THE BROWNS BOARD

The Schwartz

gftChris

Is on twitter, giving a breakdown of SB film. Interesting stuff if you're in to that kind of thing.

https://twitter.com/MitchSchwartz72

This is from the 1st drive of the Super Bowl and is one of the best + cleanest runs you'll see. I'll break down why.

I liked his point about the RB not stuttering... ours did that... a lot.

In fact it seems our best runs were putting a hat on a hat with the RB looking for a straight ahead crease to get through rather than "stuttering, sputtering" along the LOS and finally getting tackled sideways for little or no gain,.

The zombie apocalypse must be nigh. Tour is a tweeter. :blink:

and a piss poor one at that... lol.

Checked for a reply earlier (there wasn't one). But I read my tweet and my editing attempt to stay in the limit kinda made the message a less-than-clear mess...

Mitch probably thinks I'm a stalker now...

and a piss poor one at that... lol.

Checked for a reply earlier (there wasn't one). But I read my tweet and my editing attempt to stay in the limit kinda made the message a less-than-clear mess...

Mitch probably thinks I'm a stalker now...

Next time just tweet. "plz stay". That should confirm your stalker status. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Schwartz, one of the best right tackles in the game, is looking to make the kind of money usually reserved for left tackles.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/cleveland_browns_mitchell_schwartz.html

Can only hope our FO is letting him test his market value and is still in the mix.

• Top LTs make $10.5 to 13.2mm/yr.
  • Top RTs make $6 to 7mm/yr.

There is one outlier RT at $11.3mm, Philly's Lane Johnson, who was extended after year 2 of his rookie contract by Chip to be the LT of the future behind 34-yo, Jason Peters.

I have grown to like Mitch, but can't see him as our future LT... Make him the top paid RT? Sure... with a hefty guaranteed percentage to boot. But not LT money...

He has been angling for this for a while now, talking about how teams have two dominant edge rushers, so the RT is just as important as the LT.

Von Miller, Justin Houston, Khalil Mack, JJ Watt, Carlos Dunlap, Cliff Avril (among others) all rush my side...

https://twitter.com/MitchSchwartz72/status/699605878593302528

He has been angling for this for a while now, talking about how teams have two dominant edge rushers, so the RT is just as important as the LT.

Von Miller, Justin Houston, Khalil Mack, JJ Watt, Carlos Dunlap, Cliff Avril (among others) all rush my side...

https://twitter.com/MitchSchwartz72/status/699605878593302528

That'd be my argument as well... going into negotiations as his agent.

But the counterpoint is you can help one OT more times than not.

I wonder if Farmer should go down as the worst GM in NFL history.

I know Matt Millen is the standard, and he had a longer reign, but it is remarkable how badly one can fuck over an organization in two years given the coffer of money and draft picks he was handed.

And I still don't get what his "plan" was.

When he gave his mid-season presser, he was sweaty and evasive. He also kept saying that they were going to "continue doing what they were doing." But what were they doing?? Does anyone know?

Build through the draft? OK, great plan, but if you are the worst drafter in the world, you need a backup plan to allow the team to remain competitive.

Re-sign young talent? I haven't seen a Cleveland Brown play past January 5th in a generation, but there was 2010 second round pick T.J. Ward delivering a superb performance in the Super Bowl, while playing injured, after once again showing he is one of the few players in the league who can stop Gronkowski the week before. On the other side of the field in that game was 2011 second round pick Jabal Sheard who seamlessly took his 8 sacks and four forced fumbles to AFC power NE while Farmer filled that hole with .... Ladies and Gentleman ... Scott Solomon. And when Solomon got hurt, the plan was ... oh shit, we don't have to play Mingo do we? Yes these two studs coming into the prime of their career were allowed to walk out the door so that we could replace them with a 31 year old stop gap and career fringe player who would have started for no other other team.

Lock up players before they hit their contract year? I know, it's a novel approach. Winning teams do it all the time, the Browns don't want to commit money because ... they are waiting for the guy to get injured or something?

Which brings me to Exhibit A, the man atop this topic ... Mitchell Schwartz.

Like Ward and Sheard, but even moreso, Schwartz is an example of an precious early round pick that we nailed. With an All-Pro fixture at Left tackle, and an up-and-coming stud at center, the Browns may have burned the two the first round picks in 2012 in record fashion (Until 2014 happened), but they nailed their second rounder by taking Right Tackle Mitchell Schwartz with the 5th pick in the second round, #37 overall. Intelligent player, with the right size and all the tools, Schwartz was a bit of a project at first, which is common for both second round picks and young offensive lineman, but he played, he learned, he got better. He never missed a snap. And by his fourth year, his contract year, he blossomed into one of the top right tackles in the entire league. Now at 26, at the top of his game, healthy and prime, he is, of course, going to get a suit case of cash, perhaps beyond what any right tackle has ever received. And deservedly so. But my question is ... why didn't Farmer go hard after this guy in 2014, during his third year, when still hadn't peaked, but was developing into a fixture? We had the means, and we had the leverage ... give him more upfront money now, and ease his concern of going through another season and a half risking injury. He was for the taking. You have no competitors to drive the price up at that point. You picked this guy high, you put the time and money into him, now have faith that he is going to be exactly what your organization thought he was going to be when they drafted him and get him locked up on a second contract before he hits the last year of his first. It would have been a hell of a lot cheaper, and the only downside would have been he gets to third contract a year younger ... let the analytics worry about that at the time. Oh, that's right, Farmer sent the analytics people to the basement because he thought they were nerds.

And don't even get me started on Alex Mack.

You could have picked anyone on the Browns Board, even Poetic G, OK, maybe not Poetic G, yes EVEN Poetic G, and made them the GM of the Browns for the last two years and the franchise would be handing over a better team in stronger shape to the new front office.

Farmer hit the GM lottery. He had 4 first round picks, 2 seconds, and 4 thirds in two years ... plus three more 4th rounders, and total access to Jimmy Haslem's bank account with cap space out the wazoo ... and it's all gone. Danny Shelton is going to try and get into shape, and Gary Fucking Barnidge is on board. Bitonio seems like a nice pick and Joe Thomas surprisingly hasn't left. That's about what Sashi and the boys are being handed.

I'll be surprised when Farmer gets work in the NFL again. Maybe as an area scout.

Zombo

Ironic you mention Matt Millen as the comparison, given the huge disparity in affection for WRs.

Yes, one couldn't get enough of them and one considered them an afterthought.

Both idiots.

Just draft a good one every couple of years.

Zombo

Awesome Z, To add in 2014/15 Farmer Got Mack to bring back a piece of paper from Jags for his only extension. In 2015 his only extension John Hughes. Guys Farmer put in & out the door. Ben Tate, Vince Young, T. West(Balt.), S. Draughn (9ers), Fozzy Whitaker(Car.), Marqueis Gray (Bills), Dion Lewis(Pats), Willie Snead (Saints), Shane Wynn(Atl.), Charles Johnson (Minn.) 2 Guys from Seahawks M. Bowie & Tory Slater which never played. Cut D'Quell Jackson (Colts). I think we have found a new #1 worst GM..

Archived