THE BROWNS BOARD

South Carolina GOP Debate

OldBrownsFan

I wasn't impressed with this debate. Way too much attacking of each other going on and not enough focus on attacking Obama and Clinton. I think Trump has a point of the republican establishment stacking the audiences of these debates as he could say nothing to get any kind of good response but was howled loudly when he went after Bush or Rubio in particular.

I give the debate to Rubio. He put to bed the bad performance of the last debate. Cruz as usual was solid. Jeb did alright. Kasich and Carson didn't stand out except for mostly staying out of the Rubio, Bush, Cruz and Trump fight. Trump made some really good points but he jumped the shark on attacking George Bush. Bush is popular in SC and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Attacking Bush for the Iraq war is one thing but saying Bush lied about weapons of mass destruction is something only the hard left does and Trump using that argument only reinforces the argument he is not truly conservative. I thought Trump made some good points about China taking over the Chicago Stock Exchange and Carrier's announcement to it's employees they were moving the company to Mexico.

I missed it. Trump isn't a conservative - I fear he's whatever he wants to be,

which can change any time it suits him.

Like electing Jesse Ventura as gov of Minnesota,...

makes no sense, but the defiant, phoney bluster gets

attention via shrewdly designed pandering.

Most of the talking heads were giving the debate to Rubio and I would agree. I do think however Trump was impressive at times and if he would not have went after George Bush the way he did I would have given the debate to him. My problem with Trump is that I like what he is saying now on many things but it wasn't that long ago he was polar opposite claiming it was his "New York values".

They should try to get an equal amount of supporters of each candidate in the audience of these debates because the bias against Trump was blatant and obvious. It seems peculiar the candidate with a 20 point lead over the rest of the field would have so little support in the audience.

My biggest issue with Trump is that I don't trust him. With all the other candidates if they were elected you have an idea of how they would govern but Trump has been all over the map. I did like Trump bringing up Carrier Air Conditioning moving it's operations to Mexico. It was sickening to watch:

This is capitalism. You take the bad with the good. Globalization means that companies will find the cheapest labor and lowest taxes possible.

This is capitalism. You take the bad with the good. Globalization means that companies will find the cheapest labor and lowest taxes possible.

I agree with Trump on this. We need better trade deals. We need tax incentives to keep business here. We have had way too many businesses relocate out of the country and it has to stop.

Lower tax rates to keep business here or even penalize companies moving out of the country but this is crazy letting all our business just leave. Where does this leave American workers?

I agree with Trump on this. We need better trade deals. We need tax incentives to keep business here. We have had way too many businesses relocate out of the country and it has to stop.

Lower tax rates to keep business here or even penalize companies moving out of the country but this is crazy letting all our business just leave. Where does this leave American workers?

How much control do you want to vest with the government to manipulate the economy? We are never going to be able to offer tax incentives that can compete with the third world.

How much control do you want to vest with the government to manipulate the economy? We are never going to be able to offer tax incentives that can compete with the third world.

China does a lot of manipulating of it's economy and we need to have better trade deals. Free trade is good but fair trade is best. Businesses move out of the country where they can pay workers a couple dollars an hour, no health care, no retirement and escape our countries environmental regulations. The american workers cannot compete with that. I agreed with Perot in 92 on this and I am with Trump on getting more fair trading with other countries;

China does a lot of manipulating of it's economy and we need to have better trade deals. Free trade is good but fair trade is best. Businesses move out of the country where they can pay workers a couple dollars an hour, no health care, no retirement and escape our countries environmental regulations. The american workers cannot compete with that. I agreed with Perot in 92 on this and I am with Trump on getting more fair trading with other countries;

We could move it back here but are the American people willing to pay for the significant price increase to every product they purchase?

The only way that manufacturing will come back here is if the entire third world finally steps up to at least the 2nd world and they demand wages that would be on par with what U.S. labor would be asking. China is already seeing that manufacturing is moving to places like Bangladesh, Cambodia, etc. because Chinese labor is starting to get a taste of first world living and want to keep going.

We could move it back here but are the American people willing to pay for the significant price increase to every product they purchase?

If it involves the American people getting a little more coin into their own pockets with the return of better manufacturing positions, my bet is they absolutely will.

Highlights of the debate

Trump/Bush exchange -

• Trump gets booed for saying that there were no WMDs in Iraq (maybe the audience thinks we're still searching for them).
  • Bush whines about criticism of his brother and dad as if somehow their presidencies are above scrutiny.
  • Bush says that his mom is the strongest woman he knows. Trump chimes in with "She should be running"
  • Bush says his brother kept us safe. Trump responds with "The World Trade Center came down during your brother's reign. Remember that."

Audience hated trump, but he was absolutely savage and Bush was BTFO. It makes me so happy to see Trump call out the crowd with their heads so far up their asses that they're going to boo a guy when he is literally stating facts.

Rubio/Cruz exchange - Can't say I expected Spanish to be spoken on stage at a GOP debate, but man, that was fucking hilarious on Cruz's part and it killed the point Rubot was trying to make.

Trump defending Planned Parenthood - So refreshing to see someone in a Republican debate who doesn't treat the issue as black and white. 3% of their funding goes to abortion. That 3% should absolutely not forfeit the other 97% of their funding. Doing so would be a public health disaster.

It looks like Trump is starting his heel turn face in preparation for the general election. And to the shills in the crowd, here's a CBS poll of who won the debate (spoiler - it's not Jeb). If he wins SC, it's all over for the establishment. GG, shills.

6P8TZ22.jpg

Not a Trump supporter but he does have the deck stacked against him in these debates when they have an audience full of supporters of the other candidates and he has very few. In South Carolina he leads the field by close to 20 points but you would never know that the way Trump got booed every time he would say anything about the establishment candidates. If you watch the debates it gives a very negative perception of Trump (because of all the booing by the audience) and it is misleading. I think the establishment in the GOP who desperately want Trump out of the race want it this way.

Not a Trump supporter but he does have the deck stacked against him in these debates when they have an audience full of supporters of the other candidates and he has very few. In South Carolina he leads the field by close to 20 points but you would never know that the way Trump got booed every time he would say anything about the establishment candidates. If you watch the debates it gives a very negative perception of Trump (because of all the booing by the audience) and it is misleading. I think the establishment in the GOP who desperately want Trump out of the race want it this way.

Even normal Republicans don't cheer for GW Bush and the Iraq war. Definitely stacked audience with the money.

These debates really shouldn't even have audiences. Feels like a high school pep rally.

Even normal Republicans don't cheer for GW Bush and the Iraq war. Definitely stacked audience with the money.

These debates really shouldn't even have audiences. Feels like a high school pep rally.

This one may hurt Trump though for a couple of reasons. George Bush is very popular in South Carolina and although many now with hindsight say the war in Iraq was a mistake most people don't hold Bush responsible for 9-11 or lying about weapons of mass destruction. Our CIA, British intelligence and Israeli intelligence all thought Hussein had those weapons. Hussein himself tried to make the world believe he had them. The seeds of 9-11 were well in place under Bill Clinton and only carried out in Bush's term. I think Trump crossed a line on that but we'll see.

The audience at the debates need to realize those debates are primarily for the television viewing audience and their constant cheering and booing is distracting.

This one may hurt Trump though for a couple of reasons. George Bush is very popular in South Carolina and although many now with hindsight say the war in Iraq was a mistake most people don't hold Bush responsible for 9-11 or lying about weapons of mass destruction. Our CIA, British intelligence and Israeli intelligence all thought Hussein had those weapons. Hussein himself tried to make the world believe he had them. The seeds of 9-11 were well in place under Bill Clinton and only carried out in Bush's term. I think Trump crossed a line on that but we'll see.

The audience needs to realize those debates are primarily for the television viewing audience and their constant cheering and booing is distracting.

It probably will, but his lead is so big he'll probably still win SC.

It was pretty obvious he started to shift gears to general election mode rather than tea party mode which is what SC wants.

And bin laden was a threat under Clinton and they knew Al Qaeda was planning to attack the US, but Bush also had several daily briefings that said an attack was imminent nearly as soon as he was inaugurated - but he ignored them until like September 7th when he finally met with the intelligence people.

He's definitely not immune to criticism for it.

Archived