THE BROWNS BOARD

Disappointment?

Westside Steve

So...we can yell....and scream....and roll on the floor....but anyone who didnt see this coming is blind....and anyone who thought Mack was staying is blind too.....and anyone who thought Gipson or Benji were all world talents or the difference between winning and losing would be mistaken ....

I know......Farmer seemed like he thought he knew it all.......but at least he wasnt declared as the smartest FO in the league......GO HARVARD!

I agree with everything here and would only add...the team was 3-13 with these guys so how good can they be? Schwartz is the only one that we will miss in my opinion.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mud, if I can add to your 4 points, and hopefully help many of our fans:

I think Sashi and Depodesto wanted to begin removing the known "Browns have the highest payroll" in the league. Letting these guys go will convince anyone that thinks they can come here and be paid whatever they want, will no longer be accepted.

We will draft our players and if it takes some time to get to the SB, so be it. I know our fans hate this because they are tired of losing. But, previous coaches tried to come here and win right away, which didn't work. I'd also say that it wasn't fair either, but they had no choice.

Back to the draft, I know that Cam Erving was only a rookie last year. So I do expect some improvements from his this year. I would move him to RG, but we have to hit on the C in the draft (2nd pick this year). So, of course I'm implying that we draft the QB with the first pick.

With Gordon coming back and drafting a WR in the 3rd round, we should see an improvement. As mud started, losing Gipson last year didn't hurts us. The rest of our picks, I would draft Edge Rushers and CBs.

Our D played much better the last couple games. I know that coaching is everything, so hopefully they improve.

Obviously I don't know this for a fact, but it does make sense.

5) Schwartz....this is the one that really bothers me. He was the one guy I felt strongly about keeping and am deeply disappointed they didnt find a way. Had a lot of time to do it too. But, their inexperience cost them and the Browns a quality home grown player. But...But, you reap what you sow....and Jimmy has sowed a field of green FO talent again and it showed clearly yesterday.

I disagree with you on this point.. The reason Schwartz left is because Browns FO wasn't willing to bid against themselves.. They made an offer that Schwartz rejected because he thought he could get more.. and was wrong. Browns pulled the first offer and were never informed of the KC bid value.

If Schwartz wanted to stay, he could have told them precisely what KC offered and asked them to beat it. But that wasn't how Schwartz's agent tried to play them.

Browns FO now acts like Cuban on SharkTank : Accept now or the deal's off. Which is fine by me -- I want someone who has brass balls and won't be levered by other teams. I think they're the exact opposite of green...

Rumors circulating we have agreed a deal to sign this guy to a 4 year $40m deal $25m guaranteed ......but the front office are waiting for him to arrive so the contract can be completed.

the_invisible_man_by_stevedore.jpg

Disappointed? Yes, but not one bit regarding yesterday's lack of participation in the inaugural day 1 over spend fest. The guys we lost will be replaced by younger guys, who likely will be even better on the field......... Hell, these 4 starters were the core of a 3-20 team..... C YA!

I'm disappointed that as I sit here typing this, I know that the upcoming season will be 6-10 at best, but I have known this for a long, long time. This team is devoid of NFL talent.... REAL NFL talent. Not "he's the best player on a shitty 3-20 team" talent, but real talent.

It's going to take a while to infuse the 53 with real NFL talent, and again, I have known this for a long time......... It just sucks already knowing that every upcoming gameday in the upcoming season is going to be a frustrating one, yet again, and that has me disappointed.

However, if a time traveler told me that if I hang in there for just 1 more frustrating year, then I wouldn't have to suffer another one for many, many years to come, then I would gladly watch each and every snap of our last shitty season.

Hopefully our new "vision" will lead to this^

D Bone -if they do this right then were talking 5 years to be really competitive week in week out. The key will be whether Jimmy can be that patient. Me? I've waited almost 69 years for A&M to win a national championship. Waiting for a competitive team here is easy in comparison.

PS-I was elated when A&M won the Women's Basketball National Championship in 2011 and thrilled that we just tied Kentucky for the men's regular season basketball championship this year and got seeded #1 in the SEC tournament based on our double OT win over them. Small victories ease the pain quite a bit.

So I don't really want to ask about any particular moves but just about your overall enthusiasm. I try to be a pretty positive guy I do realize that we went 3 and 13 with these guys last season. And collapsed the second half of the Season before.

That being said even though I realize that coach Pettine was not anybody's first choice, I like the guy and his attitude and his play like a Brown mantra. I liked Ray Farmer and his experience. I was excited about the background that Mike Holmgren brought to the team. I was excited about Hometown boy Rob Chudzinski

Now I realize the NFL is falling over themselves to praise Hue Jackson.

Maybe it's partially because I hate the Bengals, maybe it's partially because I'm not choked up by some dipshit attorney in charge of the roster, maybe partially because so far I don't have any faith in this Analytics scam with a baseball jag off at the helm, and maybe it's because I have a hard time getting behind a stupid Tennessee Hillbillies wife calling the shots but I'm finding it harder to be excited over this year's biannual remake.

I don't mean to be a negative dickhead like a lot of the guys here and I will do my best to cheer up, make excuses for our guys and hope for the best but am I alone in this feeling of disappointment?

WSS

i don't think you are being negative, i think you are being realistic...i don't believe in this analytic crap either...as far as hue jackson goes, he's going to have to prove himself...plain and simple...more importantly, he's going to have to surround himself with some really good assistant coaches to help him out...every winning coach has done that....I think we are quite aways from even having a winning season let alone making the playoffs..we are in the "we are 2yrs away from being 2yrs away mode right now....no good fa's want to come here..its been that way forever...its going to be up to the draft or next several drafts to development hopefully good players to turn this shit around, then we might get some decent fa's...all i see right now are good players leaving because in my opinion, they are sick and tired of losing and can't see the light at the end of an endless tunnel.

I'm disappointed, but I'm not aiming it at the Browns' FO. I think the Schwartz situation could have been handled better, but if it's true that he took less money to play elsewhere, then he can go fuck himself.

I just want something to get excited about, you know? Give me something positive. Ok maybe we lost these guys, but the team will be better in *blank* area. I don't know.

Patience. Patience.

The only 1 that bothers me is mitchell, mack everyone knew would leave -benji can be replaced-gibson not that big of deal. To me it all depends on what they bring in.

I got this gut feeling browns may package manziel and thomas to denver.

tired of losing and can't see the light at the end of an endless tunnel.

Will the last one to leave Cleveland please turn out the light at the end of the tunnel. ...........................Sorry could not resist using an old joke we used in Vietnam. :lol:

*Spoiler*

We don't do anything of significance in FA in relation to what we lost because this is a terrible organization and nobody wants to come here and put their career in the hands of morons, not even Hue can win them over. We'll draft Wentz/Goff, they'll be a bust because this QB class sucks but we'll pick one out of desperation, Ramsey/Bosa will go on to make the pro bowl every year for the next decade.

It brings me no joy saying any of that but it's the truth.

Good lord, we lost four damn players and everyone is acting like we've all contracted super AIDS or something. Every single one of you who is bitching and moaning are infinity more depressing than the Browns right now. If you all are so butthurt over this, pick up a new hobby. Maybe you can get into amateur prosthetics so you can make something resembling the testicles each and everyone of you lack.

Good lord, we lost four damn players and everyone is acting like we've all contracted super AIDS or something. Every single one of you who is bitching and moaning are infinity more depressing than the Browns right now. If you all are so butthurt over this, pick up a new hobby. Maybe you can get into amateur prosthetics so you can make something resembling the testicles each and everyone of you lack.

We were already super AIDS before we lost a pro bowl caliber center, very good RT, a good young safety, and our leading WR.

We were already super AIDS before we lost a pro bowl caliber center, very good RT, a good young safety, and our leading WR.

Not sure I agree with any of those. Mack is declining(or has been the last couple of seasons). Gipson has too many injuries. Schwartz: how many times have we all complained about his blocking. Agree with the assessment of Benjamin, but he is wayyy to short and we can pick up a taller receiver in the draft, especially with Gordon coming back.

That pro bowl caliber center and good young safety wanted out. It takes two to make a deal. We can't force them to stay. Our very good RT got caught trying to two time us to get a better deal, our FO actually has a sliver of pride (something those of you wining completely lack) and pulled the deal. They weren't going to tolerate being played. How that is viewed by some as unacceptable is beyond crazy. Our leading WR had one okay year and is now being severely overpaid.

What you and your butthurt compadres are doing is compleyely ignoring the reasons why we lost those four so you can bitch, whine and complain. It makes no sense to me, but then again, I'm not completely governed by my emotions and am actually capable of using logic.

Maybe you can get into amateur prosthetics so you can make something resembling the testicles each and everyone of you lack.

Quite possibly the most original dis I've read. B)

The center didn't want to be here, the safety didn't want to be here, the RT tried to play us off other teams and "our leading WR" is nothing more than a situational guy on 20 of the 32 teams in the NFL.

Jesus Christ, stop glorifying these players.

People will forget the name Travis Benjamin in three years.

If you want to stay positive then don't read ESPN, Bleacher Report or any other sports site. Everything is negative. Some of the articles claim that Brown and De Podesta were no where to be found and were wondering if the Front Office was aware that Free Agency has started. It's this kind of negativity that's written about the Browns organization that scares players away!

I know they have a track record that speaks for itself. But I still have hope. On draft day I will be watching.

The center didn't want to be here, the safety didn't want to be here, the RT tried to play us off other teams and "our leading WR" is nothing more than a situational guy on 20 of the 32 teams in the NFL.

Jesus Christ, stop glorifying these players.

People will forget the name Travis Benjamin in three years.

But we were trying to get to 4-12 with these hall of famers!

Disappointment? Too mild a word........................................ How about shocked? Or befuddled?..............................I'm wondering how our Tenn. businessman is feeling today after hearing how we wanted to retain our FAs and can't even keep 1 of the main 4. I know I'd be wondering how I explain this to a long suffering fan base that likely now thinks that this team has just been dismantled. How can they even face a press conference? They had better have a very good story and present the long term plan, because right now Cleveland fans sure don't see one. I know I don't but then again..........................

With you on that one Ag.

I'm not down on Sashi and Hue ... I can buy into these guys.

I'm down on the fact that Right Now we feel like an expansion team that happens to have Joe Thomas. There is nothing built here.

It is a complete reboot, and Hue jackson will play the role of Chris Palmer and Wentz/Goff will be in the role of Tim Couch, and we are going to try this all again.

We just can't retain any of the decent guys we draft or find, even if those guys turn out to be really nice draft picks like Mitch Schwartz (2nd) or Travis Benjamin (4th) or terrific udfa finds like Tashaun Gipson.

I think when Farmer got the job, we were frustrated with rebooting again ... but there was something to work with ... Thomas, Mack, Haden, Ward, Gordon, etc ... and TONS of draft picks. Lombardi and Banner left us SET UP for the draft.

But he blew them in record fashion. And he couldn't keep any of the good ones Heckert drafted.

The whole thing HAD to blow up, I understand it, but it still hurts because we are seemingly SO FAR away. We are once again asked to take a leap of faith, and us loyal sonsabitches will take it ... but, damn, in all likelihood we are off on a path of the 99 Browns ... two years of suckage, one year of hope, playoffs in year four.

If Depodesta and these guys can Moneyball us a winning team together faster, that would be great because there are a lot of Great Browns fans who do not deserve even one more losing season.

Zombo

Exactly Z. I'm starting to run out of patience. OK, we let Ward, Skrine, Rubin, and Sheard walk. Yesterday- (Mack didn't want to be here), Schwartz, Benji, and Gipson. You want to tell me with a straight face we're a a better team right now minus all those guys?

Will the last one to leave Cleveland please turn out the light at the end of the tunnel. ...........................Sorry could not resist using an old joke we used in Vietnam. :lol:

The light is a train coming in the other direction. :) I've always tried to be optimistic, but my optimism is being slowly drained out of my body after far too many years of losing. Apologies to the guys who think I'm being a Negative Nancy\ Debbie Downer about what just went down. I'm not of the mind- OK, four of our starters just left, no big deal. Oh, and Logic- it's not like we lost guys like Bademosi, Starks,or Carder- bums that were largely responsible for that 3-13 record. Take a look at my comment in another thread. We now have to replace 40% of our starting offensive line, and if you think Erving can step right in for Mack- well, lotsa luck there. Until I see Sashi & DePodesta's brilliant scheme to replace what just walked out the door- I'm going to be in a serious funk. Should I mention we need a quarterback, stud pass rusher, and a couple linebackers on top of that? LOL, Craig Robertson is drawing tons of interest in FA, har, har, har.

& I'm coming from my place as a season ticket holder, NFL Sunday Ticket on top of that. I daresay I'm more financially invested in the Browns than most others. I'd sure as hell like to start seeing some decent football out of my team- & more bang for my buck, instead of a franchise that year after year has been a minor league talent feeder to the rest of the NFL. Under those circumstances, I think I have every right to be seriously POed.

I may have to borrow that sig line. "Browns rebuilding since 1999, why stop now?"

The only 1 that bothers me is mitchell, mack everyone knew would leave -benji can be replaced-gibson not that big of deal. To me it all depends on what they bring in.

I got this gut feeling browns may package manziel and thomas to denver.

Now that he is no longer on the Browns....it is OK by me if you misspell Tashaun Gipson's name.

We went 3-13 with them.....we can go 3-13 without them.

Archived