THE BROWNS BOARD

Should Browns be thinking of trading Gordon?

Alkid3

Salary wise, we have him this year....and next season he will be a restricted FA, meaning we can match any offers.....If he returns to form this season, Id expect a nice contract offer, with lots of conditions(and zero guaranteed money).....IE ....he'll get the big bucks, but only if he's here and playing....

I believe he is ours for two years... period.

Original 4-year contract 2012 through 2015, but both his 2014 and 2015 years failed to accrue.

• Obviously 2015 due the full-year suspension.
  • 2014 due to his one-game, week-17 suspension for being late. Left him with only 5 game appearances in 2014... one shy of the 6 needed for contract accrual.
That said, should he produce for us in 2016, then I negotiate a big $$$ extension... with all suitable safeguards of course.

Gordon was a such a huge disappointment a couple of season ago. I remember we were sitting at 6-3, first place in the division and I couldn't wait for Gordon to complete his 10 game suspension as I thought for sure he was going to help us win the division in the last six games of the season.

There with you, but as much as I loved Hoyer part of Gordon's disappointment is on Brian. He simply did not have the arm to hit Josh 50-yards downfield as Wheezy and Campbell did in 2013. That left Josh with bubble screens, quick slants and 15-yd square-ins... all of which are considerably less productive, yet more painful, than sideline flies. After a time I think Josh's enthusiasm was curtailed.

Add the lack of time together and the pressure Hoyer felt to involve Josh to save the season for the team and himself, and the disappointment cocktail was ready to be served.

Plus there was a bad influence on the team that I suspect was in Josh's ear... but that's history as well...

Bottom line: I think the stage is set for a truly fresh start in 2016...

I believe he is ours for two years... period.

Original 4-year contract 2012 through 2015, but both his 2014 and 2015 years failed to accrue.

• Obviously 2015 due the full-year suspension.
  • 2014 due to his one-game, week-17 suspension for being late. Left him with only 5 game appearances in 2014... one shy of the 6 needed for contract accrual.
That said, should he produce for us in 2016, then I negotiate a big $$$ extension... with all suitable safeguards of course.

Im pretty sure he'll be an RFA in 2017.....which happens at the 3 year mark, not 4......

So, technically he would have been an RFA last year and UFA this year, but that was pushed back to RFA...then with the added suspension, that got pushed back again....to 2017....

I understand he's appealing this, but no way they'll rule in his favor....

Sure, and when he goes on to have a Chris Carter level career elsewhere, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass. We won't get anything for him, and he's still on his cheap rookie deal

which is why I said "only" if we get something nice. What your def of nice is I dunno. I would think a 1st or high 2nd rounder might be worth it. I mean has his status changed at all? He is one strike away from perma ban no?

The talent-poor Browns do not have the luxury of trading away a talent as great as Gordon. Granted, he's one spark away from getting kicked out of the NFL for good. However, if he stays clean and plays hard he's a pro-bowl wide out.

The Browns absolutely have to roll the dice with Gordon. If he screws up the Browns won't be worse off than they are now. The only way that the Browns can mess this up is to trade him...because if they do Gordon will stay off the weed and put up All-Pro numbers for the next four seasons.

^+1

sorry guys, i would. first slip up and he's gone for good with no compensation. yes best receiver we've had in a long time BUT.....

can't stay off the WEEDen.

Mik, apparently, he has- or you think there have been zero drug tests during his suspension?

....so don't trade him?

I'd call it 'keeping a low profile'....tho not sure what you're saying here, is it trade him now??....

Even though you don't know what he's doing and ESPN doesn't know what he's doing, the NFL and his assigned Medical Advisor do.....and they've been working with him, monitoring his treatment plan and testing him through out his suspension.....

So, since he's applied for reinstatement, you have to assume he's met all the requirements to do so.....or why bother?

Right....the one dim glimmer of hope is that "after 2 years" of staying clean, he can be discharged from the program by his medical advisor....all based upon how well he's adhered to his treatment program, etc.....it's a long shot, but possible....

Salary wise, we have him this year....and next season he will be a restricted FA, meaning we can match any offers.....If he returns to form this season, Id expect a nice contract offer, with lots of conditions(and zero guaranteed money).....IE ....he'll get the big bucks, but only if he's here and playing....

What I wounder is if the one year suspension counts towards that two year. If that's the case he only has to stay clean for another year or so.

Im pretty sure he'll be an RFA in 2017.....which happens at the 3 year mark, not 4......

So, technically he would have been an RFA last year and UFA this year, but that was pushed back to RFA...then with the added suspension, that got pushed back again....to 2017....

I understand he's appealing this, but no way they'll rule in his favor....

Agree on the appeal... but OverTheCap has his original contract at 4-years...

Year - Base - Prorated - Cap Number

.2012 $390,000 $581,209 $971,209

.2013 $632,802 $581,209 $1,139,564

.2014 $825,604 $564,115 $954,070

2015$1,068,406 $564,115 $564,115

http://overthecap.com/player/josh-gordon/290

Year - Base - Prorated - Cap Number

.2012 $390,000 $581,209 $971,209

.2013 $632,802 $581,209 $1,139,564

.2014 $825,604 $564,115 $954,070

2015$1,068,406 $564,115 $564,115

http://overthecap.com/player/josh-gordon/290

Of which, 2014 was basically void, because of the final game suspension, which puts him at 2016, and 2015 was a write off putting him at 2017, no?

Right, but even OTC shows him signed thru 2016 only...everybody gets a 4 year contract as required by the CBA, but can out at 3 and become a RFA(except first rounders)...I was pretty sure before, but looked around a lot more today and am certain he is RFA 2017, UFA 2018....

So, we have him for 1 year, can match in 2 years and can trans tag him in 3(if we so choose).....

Here's a link that spells it out....

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/1/20/10797170/josh-gordon-applies-for-reinstatement-browns-could-control-contract

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/josh-gordon/

Of which, 2014 was basically void, because of the final game suspension, which puts him at 2016, and 2015 was a write off putting him at 2017, no?

Correct....

....so don't trade him?

I'd call it 'keeping a low profile'....tho not sure what you're saying here, is it trade him now??....

Even though you don't know what he's doing and ESPN doesn't know what he's doing, the NFL and his assigned Medical Advisor do.....and they've been working with him, monitoring his treatment plan and testing him through out his suspension.....

So, since he's applied for reinstatement, you have to assume he's met all the requirements to do so.....or why bother?

Right....the one dim glimmer of hope is that "after 2 years" of staying clean, he can be discharged from the program by his medical advisor....all based upon how well he's adhered to his treatment program, etc.....it's a long shot, but possible....

Exactly....the one trade opportunity that may go over well is to package him for a move up in the draft.....say Gordon and a mid round pick or 2 to move back into the first?......

trade him.....we already don't have a qb because of the manziel bs...we don't need anymore headcases...

Right, but even OTC shows him signed thru 2016 only...everybody gets a 4 year contract as required by the CBA, but can out at 3 and become a RFA(except first rounders)...I was pretty sure before, but looked around a lot more today and am certain he is RFA 2017, UFA 2018....

So, we have him for 1 year, can match in 2 years and can trans tag him in 3(if we so choose).....

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/1/20/10797170/josh-gordon-applies-for-reinstatement-browns-could-control-contract

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/josh-gordon/

Correct....

The $$$ remaining on Josh's contract & this^^^ is the reason analytically we will NOT trade Gordo. Now Gordo may do it to himself but we still hold the keys to the car (his poss. value) he may have stolen from his car dealing days. Trade deadline 2016? Let's just get to that point B)

OK... I see what is being said, but still do not understand how anyone can be a RFA after 3 years yet have terms for a 4th year on their original contract... unless...

The terms of year 4 seen at OTC are the minimum qualifying, RFA offer we must make to retain him as an RFA. IIRC higher offers are even multiples of these minimum figures and the size of our offer sets the compensation we receive.

Make sense?

Mik, apparently, he has- or you think there have been zero drug tests during his suspension?

hey, no one here loves gordon as much as i do (?) but there's a difference between being secluded and away from peers painting connect the dots and hanging out with grown men after competing in a sports competition in the locker room when someone says "let's go hangout." go to a club. hot music. fast women. and boom! next thing you know you're out of the league.

i had faith that blackmon could turn it around and what is he doing right now?

exactly.

Archived