THE BROWNS BOARD

The youth of today

gftChris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35603975

Bit of waffle, but the main points:

"If you throw a glance at the boys of any public or secondary school you find them up to the age of 13 full of curiosity, courteous, animated by high and good spirits," he said. "Then they reach the awkward age. They often lose their freshness and their charm, sometimes forever.

Six main problems with youth today:

• lack of physical fitness
  • decline of initiative and enterprise
  • decline of imagination
  • decline of craftsmanship
  • decline of self-discipline
  • decline of compassion

Thoughts? I would be hard pressed to disagree, in a broad sense. Of course there are exceptions, but plenty of young people today exhibit many or all of these traits.

• decline of imagination
  • decline of compassion

Seems like good parenting would cure a lot of these.

• decline of imagination
  • decline of compassion

Seems like good parenting would cure a lot of these.

Perhaps, but there are also cultural and societal reasons for it.

Perhaps, but there are also cultural and societal reasons for it.

I was talking with a juvenile court judge once who told me he he was always going to seminars on issues of the day but he never had been to one that addressed the issues caused by the breakdown of the family and children being brought up in broken homes.

and yeah VR is the next nail in the coffin. I'm a big gamer still but not till after I hit the gym. And all these companies are trying to gear gamers up for the next big thing which is VR. No thanks. I'll stop playing video games before I put one of those brain scanners on my head. I know full well what they're doing with those things.

no he got it, it's you that didn't.

Yeah? Then read the first response unless it's been deleted. Then, blow me!

By the way that's not the first time a very similar piece has been posted. One was from Shakespeare's time one from the Civil War blah blah blah.

Does it mean any of them are untrue just that kids suck worse every generation!

:D

WSS

I grew up in a large family and we use to hear about how if we all didn't straighten up the whole lot of us would be dropped off at the Children's Home the local orphanage house. I thought we were the only kids in town who heard that speech until I read on face book comments from people who grew up here that this was a common threat from many parents. BTW - it usually worked

If that kind of parenting worked this world would have been a different place long ago. Think about that one.

Cleve that is nothing I would have ever done with my children but child rearing in the 50's and 60's was much different than today. I'm just glad I made it into adult hood with how things were back then. For example we used to have a fogging machine go around in the neighborhoods spraying out the DDT and every kid in the neighborhood (including OBF) would follow the fogging truck in our bikes trying to get lost in the fog. I think back on it now and wonder where was the adult supervision? As a young kid we used to float down the river on our styro foam rafts with no clue how deadly those small dams were that went up and down the river. We used to climb out on some very high railroad bridges and hang out clearly visible to everyone but not once did anything happen. Today I have no doubt if any kids ever climbed those bridges there would be firetrucks and police called asap. Just was a different time.

what I do lament about the good ole day is how you can't let your kids roam and explore anymore cause of the kind of pieces of shit out there. I mean you had that in the cities back in the 30's and 40's too, there were gangs back then too trying to recruit your kids but they weren't darkies so it's almost romanticized in our culture.....but these people were trying to get your kids to become gangsters and carry out hits on people just like today.

But in the country or far suburbia things were probably pretty cool I will admit. My old man grew up in Germany in the 30's and 40's and of course shit was hard during the war but he has stories about climbing up into broken down Tigers and getting the turret operational. I'm sorry, I know that if an allied tank had seen a german tanks turret swiveling there would have been some incoming stuff quick like...but still, firing up a king tiger with your buddies when you're 9-10 years old and trying to get it to roll out? That's a lifetime memory. He said they absolutely would have tried to load a shell if there was one still in there. They actually went to a couple other tanks to try and find one. Yeah that shell likely would have gone off in the breech so it was lucky they didn't find one.

but frankly black children these days are better off with their mothers. Not much cause she usually has to work 7 jobs, but black men in general these days shouldn't be procreating cause they have zero intention of raising children to be proper humans. That's an age old story though. Which is why it's probably been best that women were granted to be the birthers.

Archived