THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Trade Down

The Gipper

Agree, it's always #1. take the QB if he has ability to play in this league. Old or new, but at this point, now were at, #2. can you protect your investment? #3. Does he have weapons to perform as a QB? #4. Can your Defense keep your QB in a position to win games? Right now our QB has been a piñata waiting to happen. Yea, You can draft one, but we sure the hell have ruined them putting them on the field not prepared or weapons..

2- Yes, they can find suitable OL in the remainder of FA or in the draft

3- Yes, see No. 2

4- Shouldn't be a factor. Goff lost a ton of games at Cal because he defense was shit and he's not ruined because of it

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure we can fix OL & address weapons but no way in hell Hue is going to ruin a kid putting him on the field in 2016. Get us Kap as a moving piñata, than lets see.

There's nobody to trade up for.

Maybe not in your mind....but maybe in the mind of the Cowboys, or others, there could be. If a team is absolutely in love with one of these QBs, and the Browns are not (which they may not be), then they may want to make the trade.

Get the QB and win some games to shut some dickfaces up in 2016. It'll go a long way to changing that perception.

Get the QB and the rest will fall in line.

Get the QB.

Get the.

Get.

Say it with me

But if you have no OL, no defense, no weapons, getting the QB gets you Tim Couch or David Carr.

Honestly, I prefer the Ravens 2000/Bucs 2002/Steelers 2005 approach....and to an extent the 2015 Broncos: get the meanest nastiest defense in creation...and the best running game possible....then get a competent game manager QB to lead you.

Our "get the QB" first approach has failed so many times: Couch/Quinn/Weeden/JMZ that I am gunshy of that approach.

Maybe not in your mind....but maybe in the mind of the Cowboys, or others, there could be. If a team is absolutely in love with one of these QBs, and the Browns are not (which they may not be), then they may want to make the trade.

Sure. And if the Browns are in love with a QB (which they just as equally may be), they stay at #2 and pick him.

But if you have no OL, no defense, no weapons, getting the QB gets you Tim Couch or David Carr.

Honestly, I prefer the Ravens 2000/Bucs 2002/Steelers 2005 approach....and to an extent the 2015 Broncos: get the meanest nastiest defense in creation...and the best running game possible....then get a competent game manager QB to lead you.

Our "get the QB" first approach has failed so many times: Couch/Quinn/Weeden/JMZ that I am gunshy of that approach.

And both the 2001 Ravens and probably the 2016 Broncos completely faltered after they shot their wad on defense. Because you don't win consistently in the NFL without a QB. Period.

One off success from Baltimore, Tampa Bay and now Denver is the only thing the anti-QB camp has to harp on, and it's not even that good of an argument.

Sure. And if the Browns are in love with a QB (which they just as equally may be), they stay at #2 and pick him.

Or.....if as I suspect, there is really little difference perhaps between Wentz and Goff.....you do the trade down, get the extra picks, and still get Goff/Wentz at #4 (and you have picked up a #34 to add with it...if the Dallas deal is done).

And both the 2001 Ravens and probably the 2016 Broncos completely faltered after they shot their wad on defense. Because you don't win consistently in the NFL without a QB. Period.

One off success from Baltimore, Tampa Bay and now Denver is the only thing the anti-QB camp has to harp on, and it's not even that good of an argument.

Well, OK.....but I will take a one off Super Bowl Championship that has relied on defense. You saying you wouldn't?

Of the four you mentioned, only one fits your argument.

I don't think so.

Ravens....great defense, great running game, Dilfer competent game manager.

Bucs....great defense, great running game with Alstott/Dunn, Brad Johnson game manager.

Broncos....great defense, good running game, with Peyton being a competent game manager at that point.

Steelers...great defense, great running game with Bettis, second year/learning QB with BR.

(perhaps the Steelers are the one that doesn't exactly fit the scenario)

I don't think so.

Ravens....great defense, great running game, Dilfer competent game manager.

Bucs....great defense, great running game with Alstott/Dunn, Brad Johnson game manager.

Broncos....great defense, good running game, with Peyton being a competent game manager at that point.

Steelers...great defense, great running game with Bettis, second year/learning QB with BR.

(perhaps the Steelers are the one that doesn't exactly fit the scenario)

He was talking about the Browns QB's you listed. Only Couch was taken with the Browns first pick. Couch was the also the only one of the four you listed that was the first QB taken in the draft. Quin/Weeden/JM all were the 2nd pick of the Browns and all had other QB's drafted before them. Quin/JM were the 2nd QB taken and Weeden 4th QB taken in their drafts.

Or.....if as I suspect, there is really little difference perhaps between Wentz and Goff.....you do the trade down, get the extra picks, and still get Goff/Wentz at #4 (and you have picked up a #34 to add with it...if the Dallas deal is done).

Except you have absolutely zero evidence of them thinking that.

So this theory means exactly as little as mine.

Cal QB Jared Goff's NFL Combine interview with the Browns was "bad," according to Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports.

Hue Jackson has since denied the statement, but Robinson stands behind what he heard and noted that Goff and the Browns will talk at least two more times during the process (likely at his pro day and an in-house visit, is our guess). ESPN's Josina Anderson backs up what Robinson claims by adding "I don’t know if (Goff) fully understands how he’s coming off to grown men. It’s been discussed. Off putting." This process is a long one and we will hear some teams like or dislike specific prospects. However, the Browns are currently in desperate need of a quarterback, and many feel Goff is worthy of a top 10 selection. We do not.

looks as maybe goff screwed up his interview hoping browns dont pick him is my guess.

Cal QB Jared Goff's NFL Combine interview with the Browns was "bad," according to Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports.

Hue Jackson has since denied the statement, but Robinson stands behind what he heard and noted that Goff and the Browns will talk at least two more times during the process (likely at his pro day and an in-house visit, is our guess). ESPN's Josina Anderson backs up what Robinson claims by adding "I don’t know if (Goff) fully understands how he’s coming off to grown men. It’s been discussed. Off putting." This process is a long one and we will hear some teams like or dislike specific prospects. However, the Browns are currently in desperate need of a quarterback, and many feel Goff is worthy of a top 10 selection. We do not.
looks as maybe goff screwed up his interview hoping browns dont pick him is my guess.

Now what about "I love the pools in Vegas" do you think might put them off? ;)

Except you have absolutely zero evidence of them thinking that.

So this theory means exactly as little as mine.

They seem to be heavily pursuing Kaepernick.....THAT is your evidence that the Browns are not all that enamored with these so called top ranked QBs.

Besides....in my scenario....trading down to #4...they would still get one of those QBs. But if they get Kaep....my position in the vanguard of Camp Bosa is strengthened.

Fair to say?

They seem to be heavily pursuing Kaepernick.....THAT is your evidence that the Browns are not all that enamored with these so called top ranked QBs.

Besides....in my scenario....trading down to #4...they would still get one of those QBs. But if they get Kaep....my position in the vanguard of Camp Bosa is strengthened.

Fair to say?

Most people not in Camp Bosa are in one of the QB camps. Stands to reason that if we get a presumed starting QB, most will jump to Bosa, or maybe Jack.

From what I have seen neither QB is worthy of a 2nd overall pick ......many better players in the draft.

They are both first rounders but not 2 overall ...both would be a reach

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Easter!! On a slow day, so thought I would bring this back. With a article at Cleveland.com & loss of major FA's in roster & analytically being involved in our new FO most have us with the notion of Trading Down, if our goal is rebuilding through the drafts. It always takes two but here's the possible. 49'ers from 7 to 2 will cost them, a future 1st rounder & maybe a 3rd or 4th. Philly from 8-2 is same as 49'ers plus a additional 2nd round pick. Rams from 15-2 will cost 3 1st rounder's & possible 2nd rounder if not more & may want to move up once before offering Browns the farm. These trade up offers our based on NFL trade value charts. Again, am not throwing out Wentz or Goff as our future but our FO & Hue will be there to take the calls..

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:14 AM

looks as maybe goff screwed up his interview hoping browns dont pick him is my guess. Beare
Steve Mariucci says Goff is the best pure passer in the draft. But I've been saying this very thing - in interviews,
he just doesn't seem to smile much, and maybe it's arrogance/self-centeredness - just seems like he doesn't interview
relaxed. Doesn't smile. Wentz smiles, jokes around, perfectly at ease with other people, interviews and himself.
For me, it's Wentz, 100% at #2. From what I see, Goff seems like Jay Cutler. Wentz's teammates flock to him
on their pro day. On Goff's pro day...not so much at all. Wentz openly was friends with his LT, Haeg. Goff,
who knows. Just my impressions.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:14 AM

looks as maybe goff screwed up his interview hoping browns dont pick him is my guess. Beare
Steve Mariucci says Goff is the best pure passer in the draft. But I've been saying this very thing - in interviews,
he just doesn't seem to smile much, and maybe it's arrogance/self-centeredness - just seems like he doesn't interview
relaxed. Doesn't smile. Wentz smiles, jokes around, perfectly at ease with other people, interviews and himself.
For me, it's Wentz, 100% at #2. From what I see, Goff seems like Jay Cutler. Wentz's teammates flock to him
on their pro day. On Goff's pro day...not so much at all. Wentz openly was friends with his LT, Haeg. Goff,
who knows. Just my impressions.

Hard to be friends with your linemen when they don't protect you. Goff succeeded despite his O-line, not because of them. One of the reasons I like him.

he just doesn't seem to smile much, and maybe it's arrogance/self-centeredness - just seems like he doesn't interview[/size]

relaxed. Doesn't smile. Wentz smiles, jokes around, perfectly at ease with other people, interviews and himself.[/size]

For me, it's Wentz, 100% at #2. From what I see, Goff seems like Jay Cutler. Wentz's teammates flock to him[/size]

on their pro day. On Goff's pro day...not so much at all. Wentz openly was friends with his LT, Haeg. Goff,[/size]

who knows. Just my impressions.[/size]

At 24 vs. 22 Wentz might be expected to be the more comfortable of the two in interviews.

As for Pro Day interactions with teammates... I saw very little difference. One of the NFL Network heads even commented on Goff's "presence" in the weight room prior to the move to the field for drills.

I'd fall out of my chair at Canton Mike's, if the Browns traded down. Get your future qb

at 2. Just nobody step on me....if worse comes to worse...

• 2 weeks later...

UR exactly right. At this point, they just need draft choices. I was hoping Gordon

might be straightened out for next season but he's not so that makes it even more important to

draft a receiver. Due to all these needs I would not draft a QB. They should have a good idea

if RG3 is possibly going to revive himself by next year. Linemen, receivers and DBs are really needed

now.

UR exactly right. At this point, they just need draft choices. I was hoping Gordon

might be straightened out for next season but he's not so that makes it even more important to

draft a receiver. Due to all these needs I would not draft a QB. They should have a good idea

if RG3 is possibly going to revive himself by next year. Linemen, receivers and DBs are really needed

now.

Of course, you need to have someone who can throw to those receivers. Are you good with our current corps of QBs, RG, McCown, Davis, Shaw?

Archived