THE BROWNS BOARD

Keith Emerson dead at 71

saw elp twice...first time the opening act was yes....that was 1971...what a great show....saw them again with no opening act in 75....wonder if carl palmer and is it greg lake are still going...

Cant speak to Lake, but Carl Palmer is very much alive and kicking.....he's a vintage drum collector and clinician and had the chance to meet him once at the Chicago Vintage Show about 15 yrs ago.....another one with great chops.....

Cant speak to Lake, but Carl Palmer is very much alive and kicking.....he's a vintage drum collector and clinician and had the chance to meet him once at the Chicago Vintage Show about 15 yrs ago.....another one with great chops.....

wow that must have been friggin awesome...i also know this much....lake had or still has a fabulous voice...what a vocalist...yeah and palmer is one of the best percussionists ever...

Keith Emerson dead at 71

Fuck...

ELP's Silver LP is a classic... Lucky Man was a great track...

While in college paid one of many visits to the original AudioCraft in the 39th block of Carnegie with a couple roommates. We were salivating in the high $$$ room while a middle-aged man systematically tortured speakers with Emerson's synth solo at the end of the Lucky Man tract... where notes soar high until crashing to the floor at the end... one of the deeper notes recorded outside of a Bach fugue to that time.

After a few minutes he removed the grills from a pair of AR's (6's, I think), cranked the track even louder, and proceeded to fold one of the woofers in half. He then calmly walked out of the store. We'd thought the dude worked there....

Farewell, Keith...

Never a big fan of theirs - probably because I never did a deep dive on their music. That being said, I understand EL&P were a sophisticated group of musicians.

Looks like many of these guys should start collecting Social Security at 62, rather than waiting for their official retirement age.

Archived