THE BROWNS BOARD

The Lions sign Marvin Jones for 8 million a year

Alkid3

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add Mike Silver to those who say about the Harvard guys "not so sure they are NFL street smart"- 2 minutes ago on NFL Network

Casserly pretty much says they missed the boat on not realizing that FA the first couple of years is important in building a team.

The whole crew is down on how this is working out for "baseball guys".

Edit: I hate to say it but they pretty much ended it by laughing about the Browns FO along the lines of a Bob Marley song.

Watched the same segment, didn't get the same "lolbrowns" feeling at all.

Silver seemed interested in seeing our FO work out, Casserly was saying we need to dabble more in FA than previous regimes. As a matter of fact, they made it a point to state this regime isn't like our last, because the transition to the segment was from a Manziel story.

It's 10:50 AM. Free agency isn't even open. And you guys are already down on this FO?

You know, we signed Dansby, Bowe, Bryant, Tramon, Mack & Whitner to huge contracts and, really, all I heard was that we overpaid for crap....(except maybe Mack, who clearly didnt want to be here).....

And, now, we stick to our guns and dont overpay 2nd tier players like Benji or Jones and what?....were cheap or stupid?

Jones signed for $8 million.....should we have offered him 10????....Maybe pay Benji $8 million to return some punts?

You know, we signed Dansby, Bowe, Bryant, Tramon, Mack & Whitner to huge contracts and, really, all I heard was that we overpaid for crap....(except maybe Mack, who clearly didnt want to be here).....

And, now, we stick to our guns and dont overpay 2nd tier players like Benji or Jones and what?....were cheap or stupid?

Jones signed for $8 million.....should we have offered him 10????....Maybe pay Benji $8 million to return some punts?

At the end of the day if we are a far worse team than at the beginning of the day then yes, we screwed the pooch. Right now outlook not so good.

Well, we've know for 2 years that Mack was leaving and the Browns pretty clearly said they weren't gonna make waves in FA....and the fact the Jones & Benji signed elsewhere means what?.....neither one is a difference maker and both got way more than they were worth(at least in my book)....

Sheesh...technically, the day hasnt even started yet.....

Ill reserve my whining for later....much later......

Watched the same segment, didn't get the same "lolbrowns" feeling at all.

Silver seemed interested in seeing our FO work out, Casserly was saying we need to dabble more in FA than previous regimes. As a matter of fact, they made it a point to state this regime isn't like our last, because the transition to the segment was from a Manziel story.

It's 10:50 AM. Free agency isn't even open. And you guys are already down on this FO?

Casserly is an old time "get off my lawn" type of GM, who would be critical of the "new" analytics being applied by our FO....probably because he may not be able to wrap his head around it. "Hey, they are not doing it the way I did it, so it must be bad".

I didn't realize the season started tomorrow.

Of course it doesn't. It started today. Actually it started before Monday. We made our first choices already by not signing, while saying we want to retain our free agents.

We made our first choices already by not signing, while saying we want to retain our free agents.

Or "they" made their choices....

Mack made his years ago.....and both Farmer AND Sashi tried to sign Benji for months.....

Those were FA's though. I'm talking about kids like Benji that came up here in Cleveland. Speaking of Dansby, I would rather have DQ here teaching the next set of LB'ers. DQ proved he's still able to put out and he was a fucking Cleveland Brown through and through. We made the wrong call on letting him go and bringing in a high priced FA who didn't really have much vested in the organization except a check. You keep guys like DQ for the next group. This is how the steelers keep their defense relevant. Yeah they ups and downs but the downs don't last for decades. Harrison has absolutely lost a few steps but he's still on the team cause they know how valuable he is to the next group of guys they're trying to groom.

Or "they" made their choices....

Mack made his years ago.....and both Farmer AND Sashi tried to sign Benji for months.....

Fair enough on Mack, but they tried to "cheap" Benji compared to what SD is offering. And now what are we doing to retain Schwartz and Gipson?

this is exactly correct. RaidersBaltiwhore's OL Osemelee gets 36.6 million in the first 3 yrs of a 5 yr,58.5 deal to go to the Raiders.

Janoris Jenkins signs with the Giants ... for MORE than 12 million a year. The Jags' deal with DL Malik Jackson is 90

million over six years...42 million guaranteed.

This stuff is stupid, especially for the Browns, who need more than one or two players to be a playoff team.

btw... Colt McCoy...resigned with the Redskins. Yep. For three years. After they cut RGIII.

I wonder who it was back then. who desperately wanted the Browns to give up a LOT, to get RGIII, the

"franchise quarterback".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/03/08/chris-cooley-robert-griffin-iii-was-never-willing-to-be-friends-with-kirk-cousins/?tid=a_inl

Paying the huge bucks is not all that great an idea. I don't blame the players, I blame the NFL teams that are going overboard.

Fair enough on Mack, but they tried to "cheap" Benji compared to what SD is offering. And now what are we doing to retain Schwartz and Gipson?

Benji got $6million....that is nowhere near "cheap"....he's not worth it.....he aint Antonio Brown guys....

this is exactly correct. RaidersBaltiwhore's OL Osemelee gets 36.6 million in the first 3 yrs of a 5 yr,58.5 deal to go to the Raiders.

Janoris Jenkins signs with the Giants ... for MORE than 12 million a year. The Jags' deal with DL Malik Jackson is 90

million over six years...42 million guaranteed.

This stuff is stupid, especially for the Browns, who need more than one or two players to be a playoff team.

Exactly.....if we were close, then maybe.....but overpaying average talent gets us nowhere, except into regrettable contracts

And, history shows that overpaid FA's usually end up getting cut or restructured almost immediatey.....ask Miami....

Bengals are way closer than we are, yet didnt see the need to keep Jones @ $8m.....

Im good if we sign Scwartz and think he's the most important of the guys we are faced with losing.....I had Mack gone long ago.....and Gipson/Benji just aint all that.....

i'm ok with not overpaying guys from other teams tbh. I wouldn't have minded Jones but hey, if Detroit gives him more money AND he's got Matthew Stafford throwing to him....waddya gonna do? He probably would have still chosen Detroit even if we offered a few more bucks because of that.....Stafford vs McCown/draft nub....not a hard call.

It won't, but we do need some dynamic Kick returners on this team. Who do you think those will be?

Danny Shelton or Xavier Cooper. Let em try to storm downfield and try to slap them

into the turf. Ain't happenin.

Cooper used to play soccer, he has quick feet. And Shelton could average Benjamin's return average in a lava. B)

We have good kick returners and Benji wasnt one of them.....Moore and Gilbert do that quite well and Benji only did it in 2014 and was terrible(20 yd average).....Heck, Gilbert was one of the best in the league, so Id expect to see more of that with Hue....

Punt returns?....yeah, benji was pretty good there, but lets be honest, the difference between the top punt returners and middle of the pack guys is about 3 yards per return(tops)....or less than 5 yards per game avg....so, its not that big of a deal really....

Danny Shelton or Xavier Cooper. Let em try to storm downfield and try to slap them

into the turf. Ain't happenin.

Cooper used to play soccer, he has quick feet. And Shelton could average Benjamin's return average in a lava. B)

That would be fun to see...if nothing else.

We have good kick returners and Benji wasnt one of them.....Moore and Gilbert do that quite well and Benji only did it in 2014 and was terrible(20 yd average).....Heck, Gilbert was one of the best in the league, so Id expect to see more of that with Hue....

Sorry, Moore sucked ass. Didn't see much of Gilbert returning kicks.....so I do think he should....at least get some use out of his sorry ass.

Punt returns?....yeah, benji was pretty good there, but lets be honest, the difference between the top punt returners and middle of the pack guys is about 3 yards per return(tops)....or less than 5 yards per game avg....so, its not that big of a deal really....

Still, need a guy that could take it all the way....like Benji did. Something certainly Moore could not do.

Sorry, Moore sucked ass. Didn't see much of Gilbert returning kicks.....so I do think he should....at least get some use out of his sorry ass.

Still, need a guy that could take it all the way....like Benji did. Something certainly Moore could not do.

The three total punt + kicks he returned in his four year career aren't enough to keep him, IMO.

Mediocre receiver, slightly above average return man at times. Let's not glorify this kid. Cribbs had two different seasons where he returned 3 or more punt + kicks for TD's.

Archived