THE BROWNS BOARD

A Good Trend from the Orchard?

Flugel

Like the Steelers used to show us with their OLBer/pass rushers in training that rarely used to push inexperienced wide eyed rookies into the lineup before they were ready - Nate Orchard showed us 0 sacks in his part time duty over the first 12 weeks.

However, Lindy's draft Guide on page 103 tells me that Orchard had 3 sacks in our last 4 football games. If we add a year of off season NFL strength and conditioning to the sum of fast twitchies that gave Utah 18.5 sacks in the Pac 12 his last year there - are we at a premature or false positive conclusion that we don't have an edge rusher here right now?

The reason I ask that, is that I feel we can indeed find immediate and sufficient help for our rotation at the 5 techniques. Not only that, Xavier Cooper also shows up with a year of experience under his belt for the rotation.

On a team that isn't very good at tackling at first contact, I see 2 different ILBers that I feel are very solid, reliable and avoid the killshot highlight reels so they aren't coming out of college with 1 concussion shy of career curtains like that Borland. These are are Mizzou's Kentrell Brothers that Lindy projects in round 2 and my fave at the Senior Bowl Tyler Matakevich projecting in round 3-4. Ray Lewis was once seen as a guy that was only 6'0" tall without the drop dead 40 time so guess how far he fell in round 1? I think it was somewhere around 26th overall. My dollar store take is first step instinct of a LBer means a lot more that 40 speed when the average running play only lasts 3-4 seconds tops. Try to think of why Mingo is always out of position to make a tackle. He has the instincts of a raccoon crossing the highway at night time so when we always see him hightailing it past the ball carrier or scrambling QBs - it's in make up mode for what he lacks. If he stays here, let's hope experience can conquer some of that because I love his motor and athleticism. And how about this folks? Ray Horton returning actually gives some of our players that were here during his cup of coffee some degree of continuity.

As I was enjoying Matakevich's nose for the football - I was glad Mike Mayock cautioned people this kid wasn't going to show up as one of the fitness stars at Indy.That said, Lindy's Draft Guide says this 4 year starter had over 100 tackles all 4 years finishing as a 3 time All-American Athletic Conference pickand the 2015 Bronco Nagurski Award Winner as the top LBer in the country. He was listed at 6')" 233 lbs.

Brothers was a weakside backer in a 4-3, that could be useful if we go to some 4 man fronts. He's 6'1" at 249 lbs. Lindy projects him as an ILBer for a 3-4 comparing him to D'Qwell Jackson (who I actually felt played his most instinctive football vrs the point of attack in a 4-3 so I don't know if they're comparing him to the right guy or not).

It was nice to see Orchard's development through the 2015 season, but did not see anything I can extrapolate to his becoming an elite edge rusher... and that's OK.

Assemble enough rush talent in the front 7 and you can sack/Knock-down/hurry by committee... if the scheme is good. That remains to be seen.

I'll need to see more than 3 sacks (two of which came against the 49ers where even JFF would have gotten a sack) before I am happy proclaiming him our next great pass rusher.

Still, if he can crank it up and get 6-8 sacks next year, and progress the year after, then I'll be happy with him.

forgetting all the f'd up defensive schemes & lack of playing time. Orch got better the more he saw the field. More positive growth in 2016 next step..

and sadly, even with the #2 pick, there are no Macks to be had.... :(

I disagree. I don't know about as elite as Mack, but pretty damn close. Comparing their tape to Macks, I see similar fundamentals out of Jack and Bosa. Smith too before he got hurt. Fuck I am still so mad about Mack. It's infuriating especially when we were all like ok it's Mack or Watkins here we go.......and then we trade down. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

A 51st pick overall I doubt if he was considered any part of being a project. But that's the NFL for you. You may be talented but a player must be in the right system to fit where they can excell. I hope Horton coming back he puts Orchard where he can succeed rather than fall thru the cracks.

I like Jack and I like Bosa.....believe me, I do......and Jack is probably my favorite player in the draft and likely the guy "Id" pick, but dont think they're at that elite level that Mack is....(or was in college).....

Darron Lee is also a guy Id like to see on the Browns....another very very good one, but not sure he's great or elite....

Fuck I am still so mad about Mack. It's infuriating especially when we were all like ok it's Mack or Watkins here we go.......and then we trade down. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

No matter how much we have and may disagree over other stuff... we'll always have this ^...

I was stunned Mack was still on the board at our pick... and double stunned when we passed on him...

I expect bigger things from both Orchard and Cooper. They will need to contribute more what with both Starks and A. Bryant out of the picture.

And if anyone is saying the Browns don't need more pass rush, then they are smoking toilet paper. If they don't go Bosa, then they will need to promote Orchard heavily....and pick up another DE somewhere along the line.

No matter how much we have and may disagree over other stuff... we'll always have this ^...

I was stunned Mack was still on the board at our pick... and double stunned when we passed on him...

It felt like you got punched in the dick didn't it? At least how it felt for me. We had two blue chip can't miss guys on the board, both were "dire" needs too...so it wasn't like they would have been luxury picks. Right in the balls.

It felt like you got punched in the dick didn't it? At least how it felt for me. We had two blue chip can't miss guys on the board, both were "dire" needs too...so it wasn't like they would have been luxury picks. Right in the balls.

I guess they didn't see the movie Draft Day? It would've been that epic.

But we got Gilbert and then Erving the next year out of that deal. What more could you ask for? Oh, wait. :P

Archived