THE BROWNS BOARD

Any type 2 diabetes sufferers?

One Post

My uncle just moved back to the US and within a month was diagnosed with diabetes. I don't know what you guys have in the air over there, but he was fine in England ;) I jest, of course.

A very good friend of mine has diabetes and has had it for a long time. He used to inject many times every day, before or after every meal, and on one occasion we were coming back from dinner, he did a BSL test on the way and was dangerously low - his OH literally ran back to the flat and raided the fridge for fruit juice, fruit yoghurts, basically anything that had readily available sugar.

Anyway, fast forward a couple of years, and he's drastically changed his diet - very, very low carb, only meat, fruit and vegetables, basically (though in vast quantities). He's fitter than ever, and has massively reduced the amount of times he injects, down to maybe one per day.

I was 8.6 with 1500 MG metformin.

Started Invokana 10 days ago.

Going back for another test.

WSS

I take metformin as well. It's got this taste/smell I can't describe. Anyway the Victoza is working great. Now I can skip meals. I do feel a bit nauseous sometimes.

8.6 wow ya better get that down. Good luck let me know.

My uncle just moved back to the US and within a month was diagnosed with diabetes. I don't know what you guys have in the air over there, but he was fine in England ;) I jest, of course.

A very good friend of mine has diabetes and has had it for a long time. He used to inject many times every day, before or after every meal, and on one occasion we were coming back from dinner, he did a BSL test on the way and was dangerously low - his OH literally ran back to the flat and raided the fridge for fruit juice, fruit yoghurts, basically anything that had readily available sugar.

Anyway, fast forward a couple of years, and he's drastically changed his diet - very, very low carb, only meat, fruit and vegetables, basically (though in vast quantities). He's fitter than ever, and has massively reduced the amount of times he injects, down to maybe one per day.

Yes I understand where your friend was. It sounds like he was on a background insulin along with insulin for meals. They probably changed his meds and got him on the right track.

When my BS gets low I become irritable.

I take metformin as well. It's got this taste/smell I can't describe. Anyway the Victoza is working great. Now I can skip meals. I do feel a bit nauseous sometimes.

8.6 wow ya better get that down. Good luck let me know.

Yes the a1c had jumped up from 7.1 over last 6 months so he went with the invokana and metformin. I have one of those one touch meters but I can't find the test strips.

I think invokana the one you take and one other are the same family of medication. Dehydration low blood sugar frequent urination?

WSS

Yes the a1c had jumped up from 7.1 over last 6 months so he went with the invokana and metformin. I have one of those one touch meters but I can't find the test strips.

I think invokana the one you take and one other are the same family of medication. Dehydration low blood sugar frequent urination?

WSS

No dehydration I drink water all day anyway. So same answer for the urinating. But I'm nauseous all the time now.

The doc asked me what my secret was for my A1C I chuckled and told him I was all in for my health. Also told him I get a full nights rest. You see, if you eat a snack before bedtime you can sleep knowing you won't run low. I didn't have any secrets I've only been diagnosed since June of last year. My goal is to get so low I can control it by diet alone which probably won't happen.

WSS

I have a co pay of $30 for my one touch testing strips. It's really expensive when the doc wants you to test four times a day. Here's what I did.

Wal Mart has a brand called reli on. I bought the "prime" tester ($9) and the strips are $18 for 100 of them. It still costs money but it saves some money. I payed out of pocket it was cheaper than the co pay.

If you keep a good eye on the bsl's it insures you of where you are headed on your A1C. Good luck.

Well I own a freestyle lite. Do they reli strips work in them? Generic?

There was some place that sent me test strips for free and billed the insurance company but I have a new insurance company.

PS am I mistaken or did you say that you had an a1c of 5.1? Why would you be concerned about something that low?

WSS

Well I own a freestyle lite. Do they reli strips work in them? Generic?

There was some place that sent me test strips for free and billed the insurance company but I have a new insurance company.

PS am I mistaken or did you say that you had an a1c of 5.1? Why would you be concerned about something that low?

WSS

The reason for concern.

Last June I got real sick. I had to piss all the time and had an insatiable thirst. I went to the doc after putting it off for weeks. They checked my blood sugar there and it was too high to read. They sent me to the er.

Wheelchair waiting for me they rush me into see a doctor there and my blood sugar was 742. My A1c was 13.1. I was in the hospital and was a brand new diabetic. I've followed every prescription and every detail from the doctor.

Going from 13.1 to 5.1 is awesome for me and it was a scare and a lifestyle change.

I guess I'm paranoid more than concerned I might get that sick again it fuckin sucked.

WSS

Victoza is liraglutide - it works by increasing the amount of insulin your pancreatic beta cells can release when stimulated. Invokana is canagliflozin - this one makes your kidneys piss out glucose instead of reabsorbing it.

The reason for concern.

Last June I got real sick. I had to piss all the time and had an insatiable thirst. I went to the doc after putting it off for weeks. They checked my blood sugar there and it was too high to read. They sent me to the er.

Wheelchair waiting for me they rush me into see a doctor there and my blood sugar was 742. My A1c was 13.1. I was in the hospital and was a brand new diabetic. I've followed every prescription and every detail from the doctor.

Going from 13.1 to 5.1 is awesome for me and it was a scare and a lifestyle change.

I guess I'm paranoid more than concerned I might get that sick again it fuckin sucked.

13.1 to 5.1 is incredibly impressive. Good work, brother. Just curious, what drugs did they switch you off of when you started the invokana?

Victoza is liraglutide - it works by increasing the amount of insulin your pancreatic beta cells can release when stimulated. Invokana is canagliflozin - this one makes your kidneys piss out glucose instead of reabsorbing it.

13.1 to 5.1 is incredibly impressive. Good work, brother. Just curious, what drugs did they switch you off of when you started the invokana?

Novolin N and Novolin R. Also stayed to my diet of 50-70 carbs per meal. I've only lost 4 lbs Lol.

For me I still take the metformin they just added the invokana.

I guess I will probably need to lose some weight and watch my diet.

WSS

For the record just for the last few days of my couple weeks of invokana I've been intentionally cutting down on carbohydrate.

My last a1c was 8.6. Average of 200 glucose per day.

The last few days with the low carb diet my random readings are 110 - 125.

Before watching the carbs it was 140-185.

So invokana and a little bit of restraint is working extremely well

WSS

I've been thinking about asking my doctor to switch my meds to something other than the 2000 mg's of Metformin plus 6 mg's of Glimepiride. I've been a type 2 for 8 years, and I'm currently running an A1C of 7.7. You guys keep me posted on how Invokana and Victoza are working out for you.

I've been thinking about asking my doctor to switch my meds to something other than the 2000 mg's of Metformin plus 6 mg's of Glimepiride. I've been a type 2 for 8 years, and I'm currently running an A1C of 7.7. You guys keep me posted on how Invokana and Victoza are working out for you.

I'm almost two weeks into my Victoza. I'm still at .6 and was supposed to go up to 1.2 but haven't because my blood sugar is kind of low (70-80) to perfect. Also I'm not eating to cover my insulin but when I'm working it gets low not because I'm moving around but because I don't have an appetite.

For the record just for the last few days of my couple weeks of invokana I've been intentionally cutting down on carbohydrate.

My last a1c was 8.6. Average of 200 glucose per day.

The last few days with the low carb diet my random readings are 110 - 125.

Before watching the carbs it was 140-185.

So invokana and a little bit of restraint is working extremely well

WSS

Ya watching your carbs and getting a good sleep is key. I like a good Sammich myself so ya it's hard to resist eating.

Archived