THE BROWNS BOARD

Canadian douche berates USA and gets shut down by ESPN reporter

DieHardBrownsFan

Glad to see the ESPN reporter cut him off... I follow politics about as much as anyone but you don't need to interject politics into everything. There is a time and place for everything.

I agree. I also feel the same about religion.

I agree. I also feel the same about religion.

Might surprise you but I don't disagree with you (to a point). I don't believe being pushy about anything is good and tends to turn many people off and is counter productive. As a Christian we are called to witness but for me that means looking for opportunities and openings and being respectful there are others who don't share my beliefs.

I remember a few years ago standing in a long line at a baseball game waiting to get inside and it was close to 100 degrees with high humidity and a church was handing out cold pop and bottled water with some tracts to those in line who wanted it. I can tell you everyone in line appreciated that and I thought that was a cool thing to do by this church.

Did the title to this thread change?

I wonder what the sentiment wold be if ESPN cutoff someone talking about their conservative beliefs

If the ESPN policy is not to bring politics into sports than that would mean both conservative and liberal...dont ya think?

Anyway if she hadn't cut him off, a few seconds more and we would have been hearing about "feel the Bern".

yeah but woody brings up an excellent point, even people who are not conservative are mostly annoyed with this douche. But if the reporter cut him off mid haysoos rant....the sputtering rage from conservatives would come through our screens and suck the air from the room. They would not be annoyed that some dude was using an inappropriate time....they would just nod in agreement with him and say yeah fuck liberals. But when some guy is inappropriately soap boxing about something they don't give fuck one about, it's all about hey can you beleive this hipster douche? There is no intellectual consistency anymore on the right. They've devolved into boiler plating shills with zero ability to discern their own behavior patterns. And then they wonder why there's a culture war after decades of do as we say not as we do.

The principle is, censoring different opinions because you don't like them.

This is espn, and sports is the subject.

It doesn't matter if it is on one side of politics or the other.

Libs don't get principles. They just try to invent claims that "if so and so, then conservatives would...."

to mitigate the significance of the subject.

Based on principle, what idiot rails politically on ESPN ?

Might surprise you but I don't disagree with you (to a point). I don't believe being pushy about anything is good and tends to turn many people off and is counter productive. As a Christian we are called to witness but for me that means looking for opportunities and openings and being respectful there are others who don't share my beliefs.

I remember a few years ago standing in a long line at a baseball game waiting to get inside and it was close to 100 degrees with high humidity and a church was handing out cold pop and bottled water with some tracts to those in line who wanted it. I can tell you everyone in line appreciated that and I thought that was a cool thing to do by this church.

unexpected reply. What I mean, basically, is people - and this is something you notice a lot more in the NFL, for example - just interjecting their religion of choice in an interview. Like, "So, timmy, you played a great game today, do you think you can keep it up through the playoffs? Well, I just try to work my hardest and go out there and perform, every day I just praise god I'm in this position..." that kind of thing, that's what bothers me.

unexpected reply. What I mean, basically, is people - and this is something you notice a lot more in the NFL, for example - just interjecting their religion of choice in an interview. Like, "So, timmy, you played a great game today, do you think you can keep it up through the playoffs? Well, I just try to work my hardest and go out there and perform, every day I just praise god I'm in this position..." that kind of thing, that's what bothers me.

It doesn't bother me as long as it is sincere. Even as a Christian if an NFL player was Muslim and was thanking Allah it would not bother me. I give more leeway to a person's faith than I would their politics. Many times it is just a natural way for these people to speak and I don't believe it is more than that. Their faith is that big of a part of their life.

I just don't see politics in the same light and I hate celebrities, athletes and entertainers using their fame as a platform to promote their preference in politics. I don't have a problem with them going on political shows or an appropriate avenue to share their political views but if someone is at their concert and they are spouting off politics my thoughts are most people did not come there to hear politics they came to hear you sing. Shut up and sing. I have seen actors and celebrities go on Fox or MSNBC and express their views and I am for that but when they are at an awards ceremony and they should be giving an acceptance speech and use their time to spout politics I don't care for it. The celebrity basketball player here is a good example. Even if he has strong political beliefs that was not the place to express them. The audience was there to watch basketball and not a political rally.

Equally, most people do not go to NFL games (or listen to the interviews afterwards) to hear religion they came to watch the game and listen to analysis of the game.

I don't want to shut down free speech to try and stop speech I don't agree with. One of the very few things I agree with the ACLU about is the answer to speech you don't like is to have more speech (and not try to shut down speech you don't like).

I don't want to shut down free speech to try and stop speech I don't agree with. One of the very few things I agree with the ACLU about is the answer to speech you don't like is to have more speech (and not try to shut down speech you don't like).

So, the guy on ESPN should have been allowed to speak?

It's not that I don't agree with it, it's that it's irrelevant, and keeps being brought up at every point. Have whatever religion you want, just keep it to yourself. And while you may be open minded about it, you can bet your bottom dollar that if some kid starts going on about "I'm just so glad Allah gave me these gifts" there'd be plenty of pissed off people.

So, the guy on ESPN should have been allowed to speak?

It's not that I don't agree with it, it's that it's irrelevant, and keeps being brought up at every point. Have whatever religion you want, just keep it to yourself. And while you may be open minded about it, you can bet your bottom dollar that if some kid starts going on about "I'm just so glad Allah gave me these gifts" there'd be plenty of pissed off people.

If ESPN has a policy not to allow political speech in their sports coverage than they had every right to shut the celebrity basketball player down when he started talking politics. So in this case no he should not have been able to use ESPN as a platform to express his political beliefs. ESPN just needs to be consistent and fair that is applied evenly.

I give more leeway in a person's faith. ESPN apparently doesn't have this policy on not allowing a person to express their personal faith with their coverage. The reason to me is obvious that there would be a huge backlash if they shut down someone thanking the Lord or Allah and it would cost them revenue which is the bottom line for a private business. If they did however have that policy they would be within their rights to cut someone off if they speak about their faith because that person would be violating their policy. They then would have to face the backlash of maybe losing viewers and lost revenue. Also if ESPN had a policy of not allowing someone to speak about their faith than that person should be able to refuse interviews from ESPN after a game.

If someone can thank Jesus than another person can thank Allah, that would be fair.

If ESPN has a policy not to allow political speech in their sports coverage than they had every right to shut the celebrity basketball player down when he started talking politics. So in this case no he should not have been able to use ESPN as a platform to express his political beliefs. ESPN just needs to be consistent and fair that is applied evenly.

I was just having a joke with you. It was completely the wrong time to start preaching on ESPN.

If someone can thank Jesus than another person can thank Allah, that would be fair.

True, but the NFL isn't really the place for espousing your faith. To be honest, there's not really many places outside of the religious institutions that I see as the right place for it.

most of the time the religious talk is literally a second as the guy thanks the almighty sauron. If it were to extend into some kind of sermon I would hope they nick that too. Still don't really see why some Canadian citizen felt the need to politically sermonize on court after a stupid fucking celebrity basketball game. No one cares. ANd no one is going to say "omg this arcade fire dude brings up really good points".

It doesn't bother me. If an atheist athlete said after a game since he didn't have any faith in God he wanted to thank himself for his own hard work and training I wouldn't care.

I would be annoyed he'd decided to bring it up. It's not to do with believing in any religion or another, it's about using the platform you have as an athlete (or whatever) to push your own personal message/agenda.

most of the time the religious talk is literally a second as the guy thanks the almighty sauron. If it were to extend into some kind of sermon I would hope they nick that too. Still don't really see why some Canadian citizen felt the need to politically sermonize on court after a stupid fucking celebrity basketball game. No one cares. ANd no one is going to say "omg this arcade fire dude brings up really good points".

Off the top of my head, before the SB, Cam was talking about the criticism he gets, and he started his answer by saying "I'm not perfect, there was only one perfect person to ever have lived and we all know who that is..." I'm assuming he didn't mean Roger Staubach.

It doesn't bother me. If an atheist athlete said after a game since he didn't have any faith in God he wanted to thank himself for his own hard work and training I wouldn't care.

omg I can't wait for that to happen. I would be rolling. "I'd like to give myself a nice big Kevin Sullivan pat on the back for all my hardwork, cause god won't cause there ain't no god and all"......I would piss myself silly.

I would be annoyed he'd decided to bring it up. It's not to do with believing in any religion or another, it's about using the platform you have as an athlete (or whatever) to push your own personal message/agenda.

But is getting annoyed enough to try and shut down speech? I just tend to ignore someone rambling about something I don't agree with or change the channel. You have to remember as well if someone says something that is offensive as an athlete they can be punished by losing endorsements or other things that may cost them financial loss.

But is getting annoyed enough to try and shut down speech? I just tend to ignore someone rambling about something I don't agree with or change the channel. You have to remember as well if someone says something that is offensive as an athlete they can be punished by losing endorsements or other things that may cost them financial loss.

You talk about 'shutting down speech' as if we're censoring people, and punishing them for expressing their views. I'm saying, there's a time and a place - if you're breaking down your performance after a game, or responding to criticism of your actions, it's not the time. If you want to go and talk religion on whatever religion show, or politics on whatever politics show, then go for it. Or, you know, twitter.

Not everything is an 'attack on free speech' like you've been led to believe.

Archived