THE BROWNS BOARD

Did Our Analytics FO Pay Attention?

TexasAg1969

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Browns and Broncos are at completely different stages of a team's life-cycle. The Broncos with a Superbowl Bust defense were still playoff contenders, and therefore were in a position where signing marquee free agents could make the difference between winning the Super Bowl or not. I'm not taking anything away from Elway. He did what was right for his team: he saw that Manning wouldn't be able to carry the Broncos anymore, and decided to put the load on the defense. He also knew Manning didn't have several years for the defense to develop young players, so he went out and signed proven veterans.

The Browns in hindsight have applied a similar formula, but because they are not playoff contenders, the formula failed them. They let a young player, T.J. Ward, go, in favor of an aging player, Donte Whitner. They brought in an aging linebacker in Dansby and lineman in Starks. The sum of their free agency moves is that they now have not only one of the worst defenses in the NFL, but the oldest. By the time the younger players on this team hit their prime, Whitner, Dansby, and Starks will be long gone. A few years from now, they will have missed the opportunity to have Whitner, Dansby, and Starks while they are productive AT THE SAME TIME as the players they drafted in the past two years hit their prime.

That's why the Browns need to build through the draft, have a crop of players within a few years of age of each other, and develop them together so when they all hit their prime the Browns can be a Super Bowl contender. You have to have this kind of overall strategy in building the team, you can't just jump into free agency to try and address the team's problems without looking ahead to the future. This year, they should only sign free-agents coming off their rookie deal. In three to four years, if we're a playoff team, THEN you can start getting older guys to get you over the hump.

to all you board members that still think our d is so good, you are crazy...they really stink, . slow, can't tackle, drop int's...cannot get a turnover to save their lives...and to the point that you made osiris, you are the most dead on than anyone else..go back and look at all these players that we had...mcginnis, he's going to the hof...we get him as a free agent when he's all withered up...couldn't do shit...delhomme...washed up when we got him... i remember some board member on another board boasting how delhomme was going to get the clowns to the playoffs and eventually the sb...phwwwwappp...yeah ok... WILLIS MGHEE...WHAT WAS THAT....no ligaments left..no knees left..guy was incredible at one time. who else...oh yeah...scott fujita, another slowwwwww lb....the grandpa from the eagles we got that had more grass stains on his ass from getting faked out and stunk up the field...can't remember his name...only his number was 24...i can name you many more...You want a good example of a good free agent aquisitions...mike turner when the falcons got him...he still had 3 good yrs left in him and he did produce before he finally went downhill..remember calvin hill...i thought that was a real good one also...he really did pretty good, and we got him maybe a little past his peak, but he did produce...don't think there were any analytics involved with the 2 i mentioned...

I know that's the popular story, Ag, I just have trouble accepting it.

Changes included HC and both OCs.

Both OCs brought with them new schemes.

Only 3 Offensive starters from the 2013 SB team started in 2015.

Three defensive starters plus a reserve from the 2013 SB team started in 2015.

Looks like they remade the team as a whole. Obviously the D turned out to be better, but how much of that was design vs. diminished QB play?

Thank you, thank you.

Why don't we hire John Elway then?

yikes!!

Browns fans typically don't care for J.E. very much Opal. Ol Horseface's elite QB play was instrumental in keeping the Browns out of the SB multiple years in the mid-late 80s...aka the last time they were consistently and perennially competitive.

a diehard friend of mine pissed all over the front doors of his restaurant his first night in Denver. that was somewhat recently. scars run deep for many.

personally, i respect Elway's talent but resent the Broncs beating the Browns in closing moments and then proceeding to lose in the SB...then doing it again the next year--both winnable games for the Browns. i could never root for his product. too taboo.

i wouldn't mind rooting for a productive copy cat version at all though...

The actual MVP of the game was the Broncos DT. I hope our analytics FO sees that the championship defense is built inside-out, with the glitzy players [the DB's] being less significant than the DT & DE.

And Malik Jackson is my #1 FA target since it will be hard for the Broncos to sign him under their cap even with franchising Von Miller.

Although I agree we should ask Jackson, I'd rather go for Damon Harrison. Harrison has been one of the best interior run defenders in the league recently, and him next to Shelton would not only free up our pick to be the QB, it would also solidify the DL to actualize what we've told ourselves it would be each of the last 2 offseasons.

Jackson made a ton of money with his play in the SB.. I bet Harrison is cheaper for more run-stopping performance. Plus, Shelton at NT eating double-teams will free up Harrison. Those two plus the Bryant who isn't a felon seems a pretty potent group.

Although I agree we should ask Jackson, I'd rather go for Damon Harrison. Harrison has been one of the best interior run defenders in the league recently, and him next to Shelton would not only free up our pick to be the QB, it would also solidify the DL to actualize what we've told ourselves it would be each of the last 2 offseasons.

Jackson made a ton of money with his play in the SB.. I bet Harrison is cheaper for more run-stopping performance. Plus, Shelton at NT eating double-teams will free up Harrison. Those two plus the Bryant who isn't a felon seems a pretty potent group.

yeah but think about adding a Bosa or Buckner to that group...now you've got the makings of a potentially elite defensive front for years to come.

FYI, I have been in the middle of a place where they exploded an atomic bomb.

My Dad flew a bomber that carried Atomic bombs before we had missiles(60's cold war).....so he spent most of his AF time up in the air flying "alert" , just in case......here to Spain and back again....over and over and over....always thought that was kinda cool, though Im not sure Id want to be anywhere near a place one of them blew up.....even years later....

yeah but think about adding a Bosa or Buckner to that group...now you've got the makings of a potentially elite defensive front for years to come.

If we're making the elusive "move to a 4-3" then yes. I don't think so, though.. Bryant the More Expensive was an expensive buy from the Raiders a couple years ago, and all the talk of "hybrid" seems more of a bizarre hypothesis in some now-fired coaches head rather than a roster reality.

My Dad flew a bomber that carried Atomic bombs before we had missiles(60's cold war).....so he spent most of his AF time up in the air flying "alert" , just in case......here to Spain and back again....over and over and over....always thought that was kinda cool, though Im not sure Id want to be anywhere near a place one of them blew up.....even years later....

I have been to the Trinity Site where the very first atom bomb was exploded. I have not noticed that I glow in the dark.

First_atomic_explosion.jpg

To soon to tell if the FO was paying attention but we can hope. Personally I think we could improve everywhere on the roster and every little improvement will help. The only problem with drafting is you just have to guess how all of them will transition to the pros. With free agents you just have to guess how they will transition from one system to another so free agency is not as big of a gamble.

To soon to tell if the FO was paying attention but we can hope. Personally I think we could improve everywhere on the roster and every little improvement will help. The only problem with drafting is you just have to guess how all of them will transition to the pros. With free agents you just have to guess how they will transition from one system to another so free agency is not as big of a gamble.

Id agree that FA is less of a gamble.....or, at least, should be.....BUT, if you make huge assumptions, then it can be trouble...

Examples: Assuming that a Housler can become something he never was......or.....Assuming that an old guy like Bowe would suddenly return to the form he had several years before.....

Those are gambles teams shouldnt take.....and the reason is that they aren't getting paid rookie money while we find out....

The other thing is motivation. There are guys whose chief motivation was the $$ AFTER that initial rookie contract, so they played their asses off early on to reach that pot of gold. Those guys whose chief motivation was MONEY (rather than pride and/or love of the game) are the ones who may go in the tank once they get the $$. Identifying them will be huge. I guess we'll just have to wait & see.

Mike

The club has two-plus months to set a draft board, work the combine and rejoin the NFL tradition of attending college "pro days," which former GM Ray Farmer seemed to give up for Lent.

Above is an excerpt from: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/the_position_the_cleveland_bro.html

I did not realize we had essentially stopped attending ProDays...

well then let's hope shady grady and his analytic team can do better than farmer and pettine who drafted D heavy for the last 2 years and got what out of it?????? man i've preached D since the time i've joined this board and it';s absolutely done nothing except keep them on the field longer because the offense is so inept.

franchise QB first pick i don't give a fuck what people say. yeah broncos won the super bowl and their d was the major reason why but could you see a manziel leading that team to victory? hells fucking no. someone old with brains who knew when to sit down and hand off was an also big contributor to their win.

and then there's the balls in her face. oooops!

The club has two-plus months to set a draft board, work the combine and rejoin the NFL tradition of attending college "pro days," which former GM Ray Farmer seemed to give up for Lent.

Above is an excerpt from: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/the_position_the_cleveland_bro.html

I did not realize we had essentially stopped attending ProDays...

We didnt.....except for Manziels, which they have been screaming about ever since.....but, unless he was drunk, it wouldnt have mattered.....

Archived