THE BROWNS BOARD

When you are scouting a prospect on tape, who is diverting your attention?

Tour2ma

Is this happening to you? If so, who?

Always happens to me sooner or later...

I'm breaking down some OL and I keep hearing the announcers mention a name over and over and... Often a name I do not know/never had an interest in. Pretty soon I am fighting to keep my attention on my intended.

Might be another offensive player...

Might be a defender...

Has happened twice so far to me.

The first was a ND WR named Amir Carlisle... 5th year Senior... 5'10 190

Low production... low mileage... seems destined to be an UDFA.

Kid was freaking electric vs. Texas and flashed vs. Clemson and our Buckeyes to boot.

The 2nd was Ole Miss QB, Chad Kelly... Jim Kelly's nephew... 6'2 215 r/Sr.

Other than a couple inches (and a couple of "run-ins" with the law) the kid appears to have a good shot at being a complete QB. Looks a lot like Uncle Jim in his play. DraftScout has him as their early, 2017-Class' #1 QB.

I'm breaking down some OL and I keep hearing the announcers mention a name over and over and... Often a name I do not know/never had an interest in. Pretty soon I am fighting to keep my attention on my intended.

Might be a defender...

Kid was freaking electric vs. Texas and flashed vs. Clemson and our Buckeyes to boot.

Other than a couple inches (and a couple of "run-ins" with the law) the kid appears to have a good shot at being a complete QB. Looks a lot like Uncle Jim in his play. DraftScout has him as their early, 2017-Class' #1 QB.

Saw Kelly a couple of times this season and liked what I saw. Not surprised at that early rating after the bowl game blowout of Ok.St.

Just added one...

Devine Redding (IU) hard-running little RB for the Hoosiers Class of 2018. Got time when Howard was hurt in 2015. Field vision looks spectacular.

Checked out some J. Ramsey tape and Florida State has 2 of em....Lamarcus Brutus, hard hitting safety with an awesome name.....and Terrance Smith, OLB.....both guys Id take a late round waiver on or snap up as UDFA's....

Just watched some of Brutus' play. He puts it on people for sure. I hadn't even heard of the kid before you mentioned him.

Might be a defender...

Chad Kelly is the man.

He's no Dr. Bo, but he's still good.

Tyler Matakevich Temple ILB 6'0 233

Scouting ND's Nick Martin and this kid is making plays all over. I'd never heard of him, but turns out he's DraftScout's #4 ILB prospect with a second half of Day Two projection.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124196&draftyear=2016&genpos=OLB

only thing that distracts me from tv is the person wearing a moo moo eating bon bons in the other room. thank god for wifi and multiple dvrs. if not i'd be watching the fidget wives of cali or some other bitch show until the sawed-off get's pulled out.

640_littlewomen_ae.jpg

Meanwhile back at the topic...

Cheated a little and spent some time watching Hunter Henry (AR) TE... In a word, wow...

Kid is 6'5 250+ and glides through pass routes. Saw him run a square in that was so sharp it'd have made a smurf proud. Good hands although did tend to body catch. Only real receiving needs seems to be learning how to read so he can figure out when and where to settle.

Blocking looks good with OT Jr. technique. Handled a couple Edge rushers all by himself. No problem finding and handling run blocking assignments.

I know Barn hadda year... etc., etc... but that was one... and it came from left field.... and it did not include blocking.

In this kid you have three or four years of no concern with the position.

Meanwhile back at the topic...

Cheated a little and spent some time watching Hunter Henry (AR) TE... In a word, wow...

Kid is 6'5 250+ and glides through pass routes. Saw him run a square in that was so sharp it'd have made a smurf proud. Good hands although did tend to body catch. Only real receiving needs seems to be learning how to read so he can figure out when and where to settle.

Blocking looks good with OT Jr. technique. Handled a couple Edge rushers all by himself. No problem finding and handling run blocking assignments.

I know Barn hadda year... etc., etc... but that was one... and it came from left field.... and it did not include blocking.

In this kid you have three or four years of no concern with the position.

Another good one, who is more "affordable is Tyler Higbee......absolutely love this kid as mid round pick.....

Another good one, who is more "affordable is Tyler Higbee......absolutely love this kid as mid round pick.....

lol... and I like Vannett as well.

Oh well... What's one more thread? TEs are a part of the O-line after all...

Just read that Akron Linebacker Jatavis Brown was the star of the regional combine this weekend and ran a 4.4....so I looked him up and liked what I saw...small, but lightening fast and MAC defensive player of the year.....dude can definitely pursue and catch ya!

Checked out some J. Ramsey tape and Florida State has 2 of em....Lamarcus Brutus, hard hitting safety with an awesome name.....and Terrance Smith, OLB.....both guys Id take a late round waiver on or snap up as UDFA's....

One thing about FSU players is that they are often very productive players in the NFL as well. I like Terrance Smith also FWIW

oooof. forgot. post/pres-season garble is so important that you can't make fun or have a laugh because someone might take it is an insult to their logical question posted a week after the final game of the season.

film room? isn't that where your dad and his buddies that hung out and made my life miserable would come in and sit around with snacks and drinks the wife made while watching the 'swedish eroctica' series (vannessa del rio tape was always sticking?) on video.

great fun for kids on a sunday after doing your godly duties.

Just watched some of Brutus' play. He puts it on people for sure. I hadn't even heard of the kid before you mentioned him.

One of the things about him is that he was behind Jalen Ramsey, so really never was a starter and missed out on some playing time.....BUT...still led his team in INT's and was third in tackles....impressive....

Tyler Matakevich Temple ILB 6'0 233

Scouting ND's Nick Martin and this kid is making plays all over. I'd never heard of him, but turns out he's DraftScout's #4 ILB prospect with a second half of Day Two projection.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124196&draftyear=2016&genpos=OLB

My dad is a Temple grad. I got to see a fair bit of him. Tackling machine and generally in on every play.

Just read that Akron Linebacker Jatavis Brown was the star of the regional combine this weekend and ran a 4.4....so I looked him up and liked what I saw...small, but lightening fast and MAC defensive player of the year.....dude can definitely pursue and catch ya!

a Myles Jack Jr. @ 5'11"222lbs. whined him up a let him go. Dude can ball as a 3 yr. MAC DPOY!!

Seems like NFL Network or someone is missing out by not broadcasting at least the highlights of these regionals, if not, a general broadcast.

Couple of TarHeels...

Elijah Hood (RB) 6'0 220 w/ very fast feet. 2018 prospect unless declares early. Very determined runner.

Ryan Switzer (WR) 5'10 185 *cough* undersized, but extremely quick and fast.

Might be a defender...

On defense, CAN he do the following:

Show me first step instinct/nose for the ball?

Tackle?

Shed blocks?

Play with leverage/ideal pad height?

Keep his head up?

Demonstrate the scheme at hand - ie; slant, 2 gap, stunt/blitz, etc?

Exemplify position specific skills?

Rise to a challenge or whip a quality prospect's ass?

Overcome adversity?

Give it 100%?

Cause turnovers?

Be a reason play around him is efficient/escalating to another level?

Do the little things that add up?

On offense, CAN he:

Get off the the ball quickly?

Play with leverage?

Demo position specific skills/fundamentals?

Offer chemistry?

Block?

Secure the football?

Catch?

Get separation?

Run nice routes?

Score TDs?

See better than Ronnie Milsap if he's the next bionic armed QB?

Give it his all on every play?

Rise to a challenge?

Get many challenges on tape?

Respond to adversity?

Be a reason play around him is efficient/escalating to another level?

Do the little things that add up (ie; what IF Webster Slaughter decided to throw a block on Jeremiah Castillo or just obstruct him - would there have been anyone to pry the ball out of Byner's hands before the goal line? There's an example of how important playing til the whistle can be.)

Football is such a huge on-going self evaluation process that I've often trained my eyes to look for the negatives. Did I over-extend? Keep a wide-base? Did my stance show a lean to tip off a trap or a pull? Did I let myself get baited into going for a kill shot? Was I getting off the ball to where I was first to contact? Did I make the right call when a LBer stacked behind the defensive linemen? Naturally, I do this with prospects which isn't always easy when sometimes you only get the greatest moments or just 1-2 matchups for some guys.

Watching big 10 OL men is impossible against Illinois. Want a mid/late round DE how about a 6'5" 296 load of Jihad Ward pops off the TV screen. This guy is involved in every damn tackle.

Archived