THE BROWNS BOARD

Former president of Haslam's Pilot Flying J family business indicted on fraud charges

Tour2ma

Linked article was referenced in a football column I was just reading. First new development in a while.

With this indictment of his President, and direct report, the rebate scandal is now officially at Jimmah's door.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2016/02/president_of_haslams_family_bu.html#incart_2box

I hadn't heard too much on this story since Haslam paid almost 100 million dollars in fines and thought this was over. From what I read if Haslam would be indicted he would be forced to step down as owner and his father would take over the team. Maybe there is a reason we see his wife now more involved with the Browns as well?

It just never ends with us.

Maybe there is a reason we see his wife now more involved with the Browns as well?

Interesting connection...

No one will be in a better position to know, and prove, CEO Haslam's knowledge of the "scheme", than his President. And that's a helluva bargaining chip to hold in plea negotiations.

I hadn't heard too much on this story since Haslam paid almost 100 million dollars in fines and thought this was over. From what I read if Haslam would be indicted he would be forced to step down as owner and his father would take over the team. Maybe there is a reason we see his wife now more involved with the Browns as well?

It just never ends with us.

His father? Is he alive? If so must be in his 90's.

He either pulled off one of the great smoke screens of all time, or he's dumber than a bag of hammers for not knowing what the hell was going on. I also hear that when Dee is in the building, things run tighter. I'm getting the impression that she wears the business pants and he's just one of the "good ole boys"

The rebate program has gotten in over it's head. I don't think anyone intentionally committed fraud. The people in place were too incompetent to handle such task on a huge level.

The Pilot rewards program is huge as well. So many ways to fraud the system on both sides. Let me explain.

A driver can earn Pilot points. For every gallon they purchase they receive one point. Let's say when you fuel up you get 200 gal that's two bucks. A driver can earn showers as well. Every 50 - 100 gal they get a free shower. That saves the driver 12 bucks.

Certain companies would get bonus points if they achieved a mileage goal for fueling up at Pilot.

With these points you can purchase anything that doesn't require an ID. No Tobacco or lottery you get the picture. But everything else is available.

Where the problem lies is the sucurity of the drivers points. The ID on the card is by phone number. So if you knew someone who had a lot of points they wouldn't ven have to have a pilot card, just a phone number.

My point ... There is too much everywhere and flaws in the system are going to happen. Pilot is huge and the amounts are staggering.

I think the FBI disagrees with you.

Grand jury indicts eight in Pilot Flying J investigation
Posted by Mike Florio on February 9, 2016, 3:48 PM EST
zz0ymtc0ywu1ymi4nwy3yzhhyzy3ownmntrhywuzAP

Dormant for months, the Pilot Flying J investigation has revved up again, in a significant way.

Via WBIR.com, a federal grand jury indicted eight former and current employees of the truck-stop conglomerate on Tuesday, including former president Mark Hazelwood.

Hazelwood, who faces three counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of witness tampering, has pleaded not guilty to all charges. The eight defendants were informed through their lawyers on Friday to expect the indictments.

For CEO (and Browns owner) Jimmy Haslam, who has not yet been indicted, the key question is whether Hazelwood at some point will change that not guilty plea to guilty, along with an agreement to testify against Haslam.

Hazelwood reported directly to Haslam, and two of the other defendants (V.P. of national accounts Scott Wombold and V.P. of sales Jon Freeman) reported directly to Haslam, based on an organizational chart posted on the WBIR.com Twitter page.

The scandal relates to the manipulation of a rebate program to prey upon unsophisticated customers. In 2014, the company itself struck a deal to avoid prosecution by agreeing to pay a monetary penalty of more than $92 million. The agreement regarding Pilot Flying J was negotiated by attorney Aubrey Harwell. Because he also represents Haslam personally, many has presumed that Haslam is as a practical matter immune from prosecution, even if technically no individuals are exempt.

Hazelwood clearly isn’t exempt, and if he’s in position to give up the kind of evidence that draws the man at the top of the pyramid into the cross hairs, the NFL could have to revisit the position that Haslam committed no violation of the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy. Otherwise, it would be conspicuous if Haslam is still permitted to attend the Scouting Combine or other league events, given the NFL’s new position on incoming players with criminal records.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought gas at Pilot when I was traveling last week. Does that make me a bad person?

Only if you have a Grand Jury date to be determined in Dallas. After all we don't want anyone without charges yet associated with this team, except of course the owner.

I bought gas at Pilot when I was traveling last week. Does that make me a bad person?

Nah... your dis'ing of Goff makes you a bad person...

No. I have liked Pilot stations for a long time before Haslam bought the team. Some are kind of dumpy, but for the majority they are well maintained, have clean restrooms, and have some decent food on the go options, eliminating a double stop. Most have a food name brand or two on site in addition to the food options Pilot offers, which aren't all that bad if the name brand store is closed.

No. I have liked Pilot stations for a long time before Haslam bought the team. Some are kind of dumpy, but for the majority they are well maintained, have clean restrooms, and have some decent food on the go options, eliminating a double stop. Most have a food name brand or two on site in addition to the food options Pilot offers, which aren't all that bad if the name brand store is closed.

I was down by you over the last couple of weeks. Went through Chattanooga going and coming from Alabama/Fla/Ga.

The Pilots there mostly had Subway's attached.

I am not dissing Goff....I am merely relaying what others have said about him....and the other QBs out there. So, in your view it is they who are the bad persons.

I shoot messengers... or at least call them out...

Archived