THE BROWNS BOARD

Apple vs. F.B.I.

jbluhm86

I just started following this story a few days ago, and I was wanting to get everyone's view on it.

Brief rundown of the developing Apple vs F.B.I. battle and it's potential national security/due process freedom implications: http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-versus-the-fbi-why-the-lowest-priced-iphone-has-the-us-in-a-tizzy-faq/

20 million government employees had their information stolen by the Chinese in the Office of Personnel Management leaks, myself included. If they can't keep that data safe why the fuck would I trust them with a backdoor to everyone's phones?

I'm in that club also.

I keep wondering why Apple can't just break into THIS ONE PHONE,

USED BY DEAD TERRORISTS.

and do it quietly. Then put it up under physical lock and key somewhere, out

of the gov's reach.

Apple has now made it a public selling point, hahaha.

Except the victims of those terrorists are not laughing. Just quietly investigate this ONE DAMN PHONE,

and do not give the key to getting the data to the gov.

Look, let's say Apple's security on phones runs something like this:

A randomly generated key... that goes into encryption mode, and it encrypted by a secret set

of 1-26 scrambled alphabet key sets, also chosen randomly. Make it a thousand ? different combinations, whatever that it,

I forget the algorithm to determine that.

Then scramble that encrypted key by 1000 sets of alphanumeric randomly chosen 1-52 sets of letters and numbers.

The result is a superduper secret key. The source code itself is compiled.

Eventually, someday, it could be figured out with a superrcomputer? how to decompile the program, isolate the

variables containing the different randomly generated values, and undo the security.

Apple already knows how it set the security up, and how the secret logic in the programming reads.

Then,the gov STILL WON'T HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO DO WHAT APPLE DID.

The gov will eventually start off on a program to crack

the Apple security on it's own, since Apple won't help them on this ONE PHONE, USED BY DEAD TERRORISTS.

Apple's public battle to refuse to get into ONE DEAD TERRORIST's PHONE, will be the undoing of all those

American's privacy.

Idiots. I don't get it. The gov won't care if they go through seven thousand apple phones to figure out

how to get into them.....

I don't see the problem. Apple keeps secrets, the gov keeps secrets, yet this asinine battle

is being made in public.

I got fucked on that deal as well. Did they send you the letter offering identity theft protection?

I have two different theft protections. One from CSID and ID Experts. It says they got my fingerprints also. It says "Federal experts believe the ability to misuse fingerprint data is currently limited. However, this could change over time as technology evolves."

I side with Apple. Slippery slope to allow the government through special encryption back doors.

Hey the NSA hates Linux because of privacy so that's a good enough reason for me to use it.

The NSA asked Torvalds to do the same thing they want apple to do - add a super secret back door that only the government can get through. Torvalds said "no" of course, but it doesn't work as well with Linux being licensed under the GPL and completely open source. If they added a super secret back door literally everybody would be able to see how it works.

SELinux has been largely backed by the NSA, but for other reasons. Linux is secure by design (userspace is loosely coupled to the kernel space, open source) - the NSA doesn't like that.

You're right. It's a lot easier to spy on people when they can't see your source code and reverse engineer it. Can you imagine, being able to apply their same methods to spy on them? Who watches the watchmen

http://satwcomic.com/i-spy-with-my-little-eye

The big story around here these days is that America have been spying on civilians in European countries without informing the government. It all started when Norway found out about it, and then other countries started looking into it and found that Americans had indeed been spying on civilians in their country.

But there was one thing America didn’t count on: A nation just as terror-paranoid as them. Denmark to be exact. There the government found out about the spying and sent out Danish agents to spy on the American agents

Go for it. Was more just about the comedy value of it - denmark is spying on the US...

I think any country that has a halfway decent intelligence agency is using it to spy on other countries, regardless of whether they are friend or foe.

I side with Apple. Slippery slope to allow the government through special encryption back doors.

The NSA asked Torvalds to do the same thing they want apple to do - add a super secret back door that only the government can get through. Torvalds said "no" of course, but it doesn't work as well with Linux being licensed under the GPL and completely open source. If they added a super secret back door literally everybody would be able to see how it works.

SELinux has been largely backed by the NSA, but for other reasons. Linux is secure by design (userspace is loosely coupled to the kernel space, open source) - the NSA doesn't like that.

Torvalds denies that and says it was a joke that was misinterpreted

Torvalds denies that and says it was a joke that was misinterpreted

You need a little more tin foil hat. It's probably been tried, but fails for the obvious reasons of open source and principle.

A couple sneaky things have slipped through the cracks before (like setting UID=0, which is the uid of root). Most code that gets into mainstream linux is reviewed, criticized by 5, 10, 15 people. CC'd to everybody's relevant email, then merged in by Linus after all that and is always available for the world to see - so it can't happen with Linux like it can with Windows.

My last job I had a boss who always used to rip on open source software. I told him we need to dispel with this fiction once and for all that open source software is less secure, open source software is more secure.

• 4 weeks later...

So these pricks at the FBI hacked it without Apple's help. What a surprise, trying to get some proprietary software they didn't even need.

Maybe they did get Apple's help but they got it on the DL to avoid the bad publicity.

Apparently they got help from an "unidentified third party" - maybe somebody with connections to Apple.

the Apple security on it's own, since Apple won't help them on this ONE PHONE, USED BY DEAD TERRORIST

I hope they can still stop an impending attack before it's too late. Seems that

Apple's pseudo-principle backfired, like I was talking about.

the Apple security on it's own, since Apple won't help them on this ONE PHONE, USED BY DEAD TERRORIST

I hope they can still stop an impending attack before it's too late. Seems that

Apple's pseudo-principle backfired, like I was talking about.

Not at all. Apple stuck to their guns. The feds were always going to crack that phone, it was just a matter of time.

Nobody's blood will be on Apple's hands and as we all know, any tool like that even used correctly always finds its way into the wrong hands.

Archived