (especially when they have been in the playoffs and you haven't)

More importantly, why let a divisional rival get more inside info on your strengths and weaknesses...

Well I don't like the idea of moving to Columbus.

And doing hard knocks might be better for your final season then your first.

;)

WSS

I did not know that... sweet...

If, instead of copying and pasting the link in your browser bar, you click 'share' on the youtube video, there's an option to 'start at' - just set the time and you're away. So for your draft breakdown videos if you want to point something out, you can just do that.

Archived