THE BROWNS BOARD

Chris's fave Bernie Sanders.. wants more taxes to bail out student loans

calfoxwc

Wall Street crying foul about it after getting billions of tax payer dollars in bailout would be real cute. The biggest welfare queens are the big banks in this country.

Of course getting student loan debt forgiven is appealing. If someone is offering to forgive my debt, I wouldn't turn it down. Until then, I am paying it off like every other stiff.

Ha.

I know three people with unpaid student loans, one for fashion design, one for social work and one for law enforcement. All three of which sitting on their ass on or under employed for many years.

As far as I know none of the three has even applied for a job in any of those fields.

WSS

Right there, three great examples of degree courses that don't need to exist.

Meanwhile, woody did engineering and has paid his off (impressively quickly). I did math and will pay mine off this year (five years after I started repaying).

Compare and contrast.

Meanwhile, woody did engineering and has paid his off (impressively quickly). I did math and will pay mine off this year (five years after I started repaying).

Compare and contrast.

We might possibly be in agreement here!

WSS

I'm sure tuition rates are too high but that doesn't stop some universities from shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars for a 30 minute speech from Hillary Clinton.

Yep. Why? Off the top of my head, to boost the profile, and get either more people applying, or more donations from alumni (towards their sports team?).

Really not sure. Also, is it only Hillary that gives speeches at universities? Or all establishment politicians?

On an October evening in 2013, Hillary Clinton addressed a crowd of more than 6,000 at the University at Buffalo -- a public college in upstate New York -- speaking in a low-key, folksy manner about economic growth in the state's second largest city.

The 30-minute speech earned Clinton $275,000 -- a hefty chunk of the $2 million in total she has received for delivering university speeches since leaving her post as secretary of state in February 2013.

On Monday, Clinton, now the Democratic presidential frontrunner, unveiled a $350 billion bailout plan for college graduates faced with crushing student debt dubbed "the new college compact" -- a proposal her critics cast as blatantly hypocritical and disingenuous. The fee paid by the University at Buffalo could have covered a year of tuition for 42 students at the public institution -- an irony her detractors, including rival GOP presidential candidates, were quick to point out.

Clinton, however, has said every dollar earned speaking at universities has gone into the philanthropic work of the Clinton Foundation and not for personal gain. :D

The University of California at Los Angeles doled out $300,000 for Clinton to speak in March 2014, while the University of Nevada at Las Vegas paid $225,000 in October 2014.

In emails obtained by the Washington Post, officials at UCLA tried to bargain down the cost but were told by Clinton's representatives at the Harry Walker Agency that $300,000 is the "special university rate." lol :o

Ha.

I know three people with unpaid student loans, one for fashion design, one for social work and one for law enforcement. All three of which sitting on their ass on or under employed for many years.

As far as I know none of the three has even applied for a job in any of those fields.

WSS

You can avoid every debt possible except for student loan and taxes. They will be unhappy folks if they refuse to pay up.

Depends on the student loan. Federal loans are really relaxed. They'll let you just keep deferring forever

Here the government loans you get for education, you are required to pay back when you start earning, at the rate of 9% of your salary over £21k.

Yep. Why? Off the top of my head, to boost the profile, and get either more people applying, or more donations from alumni (towards their sports team?).

Really not sure. Also, is it only Hillary that gives speeches at universities? Or all establishment politicians?

Only Hillary has ever given a paid for speech at a college. Duh

I have not experienced such a thing haha. They were right up my ass as soon as the 6 months were up after graduation.

It's a bit of a dick move to demand repayments a certain amount of time after graduation. If you don't have a job, you likely don't have any money. That's something I like about the student loans here (plenty I don't like!) - that you only start paying it back once you reach an income threshold. It's not high, but it's well above minimum wage.

Only Hillary has ever given a paid for speech at a college. Duh

Without checking I would bet nobody else even comes close to gouging colleges for a speech like Hillary Clinton... She told UCLA they were getting the Clinton bargain special at $300,000 when they asked if she would lower her speaking fee. Also the point is that colleges who gouge students with high tuition should be wiser with their spending instead of giving an old political hack like Clinton hundreds of thousands of dollars for a 30 minute speech.

Compare and contrast.

Thank you. I had a few things going for me

1. Lucky to have a dad that saved up money for college. 50k a year out of state would have been impossible otherwise.

2. Michigan isn't big on financial aid to out of state students (Illinois was much more generous). But I was offered federal loans that were easier to pay off

3. I co-op'd one winter and was part time another, so only 6.5 semesters to pay

Still though, I couldn't have afforded grad school (even if I wanted to).

All things considered, I'm pretty lucky

Without checking I would bet nobody else even comes close to gouging colleges for a speech like Hillary Clinton... She told UCLA they were getting the Clinton bargain special at $300,000 when they asked if she would lower her speaking fee. Also the point is that colleges who gouge students with high tuition should be wiser with their spending instead of giving an old political hack like Clinton hundreds of thousands of dollars for a 30 minute speech.

Clinton also doesn't pay the crew (sound crew, light screw, etc, etc.) until they send her several invoices for several months (I've seen multiple people on said crews say they couldn't get her team to pay them)

I don't know why people don't understand that student loan debt 1) the system needs an overhaul and 2) that shit needs to be forgiven. So many graduates are working at salaries WELL under what their degree required so if we want them to be functioning and "consuming" members of society, ie contributing to economic growth....something has to be done. This is why part of me is on board with ole comrade Sanders about college tuition....but what I wish he would do is qualify it with "certain degrees". As was said before, interpretive dance doesn't need to be covered by the taxpayer.

I don't know why you don't understand "personal responsibility".

dammit. Somebody accrues 200,000 bucks to go to art school....

and they sell one painting for five bucks in a year.....

and poor them, we should bail them out???

Meanwhile, I had to turn away from my keyboard because I was drinking green tea.

Almost sprayed my keyboard. Dammit, Steve. LOLLOL

"Posted Today, 10:35 AM

I think you should get your money back if you buy an expensive guitar and it turns out you suck at playing it.
:D

WSS "

I don't know why you don't understand "personal responsibility".

dammit. Somebody accrues 200,000 bucks to go to art school....

and they sell one painting for five bucks in a year.....

and poor them, we should bail them out???

Meanwhile, I had to turn away from my keyboard because I was drinking green tea.

Almost sprayed my keyboard. Dammit, Steve. LOLLOL

"Posted Today, 10:35 AM

I think you should get your money back if you buy an expensive guitar and it turns out you suck at playing it.

:D

WSS "

I've taken you off ignore "for the time being"...please stay reasonable and we can have some good discussions. Ok now to your point, those 200k debts weren't accrued going to art school. They were accrued in high end science and medical degrees. I understand your point about personal responsibility, but if things keep going as they are...we're not going to produce many high end doctors and engineers. Why? Cause won't hardly anybody be able to afford them. And college's won't adjust their prices, you know why? Cause they will be able to maintain their enrollment through wealthy americans but mostly foreign students who are getting subsidized by their govts.

Now think about that last one Cal....high end science degrees going back to their home countries when they're done. You think none of that knowledge is being militarized? See the problem? So are we going to tell college's they can't accept foreign kids anymore? This is how China is catching up to us as quick as they are. We taught em. They will keep paying for their kids to go through the American college mill. And our kids will be left doing what? Not filling desperately needed domestic jobs that's what.

There are plenty of kids that want nothing to do with math /science /engineering, and that is before cost factors in.

We shouldn't limit that pool any more

of course not, there's business, AG and teaching just to name a few that are "extremely" important. But if you're gonna sell the notion of free college tuition to the American public...it has to revolve around degrees we really see a ROI with. I see no problem with asking kids to get a degree or trade skill that has immediate usefulness AND makes them some cash. With which they can then go back in a few years and get what they want. Seems reasonable to me. I'm not pooing on history or philo. degrees but should we be paying for them?

There is not enough job creation happening. I don't see how anyone supporting Bernie Sanders could believe huge taxation on business and job creators will do anything but hurt the already poor job growth.

If you tax away the American dream what incentive is there for an employer? What incentives are there to start a business if the profits are going to be taxed away? Maybe Bernie can get some students free college but then what? Where are they going to work at with no jobs to go to? Move to China?

I want to see an environment where young people have that American dream in front of them that if they work hard and smart and willing to risk their own money there can be a nice payoff. Without that incentive why would anyone even want to start a business?

90% is slightly less rich? Seriously? Some engineers may not be good at math?
**********************************************************************************
Search Results
Bernie Sanders And The 90% Income Tax Rate That He ...
www.forbes.com/.../bernie-sanders-and-the-90-income-tax-rate-th...
Forbes

Dec 18, 2015 - Bernie Sanders supporters seem to want to make it real clear that he will not be proposing a 90% income tax rate. Yesterday Vote Bernie ...

Bernie Sanders Backs Off From Support For A 90 Percent ...
thinkprogress.org/.../sanders-90-percent-tax-rate-debate/
ThinkProgress
Nov 16, 2015 - During the second Democratic presidential debate on Saturday evening, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) said he would not try to raise the top tax ...

Archived