THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Add 8 New Coaches

Opal312

Rock Cartwright (offensive quality control), Louie Cioffi (defensive backs), Ken Delgado (assistant defensive line), Johnny Holland (inside linebackers), Cannon Matthews (assistant defensive backs), Robert Nunn (defensive line), Eric Sanders (defensive quality control) and Ryan Slowik (outside linebackers) have joined the staff.

From the Browns website:

Very encouraging!

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-add-8-to-coaching-staff/f60fe1bb-2d18-48e5-8309-ca817fd099c1

Cleveland Browns Head Coach Hue Jackson announced eight additions to the coaching staff on Monday.

Rock Cartwright (offensive quality control), Louie Cioffi (defensive backs), Ken Delgado (assistant defensive line), Johnny Holland (inside linebackers), Cannon Matthews (assistant defensive backs), Robert Nunn (defensive line), Eric Sanders (defensive quality control) and Ryan Slowik (outside linebackers) have joined the staff.

“When I look at the whole makeup of our staff, I am really excited about the men who have come here to Cleveland to help assist this organization be the best that it can be,” Jackson said. “I think when you look at our staff we have a very good mix of old and young, experience and inexperience, and we have the potential to keep growing. We are going to chase greatness together and that is what this is all about.”

Cioffi previously spent the 2013 season in the same role with the club. Cioffi has 21 years of NFL coaching experience and has worked with Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton during 10 of those seasons. He spent the past two years (2014-15) as the defensive backs coach for Tennessee. Cioffi spent two seasons (2011-12) with the Cardinals and played a pivotal role in the development of 2011 first-round draft pick cornerback Patrick Peterson. Prior to Arizona, Cioffi spent 14 seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, first as a defensive assistant (1997-2002) and then as assistant defensive backs coach (2003-10). Hired in 1997 as a defensive assistant at the age of 23, Cioffi was the youngest full-time assistant coach in the NFL at that time. He began his coaching career in 1993 as a staff assistant with the New York Jets. He also coached wide receivers for two seasons (1995-96) at C.W. Post University in Brookville, N.Y.

Matthews spent the 2013 season as a defensive coaching intern with Cleveland. He was the defensive quality control coach in Tennessee from 2014-15. Matthews spent one season (2012) as the running backs coach at Kentucky Christian University following four years (2008-11) with the Buffalo Bills as a coaching assistant. He worked with the defense and special teams from 2008-09 and with the offense from 2010-11. He entered the professional ranks as a personnel intern for the Arena League’s Arizona Rattlers in 2008. A native of Bedford Heights, Ohio, Matthews earned a sport management degree from Ohio University.

“Louie Cioffi and Cannon Matthews were both with Ray here in Cleveland and also in Tennessee,” Jackson said. “I think it was very important to get continuity on that side. These guys have been around Ray, and I think that is important. They understand the system and know how things are laid out. I think anytime that you can have coaches that you have worked with, you have an opportunity to hit the ground running. Me and Louie worked together in Cincinnati a while back so I know what kind of football coach he is. Cannon is going to be the assistant secondary coach and he will do a tremendous job.”

Delgado has spent the past 30 years coaching on the college level, where he has helped his teams to 15 postseason bowl games and developed a number of future NFL players. He spent the past two seasons (2014-15) as the defensive ends coach at Western Kentucky. In 2015, the Hilltoppers went 12-2 and finished No. 24 in the final Associated Press poll. Delgado has also had stints as the defensive line coach at Eastern Michigan (2010-13), Louisville (2008-09) and Cal (2002-07). Two of Degaldo’s products, Brandon Mebane (Seattle) and Tully Banta-Cain (New England), went on to win the Super Bowl. Prior to joining the staff at Cal, Delgado worked eight years (1994-01) at San Diego State. He served as the defensive line coach from 1994-99 before being promoted to defensive coordinator from 2000-01. He helped develop Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, who became the Aztecs’ sack leader and later the Green Bay Packers career sack leader. Delgado coached one season (1993) at Utah and seven seasons (1986-92) at San Jose State. He played two seasons at San Jose State.

“This will be Ken Delgado’s first opportunity to coach in the National Football League,” Jackson said. “I have a relationship with him prior, we go way back and I have watched him teach at so many different places. I know that he is a guy who is going to help teach that room how to play defensive line.”

As a coach, Holland has helped his teams win championships in the NFL, CFL and UFL. As a player, he played seven seasons as a linebacker with Green Bay and was named to the Packers’ Hall of Fame in 2001 and the Texas A&M Hall of Fame in 1993. Holland coached in the CFL the past three seasons (2013-15) and helped the Saskatchewan Roughriders capture the Grey Cup in 2013. After one year with the Oakland Raiders (2012), he spent one season (2011) with the UFL’s Virginia Destroyers, helping the team win the league championship. Holland served as linebackers coach for five seasons (2006-10) with the Houston Texans, where he helped tutor two players who were named Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year in DeMeco Ryan (2006) and Brian Cushing (2009). Holland spent three seasons with Detroit (2003-05) and three seasons with Seattle (2000-02). He began his coaching career with the Packers in 1995 and spent five seasons on staff. He helped the Packers win consecutive NFC championships and Super Bowl XXXI.

“Johnny Holland is a seasoned veteran coach,” Jackson said. “He played in this league and has had success as a player and a coach. He is a very passionate demanding teacher. I know without any question he is going to get the best out of our linebackers.”

Nunn has 16 years of NFL coaching experience, including the past six seasons as defensive line coach with the New York Giants, where he helped the team win Super Bowl XLVI. During his six seasons (2010-15) with the Giants, Nunn worked with a number of renowned pass rushers including, Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, who each recorded at least one double-digit sack season during that span. Nunn coached Tampa Bay’s defensive line in 2009 and Green Bay’s defensive tackles from 2005-08. He has two stints coaching in Miami, first from 2000-02, and also in 2004. He entered the NFL as a defensive assistant in 2000 before being promoted to assistant defensive line/quality control coach from 2001-02. In 2003, Nunn was the defensive line coach in Washington, during which time Bruce Smith broke the NFL career sacks record. Prior to the joining the NFL ranks, Nunn coached 12 years on the college level. He served as team captain and was a four-year letterman at Oklahoma State.

“Robert Nunn is one of the finest defensive line coaches in all of pro football,” Jackson sad. “We have a relationship that extends back to our days with the Washington Redskins. He coached in Super Bowls with the New York Giants and has coached some tremendous players.”

Sanders spent 2015 as a defensive assistant at Stanford. He helped the school to a 12-2 record, including a 45-16 victory in the Rose Bowl. Prior to Stanford, Sanders spent five seasons (2010-14) with the Raiders as a quality control coach, initially with the offense for three seasons and later the defense. Sanders was part of Jackson’s staff in Oakland in 2011. Sanders spent two seasons (2008-09) coaching the linebackers at UC Davis and one season (2006) as assistant offensive line/tight ends coach. He also was a graduate assistant at Utah State in 2007.

“Eric Sanders was our offensive quality control coach when I was with the Raiders,” Jackson said. “I have always wanted to get him back with me. He is hard working and great at analyzing things. He is coming from Stanford and they have a tremendous program. He will help with our linebackers.”

Slowik has coached in the NFL the last 11 years, including two seasons (2011-12) with Horton in Arizona. Slowik was the Jets assistant defensive line coach in 2015. The Jets finished second in the NFL allowing 83.4 rushing yards a game and Muhammad Wilkerson led the team with 12 sacks, while earning his first career Pro Bowl selection. Slowik spent six seasons (2009-14) with the Cardinals, where he served as defensive quality control coach, assisting with the team’s linebackers from 2009-11, outside linebackers coach in 2012 and defensive assistant/defensive backs coach from 2013-14. Prior to Arizona, Slowik spent four years (2005-08) with the Broncos in a variety of roles. He started his coaching career at his alma mater, UW-Oshkosh, in 2004 as an assistant secondary coach. Before joining the coaching ranks, Slowik served as a personnel intern with the Packers for one season (2003). As a strong safety, Slowik began his collegiate playing career at Youngstown State (2000-01) before transferring to UW-Oshkosh (2002-03). His father, Bob, is a long-time NFL assistant who was the Browns defensive coordinator in 1999.

“Ryan Slowik is an up and coming bright young coach,” Jackson said. “I think he has tremendous upside as a young coach in this profession. He has been with the Jets, Cardinals and Broncos. I think the sky is the limit for him.”

As a running back, Cartwright appeared in 154 games during a 10-year NFL career. He was a seventh-round draft pick by Washington in 2002. He played eight seasons (2002-09) with the Redskins and two (2010-11) with Oakland. He set a Redskins single-season record with 1,541 kickoff return yards in 2006 and finished second in Redskins history with 3,157 kickoff return yards. Cartwright was a training camp coaching intern with the Steelers in 2015. He was an all-conference selection at Kansas State.

“I was part of the process that drafted Rock coming out of Kansas State,” Jackson said. “I was with him for two seasons in Washington and then when I was with the Raiders, we brought him to Oakland. He was a tremendous football player and he was always a team leader. He is a detailed, organized perfectionist who likes to push. I think he will do a great job with Kirby (Wilson) and help our young running backs get better.”

still no talk about what Hortons doing with our defense? Staying the same, going back to his time with Chud, doing something different perhaps? Anything?

He runs a Dick Lebeau style 3-4.

Zombo

still no talk about what Hortons doing with our defense? Staying the same, going back to his time with Chud, doing something different perhaps? Anything?

Nothing official, but as roster stands, why would it be any different than was under Chud?

Between Hue and his assistants, there are 8 superbowl rings in that group. That is more than can be said for the last three staffs combined.

Archived